Taking Gideon Bibles

Is it okay to take the Bibles that are placed in hotel rooms by the Gideons? I was told that this was the purpose of these Bibles–to help spread the Gospel. I still have one of these Bibles that I took many years ago and I was wondering if what I did was ‘wrong.’ :confused:

The Gideons give those bibles out like candy, I’d imagine that they’d be pleased that you took it.

Source: http://www.gideons.org/

I’d always understood that the Gideons wanted you to take the Bibles, but the hotels did not.

I like the Buddhist books in some Hawaiian hotels.

[Bill Hicks]
Who are the Gideons?
Ever met one? No!
Ever seen one? No!

I’m gonna capture a Gideon
“Front desk? Yeah, I don’t seem to have a bible in my room…”
[/Bill Hicks]

A somewhat related aside: why does the Gideons distribute only KJV Bibles? Wht not something that’s a bit easier for 21st century minds to read, like the NIV?

Well this came up a few months ago, and since I knew it would come up again I started looking at the Bibles when I went on my road trips. The only one I remember seeing had a note on it to please take this Bible. I can’t remember where I was though as I do a lot of travel. So at least some say to take them.

I think Rocky Racoon was planning on swiping his…

Elmwood: KJV, because of its age, is public domain. No royalties have to be paid, unlike NIV.

All the Gideon bibles I’ve seen in hotels over here have been the Good News or NIV.