(How much) Do you tip your auto mechanic?

So I dropped my car off for its 60k mile check-up/tune-up at an independent garage. When I pick it up, is a gratuity expected since this is, I suppose, a “service” industry? If so, how much?

Side note: How much should a 60k mile tuneup cost?

I’ve never tipped a mechanic. I have tipped movers though.

Tip… my mechanic?

Never heard of such a thing.

I tip waiters, my hairstylist, and the person who does my nails.

I wouldn’t tip a mechanic if he was standing over me with a wrench. Anyway, my husband does most of my mechanic work.

Tip a mechanic? Why? Most of the time you tip people it’s when they are being paid a fairly low base wage in anticipation of getting tips for good service. I don’t think this the model mechanics are paid on. Most of the time I don’t even see the mechanic, just the front end person at the desk. Most hard working mechanics in dealerships I know are paid fairly well with good benefits. It’d be like tipping a doctor, lawyer or real estate agent.

If he’s doing you some huge favor maybe, but my auto service invoice listing hourly labor rates tells me someone’s being paid reasonably well.

I don’t tip my mechanic or my hairdresser.

Absolutely not.

Ooooh. I always tip the hairdresser. It’s bad hair insurance. I usually tip 25%. They really don’t want to see me freaking out over a bad 'do.

Sweety is my mechanic. Heh. We won’t discuss what kind of tips he gets.

A 60,000 mile checkup on my Civic could run from $300-$600 depending on what all they have to replace. Some things like timing belts are labor-intensive ~ labor is always the more expensive part of the bill.

I don’t tip my hairdresser, either. He makes more money than I do !

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Puhlease. Why would I tip someone for ripping me off?

This reminds me…How much should I tip the Dr. when he does the anal probe bit?

Admit it. You (the OP) ARE an auto mechanic and this is a thinly disguised effort to propagate an insane practice. You’re busted, dude.

Another vote for not tipping the auto mechanic.

It would never occur to me to tip a mechanic. Ever. Not at the dealer, not an independent. They’re reasonably paid professionals.

Well, if people are going to start tipping auto mechanics, they’d better start tipping their kids’ teachers too.

They include the tip in the bill, IMHO.
What’s next, tipping your lawyer? Your real estate agent? Your psychiatrist?

I pay CAD$80/hr for my mechanic. He isn’t getting a tip.

What Meanoldlady said. I want a negative tip from those bastards.

1 second after posting I realised that sounded pretty dumb. What I meant to say is I’d like to give them a negitive tip.

I’m facing a crisis of sarcasm. I never thought it could happen to me but even the joke about how much I tip my ass rapist doesn’t seem like enough here. NO FREAKING WAY will I ever tip a mechanic.