Recent Literary Quotations

I recently finished reading Hannibal, by Thomas Harris. The book had two quotes that stuck in my mind so fiercely that the page numbers were easy to recall weeks after finishing it.

“The worm that destroys you is the temptation to agree with your critics, to get their approval.”

Also, in dealing with evil people:

“God’s choices in inflicting suffering are not satisfactory to us, nor are they understandable, unless innocence offends Him. Clearly, he needs some help in directing the blind fury with which He flogs the earth.”

Thomas Harris
“Hannibal”

Have you seen any quotes by modern authors that really caught your attention lately?

“Avoidable human misery is more often caused not so much by stupidity as by ignorance, particularly our own ignorance about ourselves.” - Carl Sagan, “The Demon Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark”

Oh, and this one by Sagan too:
“If you want to save your child from polio, you can pray or you can inoculate.” - Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark"

“I don’t really meet people. I usually just sneak up on them.”

“I used to think my life made no sense. Now I appreciate the sense my life used to make.”

-me