How many times around a track to equal 1 mile?

I am going to start running. There is a school nearby with a track in the field and I was wondering, how many times around would equal a mile? I am assuming, of couse, that track size tends to be a certain standard…

A standard track is usually 1/4 of a mile.

…Although newer, bigger tracks here in the U.S. are sometimes 400 meters. Four times around one of those would be a little longer.

…Although newer, bigger tracks here in the U.S. are sometimes 400 meters. Four times around one of those would be a little longer than a mile.

An olympic track is 400m, there is 1603.44 metres in a mile

So you have to run 4 times round the track and then another 3.44 metres.

Not only do I err by double posting, I err in my math. My apologies.

I agree with friedo but it also matters which lane you run in, right? The inner lane would have to be a shorter distance around than the outer. So where is 1/4 mile measured from? The middle? How much of a difference between the inner most and outer most lanes?

The starting points are staggered to make up for that.

Ok even if some are slightly shorter than 1/4 mile. Where is the distance measured from?

As Ultrafilter said, the starting points are staggered and after IIRC the first bend (haven’t ran the 1500m since I was at school) you move into the inside lane.

The starting points for the 400m (where you have to keep your lane) are measured from the finishing line.

Run around the inside lane of a standard H.S. track 4 times for each mile.

I usually switch lanes after each lap. It helps me keep track of my lap count. One lap, each lane, 1 through 6. One lap, each lane, 6 through 1. 12 total laps or 3 miles.

I’ve never relly thought about it but considering the stagger, am I running significantly more than 3 miles?

My mind wanders and I always lose track of how many laps I’ve run. I used to pick up a bunch of pebbles and drop one after each lap to keep track. Another way is to just measure out a mile on a bicycle with an odometer (it’s more accurate than a car odometer if it’s calibrated right and you can ride off road, on tracks, etc.). Then time yourself a few times to find out how long it takes you to run a mile. Then you can just time yourself and run anywhere and have a good estimate of how far you went. When I first started running, I found a two mile track around a golf course and jogged/walked it until I could make it all the way around without walking. It was a good goal and easier for me to cover the distance and not quit if it was one big lap instead of a lot of shorter ones.
Good luck! Have fun.

Here is a good link that has what you’re looking for.

MC, from what I hear, there are 1609.344 meters to a mile. So, four times around plus 9.344 meters (about 10 yards).

You’re probably right bannon, it wouldn’t be the first time I’ve made atypo with a number today.

Correct, assuming the track was made in the Metric Era. Some tracks, btw, will have the mile stripe about 30 feet (the 9.344 meters) behind the finish line, so you would start there, cross the finish line, then run 4 laps. Depends on what events they run in your state, probably.

Just look at the distance between the finish line and the start of the 400m dash, that is the extra you are running per lap. It adds up, but it’s not like you have really been running 3 and a half miles or anything.

For some real fun, try sprinting once around the inside of a track.

Most high school tracks in America are based on a quarter mile loop as measured from the inside lane. It’s considered good etiquette to avoid the inside lane when training because that is where the majority of wear and tear happens and you want to save it for real competition. However, with the new synthetic tracks this may not be important anymore.