I Recently Found the 'Character Map' on My Computer, and Just Have to Try It Out!

Up on till now, if I wanted to make special characters not already on my key board, I had to input a special code (as I’ve said before, I prefer to just highlight and copy what I want and paste–but that is just me;)). Now, rather by chance, I came across a website that tells how to get to the Character Map on your computer.

FYI, here is the website. As he says, once you click on start on the lower part of your screen…

I’m already there. And I just have to try some of these new symbols (as I’ve said before, I excite very easily;)).

The music note seems to be the only one that is giving trouble. But I’ll try it anyways: ♪♫. Hmm, it seems I can’t get that last one. Here are some more: ♂♀:spades::clubs::heart::diamonds:►▲▼∑∂:arrow_up_down:. Now, for some foreign letters. לּỳҗЮΦΏζЋЩœ. There have been many times I wanted fractions, but couldn’t get them. Here are a whole bunch: ¼½¾⅓⅔⅛⅜⅝⅞. Foreign currency notes: ₣₤¥€ (the f was a Franc mark, BTW). Copyright and trademark symbols: ©®™. This one symbol seems like it is never on keyboards, even though we still use it in America (but for how long with inflation, who knows). It is the cent sign: ¢.

Well, remember if you find anything here that you like, simply highlight it, copy it (you can simply press Ctrl+C to do that) and paste (Ctrl+V). There was also a link someone once provided for the special Alt codes for symbols. I know that has been mentioned before. But feel free to add that link to this thread if you want.

Class dismissed:)

Arnie’s special character page

** NoClueBoy ** -
When I see posts like this I always think “Why don’t they get it?” I agree with Jim B.
Codes are strictly 1980s technology, like typing http:// every time you entered a link in the browser.
Sure the old things still work, but we now have 1990s technology with Character Map. And some of us even have foreign keyboards that pop down in a single hotkey for both accent marks and symbols.
If somebody was happy they found the **http:// ** button on the post page, would you then direct them to the way we did it on prior software?
Embrace the present. The past is due for a rest.

Just to verify: The symbols I see from that are
“eighth note” “eighth note doublet”
“Mars” “Venus” “spade” “club” “heart” “diamond” “question mark” “solid triangle” “solid inverted triangle” “Summation” “partial derivative” “up-down arrow”
(something I don’t recognize) “y grave” “question mark” “IO ligature” “Phi” “Omega” “zeta” “hbar” (something else I don’t recognize) “oe ligature”
“1/4” “1/2” “3/4” “1/3” “2/3” “1/8” “3/8” “5/8” “7/8”
“franc” “pound sterling” “Yen” “euro”
“copyright” “registered trademark” “trademark”
“cent”

I suspect that the two question marks were supposed to be something else that my computer didn’t recognize, but were the others what you intended?

And exactly where did I say not do it JimB’s way? I simply pointed to an acceptable alternative.

Get over yourself.

Will do, Captain blah blah. No harm intended.

btw, JimB, i think what you found is pretty. neat. Some people have the codes fairly well committed to memory, though.

The only reason I posted Arnie’s page is to show there is another way.

I’m sure someone else has an even different way.

To everyone, if it works for you, do it your way. If a new (or different) way feels better, switch.

Perhaps I read your tone wrong. Apologies from me, too. :slight_smile:

I think this discussion is just about over. But to answer some of Chronos’ questions…

I guess you could call them that. I have to admit though, I didn’t see any quarter or whole notes, though, if you know what I mean;).

Actually, it was “Male” and “Female”–AKA Mars and Venus, though.

Absolutely. Now everything beyond this point gets a little hazy.

The character map has alot of foreign letters in it–including Greek, Cyrillic, Arabic and Hebrew. I was just punching keys at random at this point, so I really couldn’t tell you what the heck it was.

The rest is obviously correct. But when the uppercase cursive L has two horizontal lines thru it, it becomes a Lira. Here, compare: £₤.

About that, there actually a couple of characters that just didn’t come out period. I could place them elsewhere. But not on SDMB. Or as you said, maybe some computers just don’t show it. Je ne said pas.

In general, sure, but the escape codes are somewhat more accessible. That is, it’s more likely that people will be able to read the é if I type in é than if I hit Alt+130.

Huh, learn something new everyday. But I can still stand on the technicality, since the British pound and Italian lira were the same thing, before they both got inflated.

Escape sequences can be tricky. Some of them (I think including accented vowels like eacute) were in HTML from a very early period, but others (such as Greek letters) are a more recent addition, so they won’t show up on older browsers. I don’t think that there’s any method for representing Greek letters which will work on all browsers.

↑ WTF is that used for?

That means “per thousand,” IIRC. “%,” of course, means percent - “out of a hundred”; “‰” means per thousand. I think. It’s used when discussing concentrations.

You don’t have to do anything! You have free will!

STOP ENSLAVING YOURSELF!

Chronos

The first something is the Hebrew letter לּ. It’s called “lamed” and makes the L sound. From what I know (and it ain’t much), it can be written with or without the central dot, called a “dagesh.”

The following something is a Cyrillic letter. Makes the sound “shch” and is called “shchah”. It’s an odd sound.

☼◙

I want to give this a try.

†, ‡, ™, &amp, ®, §, ¶, ¼, &spades, &diams

The HTML Name Code didn’t work for some reason.