Anybody see Bad Santa yet?

I just saw it yesterday, and it is definately the best Christmas movie I’ve ever seen. I haven’t laughed that hard in a long, long time. And it manages to have a somewhat happy ending without being cheesy.

“What the fuck do you want, kid?” :smiley:

I flat loved that movie. I can’t think of any actor that can play a better drunk that Billy Bob.

No and to be honest I don’t plan on it

I really enjoyed it, but geez, it horrifies me that people took kids to that movie.

The youngin’s in the theater spooked me. The gross humor in the movie spooked me even more. John Ritter didn’t work and those were some of the most disgusting wedgeyfied undies I’ve ever seen.

Also, I didn’t like it when the child cut his hand and started screaming. That jumped the realm of fantasy comedy to shear shock.

The sex jokes were appropriately dirty though :slight_smile:

It’s my favorite christmas movie ever.

“Fuckmesantafuckmesantafuckmesanta!”

I’ve seen it and I thought it was the funniest movie I’ve seen in a little while. It was definately a much needed change from the other christmas movies I’ve been bludgeoned with.

friedo - agree totally about the ending, I was a little worried about what they’d do.

Billy Bob Thornton made me laugh just being his character.

Same here! I’ve seen it twice now and it’s even funnier the second time. You’re laughing too much to catch all the lines and facial expressions. I told my husband that I can’t wait for the DVD to come out so I can watch it with subtitles, to get everything that’s being said.

I can understand people who don’t like profanity not liking the movie, but if your ears don’t turn (too) red at the f-word and a running gag about (ahem) alternative sexual practices, it’s laugh-out-loud funny.

And yet, for all the filthy language, it has a whacked-out sweetness and subtle sadness about it too. The stories that Willie tells of his abusive father makes you feel sorry for him, even if you forget that while he’s being a dick. Billy Bob Thornton deserves an Oscar nomination for this role (I realize that’s wishful thinking). I liked John Ritter’s character and thought he was perfect. Tony Cox as Marcus and Brett Kelly as the kid were great too. I’d never seen Lauren Graham in anything else and I liked her a lot as “Mrs. Santa’s sister.” :smiley:

I couldn’t wait to see it from the first time I heard about it. The story was by the Coen Brothers, and it’s directed by Terry Zwigoff (Louie Bluie, Crumb, Ghost World) so I knew it would be good. I was right.

Two nights before Christmas we went to the theater and took in a double feature of Elf (also very funny and sweet) and Bad Santa. They are SO perfect together! I think it’s now going to be a Christmas tradition, to watch those two back-to-back. (as long as there aren’t any kids around)

I thought this film was a demented masterpiece.

Billy Bob’s Santa was the most unrepentant drunk since Nic Cage left Las Vegas. I believed his character form the first minute of the film to the last.

As one of my friends pointed out, “the kid”, Thurman Merman, was like Ralph Wiggum come to life.

Great! My wife and dad loved it as i did, my mother and sister thought it was just too horrible.

–Cliffy

“I’M ON MY FUCKIN’ BREAK!”

What I love about that scene, Chefguy, is that for some reason, an alcoholic, foul-mouthed, store-robbing, reindeer-abusing, ass-fucking Santa, is eating a salad.

I find that sort of thing hilarious.

I haven’t walked out on a movie in 20 years, but I split on that stinker.

Not one laugh. Not even a chuckle. Sorry, but pre-adolescent usage of foul language doesn’t amuse me.

I didn’t find one thing remotely redeeming about that waste of $7.50.

I laughed so hard, I wound up with a headache. It’s going to be my new Christmas tradition as well.

Ah, well… Shit happens when you party naked.

hrh

None of the pre-adolescents in the movie swore. But I guess you wouldn’t know, since you didn’t see the whole movie. Didn’t you read any reviews or anything before you went?? You’re like the people who are taking their kids because it’s got “Santa” in the title, and then complain about the bad language and sexual jokes.

hrhomer, :wink:

I saw it. I found it disturbingly humorous but the thing that kept it from being really funny was the Alcoholism…Personally I thought it was kind of depressing in a way. I mean, he’s a mean guy because he doesn’t have any self esteem- he’s a drunk because his father raised him to be one.

I thought John Ritter was pretty good. The scenes when he was talking to the security guy (another famous actor, name escapes me) and the security guy is noisily sucking on orange wedges and glaring at John Ritter’s character…I swear its really hard to faithfully re-create a generic awkward/uncomfortable moment, but they hit the nail right on the head. Between the guy’s facial expression, the way he was eating (eurrgghh! gross!) and John Ritter’s hushed talking “He told her, ‘You’re not going to S-H-I-T right for a week’ in the changing room” made the scene really funny.

Creepily very funny, by the time the credits were rolling I wanted to take a shower. Good ol’ Billy Bob can play a sleazeball alright. Some scenes were overlong, and drawn out too much[I call it the Saturday Night Live syndrome] The ending was a little too pat:however it was the dialogue that really made the movie enjoyable. What the heck was the 30 seconds, or so, of film time given to a certain sitcom actress from the 70’s?

Yeah, and what makes the scene so horrifying/hilarious/repulsive is the greens doused in balsamic vinegar slopping out of his mouth. You don’t know whether to feel sorry for whatever caused such rage, or to laugh out loud.