"Finding Nemo" borrowed music gag? (SPOILERS)

When I watched this, I could swear they played the music from The Shawshank Redemption in the climactic scene where

all the fish are pushing the net down and the trawler boom breaks.

Did anyone else notice this?

Both scores were written by Thomas Newman, so it’s not surprising if bits will sound a little like each other.

Incidentally, his cousin Randy wrote the music for all the other Pixar features.

Heh… a few minutes into Finding Nemo, I poked my wife and whispered “I bet 10 to 1 that the music was composed by Thomas Newman.” She rolled her eyes (she doesn’t share my love for film music), but sure enough, there was his name in the credits at the end.

Thomas Newman’s one of my favorite composers. I was initially attracted to his work by his score for The Shawshank Redemption, but I’ve followed his through all sorts of different movies. I love the way that he has a “signature” sound, but also manages to bring something original to each film.

I thought his score for Finding Nemo was brilliant, and a refreshing change from Randy Newman. Not that I don’t like Randy; I think his music is damn good too, and his work for the other Pixar movies is some of his best. However, they were all starting to sound the same… choosing a new composer for Finding Nemo really gave the whole movie a new feel to it.

If you like Thomas Newman’s music, be sure to also check out his scores for American Beauty, In The Bedroom, Scent of a Woman, and Meet Joe Black, among others.

Don’t forget the theme to Six Feet Under.