Folk song "Orion" / Silver Burdett elementary music book?

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction . . .

I first learned this song in about the fifth grade – it was in our school music book. I happened to get my hands on one of the old books when the school got new books, and I would play the song over and over on the piano. I loved it. But eventually the book got sold in a rummage sale or something, and I remembered most of the melody, but only a few fragments of the lyrics. And since Orion is one of the few constellations I can identify, the song often came to mind.

Once I got on the Internet, I would periodically search to see if I could find the missing lyrics. I always came up with nothing, so eventually I gave up.

But recently a friend of mine had a baby boy and named him . . . Orion. So I’ve had a fresh inspiration to try to find those words. Last night I went back to Google and found the site linked above. Score!

Unfortunately, I thought I knew the whole melody but there’s a part of the lyrics that doesn’t fit what I recall. Also, I’m terrible at working out chords on the piano, so it would really help if I could get my hands on the sheet music.

I’ve got queries out to my mom and sister, but I bet the copy of the book I had is gone. I’m pretty sure it was published by Silver Burdett (& Ginn?) and had a blue swirly design on the cover, but my memory could be wrong on both of those. It was a hardcover classroom music book from about the fifth grade, which for me was in 1976-77. I wish I could remember something more substantive – say, the title!!! – but all I have are these bits and pieces. I’ll also try contacting Silver Burdett & Ginn, but I have a feeling they’ll just laugh at me.

Anybody got a clue where else I might try to track this puppy down? (Or know of a recording of the song?) Music teachers? Anyone? Bueller?

Sorry to resurrect a 7 year old thread, but I stumbled across it looking for the same song! We must be the same age.

I don’t remember any of the lyrics. I just remembered the song name was Orion and have been trying to track it down.

Perhaps now, after all this time, there is someone out there that knows the answer?

If I’d just gone a few more links into my search.

Is this the same song?

There’s a link on the page to the song sung by the composer of the song.

I remember singing that song too. Byron Rice Elementary School, 1978.

My dad was a music teacher, and I remember my brother (who was in Dad’s class) singing the song at home. Here are the lyrics.(scroll to bottom of page).

Wow, blast from the past!

After hacking together a rough version for my friend’s baby (who just turned 7!) I did re-Google this song a few years ago, and found it in several places, including a recording of it by the composer. I performed it at our local folk music festival this summer. Great little song.

Maybe when I have time (not until after Thanksgiving at least!) I’ll track down those links and post them here.