anyone been thru police academy???

i decided 8 months ago that the corporate environment wasn’t for me and liked the idea of going into law enforcement here in sacramento. i’ve been going thru the screening process for the last 5 months and am now at the point where i’m pretty confident that i’ll be in the academy next month.

anyone been thru one? i can’t find a whole lot of info on people’s experience going thru it so i thought i’d ask here.

thanks!
Deo

Just watch out for that Sarge who just wants you out…Try replacing his shampoo with crazy glue if he gets on your nerves. :smiley:

Hopefully someone can dig up Badge’s Ask The Police Officer thread, because that’d be a really good read. Anyway, I know a little bit about it, never been. It’ll probably depend on the department, but it could be just a 9-5 thing, or it could be a “living-in-dorms” boot camp kinda thing where your bed has to be made JUST so or you do pushups. You’re gonna do lots of calisthenics and exercise no matter what and there’ll be shooting training, classroom stuff on laws and procedures, and lots of practical stuff like driving instruction, crowd control, and so on.

yes, i’ve read thru BADGE’s ‘ask the police officer’ thread… VERY informative. that’s really great of him to keep that going.

as for the academy, i guess i KINDA know what to expect as far as the structure. it will be held at the local former air force base here in sac and it will be an 8-5 thing (no boarding). uniforms, lots of classwork, physical training, etc… i was just looking for a few ppl that have been thru it and what their experiences were. i’m just a wee bit nervous about the whole thing. i’ve been a bean-counter (aka accountant) for about 10yrs now and it’s what i went to school for, so this will be a huge change for me.

i’ll post in BADGE’s thread and see if he can give me more insight.

btw, about the sarge that just wants me out… i’m expecting a whole lot of that type of stuff but hopefully i won’t be singled out. the background investigator that was working on my file told me several times to expect a semi-military environment. :smiley:

thanks!
Deo