Harry Potter Book Marked-Up [No Spoilers]

Mods, if you feel this belongs elsewhere, by all means, move it. I didn’t know quite where to put it - it seems awfully trivial for GQ.

So.

My SO ordered Harry Potter And The Order Of The Pheonix from Amazon. It arrived on Saturday, in Amazon’s special Harry Potter packaging. There are some markings on at least one of the pages of the book that appear to have been done by hand with a black permanent marker! It looks like it’s supposed to be the number “10,” “19” or maybe “61.” It’s soaked right through the page, so the mark is visible on the other side. The marking is right over top of the text at the start of one of the chapters. Someone had to actually open the book to scrawl this in here - it’s clearly very deliberate. It doesn’t make the book unreadable, but it’s very annoying - this is supposed to be a brand-new book, after all.

Does anyone have any idea where this mark could have come from, and what it could be for? Has anyone else seen anything similar in their copy of the new Harry Potter book? Or any other book for that matter?

Yeah, someone had put a giant X right thru the text where Hermione dies. It was a horrible distraction in such a gripping scene.

OK, that didn’t happen, just playing around. I haven’t read (or even bought) the book.

I’d defintiely call up Amazon and let them know. I’m sure you’ll get a new copy.

It might have been on the paper before they printed the book, a lot marking number or something like that.

Profane Creation: Yeah, we may ask Amazon for a replacement. In our copy, it’s right around where Voldemort cuts off Harry’s hand and tells him that Hermione is really his sister. :wink:

Ethilrist: I take it you are suggesting a manufacturing fault? This occurred to me after my original post. I wonder how to tell if the marker or the printer’s ink went onto the page first.

Return it and ask for another copy.
Someone ordered the Deluxe Edition that supposed to come in a book box and cloth cover… got shipped the regular version instead. :frowning: That’s definitely going back.