The Doors' Touch Me "Stronger than dirt?"

WHat the hell are they saying at the very end of the song Touch Me.

All i ever hear is “Stronger than Dirt”

It IS “Stronger than Dirt”. It was the tagline to a radio and/or TV commercial for AJAX laundry detergent.

The whole line is “AJAX, laundry detergent, is stronger than dirt!”.

I’ve never noticed them singing it because I’m always singing it myself. Those four notes just pull it out of somebody of a certain age.

When I was a kid, back in the 1960s, Ajax Laundry Detergent commercials always featured a white knight on a horse. He’d go riding past people in dirty clothes, you’d hear a deep voice singing “stronger than dirt,” and zap! The clothes would be fresh and clean.

The Doors were just making fun of a popular TV commercial.

Dang. I always thought it was “stronger than blood.”

Being an avid Doors fan, I tend to read a lot about them. (No, not the “New Doors” the originals, man.) I once read a story, explaining the Stronger than dirt line, and explained it that a certain company approached Jim about using his song in a commercial and he refused and then proceeded to make fun of it in this song. I have also read that a company DID use one of their songs in a commercial (for some reason a tire commercial rings in, but I think that’s the movie interfering with truth), without his permission (was this before royalties were an issue?) and to get back at corporations in general, he chose a familiar tag line to mock them. No telling if this true, can anyone verify this?

I doubt it was before royalties, but sometimes stuff like that happens without permission.

gobbles, I believe that the company that used a Doors song without Jim Morrison’s knowledge was Buick. I thought the tougher than dirt line was just the guys goofing off in the studio.

I also think it was Buick who used Light My Fire in a commericial.

In the Oliver Stone “Doors” movie, there is a scene where the ad comes on a TV that Morrison is watching and he heaves it out a window just like Brett Favre throwing a TD pass.