Do you condition your beard?

Guys (and bearded ladies), do you condition your beard? I just re-grew a goatee for Halloween and decided to keep it for a while (apparently it makes me look “hot”) and the hairs are pretty stiff and dry. I tried some regular top-of-the-head conditioner and it seemed to help a bit but didn’t last long. It’s been a million years since the last time I had facial hair so I don’t remember what if anything I used to do before. Any suggestions?

I personally prefer to use a leave in conditioner in my beard. I don’t recall the exact name of the one I like a the moment (and I am out of it) but Aussi makes a spray in conditioner and detangler that really makes my beard feel soft. A definate improvemnt on the “brillo pad” feel. Particularly in certain…er… close situations where someone elses sensitive skin may be exposed :slight_smile:

I use a conditioning shampoo, but I also keep my beard combed and neat, training all the hairs in the downward direction

My husband uses bar soap. I wish he would give it the full treatment. It’s soft, but it could be softer. It’s very long.

I’ve worn a beard for years. I just use soap and water to clean it. I have a little comb that I comb it with after showers and also afte meals. Crumbs you know.

I’ve a goatee, and I currently use conditioning shampoo on it. When there’s conditioner, I use it as well.

When conditioner is not used, it tends to not—um—make hair managable, and when we’re talking unmanagable short, thick hair, that’s not good.

I have a full, untrimmed beard that currently averages out to around 3 inches, and every other day I shampoo and condition it, with the conditioner left in for about 5 minutes. I do comb it several times a day, both to remove any unnoticed cruft that may have found its way into it (like crumbs), and to make sure it maintains an even shape rather than getting all lopsided. The conditioner is essential, for without it my beard tends to tangle up and resemble steel wool.

I use the same shampoo I use on my head on my beard. Currently it’s a cheap bottle of White Rain.

I just recently started using it on my beard (2-inch goatee), and there’s a big difference in softness and manageability.

Now that I think about it, I believe I started because of something I’d heard another Doper say.

I keep my beard fairly close-cropped, so it does tend to be just a tad bristly if I don’t condition it. However, I have yet to find a conditioner that doesn’t cause me to break out from time to time under my beard (clogged pores, I presume). Since I have no S.O. at present, I don’t bother with the conditioner. Makes my skin a little happier. But if I do hook up with a ladyfriend again, I will most certainly start back up. Kissably soft is worth a zit here and there, assuming you have someone to kiss.

I too have a chin piece and like mrklutz I find that conditioner on my face leaves pimples (in spite of my being well into middle age).

I keep the beard clean and trimmed and my wife says she likes the feeling as is.

TV

Every couple of years I grow my beard out, usually for a play. When I shave it off afterwards, I get a lot of people asking me why. My usual reply is: I got tired of shampooing my face. Generally shuts 'em up.