The Lightbulb as a symbol of an idea

Where did the lightbulb as a symbol of an idea first originate? Usually we see in an illustration or even in a story where a person thinks of something and a lightbulb shows over their head. Who was the first person or where was this first published? Did a cartoonist come up with this bright idea?

I have no cite, but I understand that it’s a reference to the “original” good idea Thomas Edison had when he invented the light bulb.

I’m going to research this a little more. Did you try Google? (not complaining, just wondering)

I always thought it was just a particularly good metaphor. Most good ideas dawn on us suddenly (notice the usage of the word “dawn” in this context), and lightbulbs light up suddenly when you flip the switch.

Yeah, I’mwith Joe. I figured it was the sudden realisation of a good idea matching the instant ‘on’ of a light bulb. Also, the brightness of knowledge as opposed to the dim murk of ignorance.

Or something.

What I need is to find out specifically where this idea came from? Who was to first to publish this–is this written down in some reference or book alluding to this?

Actually, Edison did not invent the light bulb.

What he (or, really, workers in his lab) did was to come up with a way of manufacturing light bulbs that were cheap enough and durable enough to make incandescent electric lighting competitive with the common gas lights of the time.

Here’s one cite, but googling on “invention light bulb” will find you many more.

Why the urgent need for specifics?

Slight hijack: the cartoonist’s cliche has now been incorporated into a corporate logo – as designed by XTC’s Andy Partridge.

:slight_smile:

Good luck on tracking down the originating artist on this one… I have a feeling this will be almost as difficult as, say, determining who pioneered the “one or two guys marooned on a miniscule desert island with a palm tree” cartoon scenario.

Just an illustration of the term"seeing the light"!

It represents understanding or sudden awareness.

Just like -----a light’bulb’ isn’t bulb at all-----but a lamp