Nasty metallic taste and wheeziness after running: what gives? Will it go away?

As I’ve finally brought my weight under 200 lb., I’ve started running. My cardiovascular system is currently ass, and I can only manage a sustained run of a few minutes at a time, but I know that that will increase with time.
I have noticed some very odd and fairly disturbing side effects after I’ve run for a bit.
For one thing, I get a nasty metallic/chemical aftertaste in the back of my mouth, but drinking water will get rid of it. I’m more worried about the fact that a little while after running, when I breathe deeply, I hear nasty wheezy overtones to my breathing.
Anyone else encounter these symptoms or know what they mean? If I keep up running for a little bit until I can do it more, will they go away?

The taste is probably iron in the blood. As you’re working the blood vessels are expanding which means more blood is flowing into areas like the back of you mouth. As for the wheezing I’m sure someone will come along to answer that. Good luck with the jogging. I hope you keep it up.

The wheeziness might just be a symptom of your taxing your cardiovascular system past what its used to. I get something similar to what you describe when I have a particulary hard run regardless of how good of shape I’m in. If it’s a really good one I also have a kind of cough for an hour or so (a good cough, it’s hard to describe), and at the end of a race I will wheeze like I’ve got emphysema and sometimes barf. Whee doggie! :slight_smile:

So some wheezing is good, but I can’t say if yours is that kind or not. It’s always a good idea to see a doctor before starting any kind of taxing exercise program. Keep it up and congrats on losing the weight!

Could be nothing, just a symptom of your body adapting to the increased demands.
OTOH, it could be a sign of exercise-induced asthma or COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease).
IANAD, See your own personal physician, yadda yadda. You know what I mean.

When I was diagnosed as asthmatic (I’d been that way for a long time,) the respiratory therapist told me that coughing is the most common symptom of asthma. He also said many asthmatics go undiagnosed until a medical emergency forces the issue. I urge you to discuss this with your doctor.

IANAD, but I have excercise induced asthma and these are the exact symptoms I get. A weird taste in my mouth and wheezing. Yep.

It used to happen to me all the time when I started running. Now it only seems to happen in certain circumstances. It is brought on and excacerbated by long hard workouts and/or particularly cold weather running.

Been like this for 20 years, so I don’t worry about it, but for all I know, it could be a sign of imminent death.