When did Jason get the hockey mask?

SPOILERS WITHOUT THE BLACK BOXES LIE BELOW!!!

First Friday the 13th: the mother is the killer an an otherwise adequate movie. Surprised me totally, as I was expecting Jason. Has Kevin Bacon in what might be his first role. (Factoid: Johnny Depp’s first – I think – role was in Nightmare on Elm Street.)

Second Friday the 13th: Jason is the killer, but he runs around with a pillow case on his head in a farce that includes him getting kicked in the ground then hopping around in pain and a chase scene that is far too similar to those old Elmer Fudd hunting Bugs Bunny sequences.

I don’t know if my sociological curiosity can stand up to the third, fourth, or fifth ones. Can someone just clue me in as to when the machete wielding, supernatural, lumbering goliath in the hockey mask came about?

Third movie. Can’t remember the circumstances though. And Part 3 I won’t sit through again. It was originally in 3D and watching any 3d movie in 2D comes off really stupid when people hold things toward the camera for no reason.

… groin…

oh, my alluvial mud…

He gets it at the beginning of part 3, along with his machette. I think he steals both out of someone’s shed.

My kid raised a question.

Does Jason’s mom wear a hockey mask in the first one?

The fat guy in part III had the hockey mask. Jason killed him and took it.

The best Friday the 13th was the final chapter. That brunette from Weird Science gets naked. Very nice. One of the best nude bodies on film. Maybe I think that only becaus I came of age and that “helped” me along. Plus, nude twins. The topping on all that cake? Crispin Glover gets whacked! Only thing that would have made it perfect is if Corey Feldman got killed.

Kevin Bacon had a few roles before Friday the 13th, including a part in the classic comedy Animal House.

You’re right about Johnny Depp, though, at least according to the IMDb. Earliest role listed there is as Glen Lantz in Nightmare on Elm Street from 1984.

Yeah, the opening credits of the first Nightmare on Elm Street read, “Introducing Johhny Depp”. He also had a brief cameo in the 6th NoES movie, Freddy’s Dead: The Final Nightmare.

As has already been said, but let me put it in a bit more detail (unboxed spoilers below):

After his downfall in the second movie (which I haven’t seen, but the ending is recapped at the start of the third), they pull off the sack that he used as a mask. He then wanders around, stealing some clothes, and finally stealing the hockey mask from one of his victims.

At the end of the third movie, he gets a hatchet to the head, which chips the mask. No one ever takes it off him, and he just keeps it on through the end of the fourth movie, when a strap gets cut and it falls off.

Corey Feldman’s character keeps the mask through the beginning of movie six, when he brings it with him to Jason’s grave (after apparently mending the chopped strap), and Jason puts it back on when he’s resurrected (this is the first point where he’s truly a “monster” instead of “ugly slasher who’s just really difficult to kill”).

Although strangely, I’d say it’s really the fifth movie that Jason adopts the machete as a trademark weapon, even though he’s used one off-and-on before.

It always bugged me that he used an obsolete style of hockey mask that hadn’t been used by real hockey players for a good five years or more. Then, another 10 years after that, the Anaheim Mighty Ducks make that type of mask their logo :mad: