why do i get nosebleeds in the shower?

Sometimes when i get a nosebleed it happens in the shower. In fact i would say many of my nosebleeds occur in the shower which makes no sense as you would assume the moisture would be good. So what is doing it? Am i absorbing water through my skin, making my skin weaker or what?

I get these too. Usually, it’s after a week long business trip (with flights at both ends) to somewhere like Denver where the air is dryer than D.C. By the time I get home and take my Saturday morning shower, the damage has already been done. Once you get in a (presumably hot) shower, your blood pressure goes up, and if your blood vessels are already damaged, that pressure difference can burst them.

I usually just let it bleed itself out in the shower, so that I don’t have to muck about with tissues all day.

I’d mention it to your MD—it could be a blood pressure issue.
Think about it—does a bloody nose represent a normal state?
Does everyone have a bloody nose when they shower?
Cyn, RN

I get nosebleeds in the shower too. Apparently we are not alone. Googling nosebleed and shower brings up dozens of blog entries from people with the same problem. I always assumed it had something to do with the change from cold, dry air to warm, wet air, but I can’t seem to find any definitive explanation. Interestingly, some medical sites recommend taking a shower and breathing the warm, moist air as a way to prevent nosebleeds.

I had this problem many years ago. I went to an ENT doctor who said it was a “sensitive” vein in my nose that would “relax” from the moist air and “open up” (sorry, I wasn’t very objective back then, and it was a very long time ago). He stuck something on the end of a Q-Tip up my nostril to cauterize it, and I haven’t had the problem since.

i dont know. My BP is slightly hypertensive (146/88) but i normally dont get nosebleeds except in the winter. I also get alot of static electricity in the winter too (i made another post about this on GQ).

You get a slight nosebleed in a dry environment; it clots fairly quickly. It heals more slowly. You take a hot shower. The warmth and wet loosen the clot. Bingo, nosebleed.
This makes sense if it happens after a trip to a very dry place, but not when you take showers at other times.

I may be a freak…(probably) but, I’ve never had a nosebleed in my life. My brother used to get them quite often as we were growing up. The only time I’ve ever had my nose bleed was when it was broken in a stupid bar-fight I got into. (It was broken)…worst pain I can remember was putting it back into place.

If I remember correctly though, my brother always had them in the dry time right before Winter. (We grew up in North Dakota).

Hot showers actually lower, not rise your blood pressure, because it dilates your peripheral circulation. I guess the steam from the hot water should help keep the nose mucosa moist and prevent nosebleeds that are caused by dryness, but using some deduction here, the warmer temperature inside a hot shower will likely dilate the vessels in the nose, and it is one of the sites of the body with greater concentration of vessels, and may cause some bleeding.
I can’t imagine nosebleeds are normal in any form, I would definetely check it out as it may be an indication of something else being wrong, and if chronic, may actually cause anemia?

I don’t get nose bleeds in the shower, in fact, I take a warm to hot shower to get rid of them. Some last for 20 minutes if I don’t take a shower. If I take a shower, then they only last for like 5 minutes. I think it depends on the person.