Shaggy & Scooby Vs. The Lord Of The Nazgul

This evening, I found a copy of the old animated Return Of The King DVD in a dump box for $7. I bought it, if only to have a copy of the great Orc marching song, “Where There’s A Whip, There’s A Way.”

HAD to play it for the family, when we got home. Wang-Kette snickered. Mrs. Ka sat there with her mouth open in shock the whole time. Was great.

…but then, we decided to poke around on the disc a little further. Check out various songs and scenes. And the voices… well… the voices began to … GET to me. Cognitive dissonance. Confusion. Deep weirdness.

Bilbo and Frodo are both done by Orson Bean, and Gandalf is done by John Huston, and that’s okay. Hell, John Huston sounds more like Gandalf than Ian McKellen does.

…but Samwise immediately made me think Planet Of The Apes for some reason. I don’t know why, but I kept thinking about talking monkeys. It took me a minute to realize that the voice was Roddy McDowell.

Elrond, on the other hand, I found… disturbing. I kept expecting him to outline a plan vhere ve vill get dat stupid moose and squirrel. I checked the credits. Yup. Paul Frees, best remembered as the voice of Boris Badenov, from the old Rocky & Bullwinkle show.

It got worse. Denethor’s voice is provided by William Conrad, best remembered from his old cop shows, Jake & The Fat Man, and Cannon. Weird, hearing a big fat man’s voice coming out of that little skinny old dude.

…but when the battle of Pellenor Field breaks out, it’s every man for himself. Most of the rest of the voices seem to be provided by the cast of Scooby Doo, Where Are You? Don Messick seems to be providing several voices, and Merry’s voice is the very distinctive Shaggy… aka Casey Kasem.

It’s a damn weird thing to hear Shaggy up there, spouting Tolkien’s florid prose. I kept expecting Pippin to reply, “Eheeheehee! Right, Raggy!”

What’s worse, both hobbits are in the thick of it when the Witch-King of Angmar shows up. I have no idea who provided the voice, but it was the same guy who always did the monster on Scooby Doo when the monster shrieked or did a high-pitched banshee cackle. This actor did a very similar voice for Starscream on the old Transformers cartoon, and may be the least attractive voice I’ve ever heard out of a human, the vocal equivalent of fingernails down a blackboard. Fortunately, we don’t have to listen to the Witch King for very long, before Pippin trips over a rope and bowls him over, and Merry accidentally drops a bathtub on him, and then Eowyn pulls his mask off to reveal that the Witch King is actually Farmer Maggot, who’s still pissed off at Merry and Pippin about those carrots…

Man, where did my suspension of disbelief go?

I nearly wet myself with laughter at this mental image…I so need to rent this/buy it with any Christmas money I aquire…

Seven bucks in the electronics section… Wal-Mart.

:slight_smile:

William Conrad was also the narrator on Rocky & Bullwinkle and played Matt Dillon in the original radio version of Gunsmoke.

I knew about Matt Dillon, but not about R&B… although, now that I think about it, you’re right, aren’t you?

Another reason I kept thinking about stupid moose and squirrel…

Let’s hope they’re still there around New Year’s.

::insert excitement::

Could that have been Frank Welker? He’s done zillions of voices, and he’s done them for Scooby and the Transformers over the years.

http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0919798/

Welker’s name wasn’t in the credits. I’m betting it was Don Messick, who was also on Scooby and has made a living doing zillions of voices over the years.

Not that I particularly wanted to know whose voice that was. It kind of sounds like Hans Conried, with a bad cold, after having taken a lungful of helium. Eesh…

Consider yourself lucky. I read the thread title and expected this:

WITCH-KING: No mortal man can defeat me!

SCOOBY: Rrrrri’m a rrrrog!

SCOOBY yanks off the Witch-King’s helm

SHAGGY: Yoinks!

DAPHNE and VELMA: Old Man Smithers!

FRED: You planned to destroy the world of Men by scaring away all the soldiers.

WITCH-KING: It would have worked, too, if it weren’t for you meddling kids!

Yep, I had exactly the same reaction when I saw this a while ago: “jinkies Gandalf!!”

I prob’ly shooda mentioned that the voices of the bad guys – various orcs, wraiths, and so forth – are the same voices we all grew up with as the various bad guys on Scooby Doo.

Except the Mouth Of Sauron. I’m not a hundred percent, but he sounded a LOT like the original Zorak, from the old Space Ghost series…

And Pippin (or was it Merry?) looked like Mister Potato Head.

ALL the hobbits kind of looked like Mister Potato Head, except for Frodo, who looked like Mister Potato Head With Huge Brown Eyes.

BuckleberryF, you’ll recognize it by the horrible box art. It’s the only animated film I’ve ever seen with box art WORSE than the animation art…

I don’t know if this is ok or not, but for those of you who really wanna hear the “If there is a whip there is a way song” Enjoy :slight_smile:

Thanks to Google, here’s a huge bunch of screen shots of this classic animated trainwreck.

Special bonus: Pantless Aragorn.

If it was the same guy that did the voice of Starscream on The Transformers, then it was not Frank Welker.

Starscream was voiced by Chris Latta, who also provided the equally-annoying voice of Cobra Commander on G.I. Joe.

Ooh! Even better! – The Pantless Aragorn Action Figure!

Man, squeegee, that is just so wrong!

Yep.

Um, I should probably have mentioned that Pantless Aragorn is from the Bakshi, not Rankin-Bass, version of Bizzaro-Tolkien-World.