Old 01-30-2004, 10:04 AM

Listen, KFC, you're not fooling anyone. "Kitchen Fresh Chicken?"

Okay, KFC, this is going to hurt me almost as much as it hurts you.

While it's long since been debunked that KFC changed their name from Kentucky Fried Chicken due to concerns about fried things being bad for you, the latest trend seems to indicate that the erstwhile-named KFC is at least thinking about putting a different spin on their wares.

And I, for one, call shenanigans.

I'm not even going to touch on the technically-legal but still slightly creepy way you turned your dead spokesman into an X-Treme sports-loving cartoon character. Hey, the poor guy's been in the ground for ages -- it's not as if he's around to object. (But come on, what's next -- a little cartoon Dave Thomas?)

For those that haven't heard, KFC's new spin on their artery-clogging goodness is to convince people that KFC actually stands for "kitchen fresh chicken."

I think that deserves another , actually.

Calling it "kitchen fresh chicken?" Are you seriously trying to convince the chicken-buying public that not ONLY were you NEVER Kentucky Fried Chicken, but ALSO that your chicken is any less procured, processed and prepared than the other fast-food chicken franchises?

I call bullshit, you beak-felching, grease-trap monkeys. Unless I see some evidence that your workers are at very least prepping your chicken, instead of simply shoving pre-prepared pieces into your frybox, you are lying to the American people. Yes, lying -- which is SOOOOO unlike you.

Unless we've already forgotten your recent claims that KFC is somehow healthy for the public, which even a developmentally disabled Appalachian coonhound knows ain't true. You peddle grease-covered fried chicken, for shit's sake. I'm going to need at least a pie chart or SOMETHING to back THAT particular claim.

I hated to pit you like this, KFC, because you and I have had some good times together. But let's not forget where we came from, shall we?

"Kitchen Fresh Chicken" indeed.

I hope the Colonel bitchslaps you marketing morons in the afterlife.

Official Doper Brat Inductee, 2004
Old 01-30-2004, 10:13 AM

They changed to KFC what, 13 years ago? You were supposed to have forgotten that whole "fried" thing by now.
Old 01-30-2004, 10:36 AM

Unfortunately, they could call it Kentucky Fried Coronary and I'd still eat the damn stuff. I'm afraid that when I kick the bucket it will, undoubtably, be theirs.
Old 01-30-2004, 10:49 AM

If they changed to just KFC 13 years ago, I was 8 when it happened.

I still call it Kentucky Fried Chicken. Everyone I know does. Well, it's either "Hey, he got Kentucky Fried" or, "Hey, he got Kentuckehfrychick'n" (sounds like all one word).

I guess KFC's nefarious marketing scheme didn't work on Metro Detroit. Hell, we still call Marshall Field's "Hudson's" ( :: sniff :: ) and occasionally Rite Aid is still Perry Drugs. Stuck in our ways, we are.
Old 01-30-2004, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zweisamkeit
I can remember the year (1991) because I was working in the newsroom at the local paper when we got the Press Release about the change. They sent tons of Press Packages to newsrooms around the nation about it.
Old 01-30-2004, 11:07 AM

Quote:
I guess KFC's nefarious marketing scheme didn't work on Metro Detroit. Hell, we still call Marshall Field's "Hudson's" ( :: sniff :: ) and occasionally Rite Aid is still Perry Drugs. Stuck in our ways, we are.
<hijack> zweisamkeit When I lived in Detroit, there used to be a really cool store around the block form Hudson's called Emily's Accross the Street. Is it still there?

</hiack>
Old 01-30-2004, 11:08 AM

Oh, I'm not challenging what you said! More like being amazed that I still call it "Kentucky Fried Chicken" even when it's been "KFC" for most of my marketing-awareness years.
Old 01-30-2004, 11:08 AM

I call it "Colonel Chicken" and I love it. I know it's bad for me, but I still eat it about once a month. We do a take-out dinner with the in-laws every week, and it comes up in the rotation. Which is worse, Burger King or KFC?
Old 01-30-2004, 11:20 AM
Charter Member

?? Fooling ??

Well, the stuff really and truly for the love of Pete ISN'T FRIED. THEY DON'T FRY IT.

It's cooked in a pressure cooker and as far as I know isn't particularly bad for you or your arteries.

Mind you, I cook real fried chicken in a cast iron frying pan. Deep fat fry it in hot vegetable oil, to be precise. And I don't believe this is particularly bad for you either (it's polyunsaturated oil, not hog lard, after all).

But KFC ain't fried chicken, never was, never has been, and probably never will be.
Old 01-30-2004, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chastain86
I'm going to need at least a pie chart or SOMETHING ...
[Homer]
Mmmmm. Pie.
[/H]
Old 01-30-2004, 11:25 AM

No worries. I just used the opporuntity for a personal ancedote that was on-topic for a change.
Old 01-30-2004, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHunter3
THEY DON'T FRY IT.
It's cooked in a pressure cooker and as far as I know isn't particularly bad for you or your arteries.
They use preassure cookers, but they fry in them. LinketyLink.
Old 01-30-2004, 11:34 AM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

Quote:
Well, the stuff really and truly for the love of Pete ISN'T FRIED. THEY DON'T FRY IT.

And just where does all that grease come from? Fried in a deep fryer or fried in a pressure cooker, there is still a whole lot of oil involved.

But remember, KFC is health food because it is low in carbs.
Old 01-30-2004, 11:36 AM

Quote:
But KFC ain't fried chicken, never was, never has been, and probably never will be.

I didn't know that. However, the dispute in question was never that KFC was or wasn't fried. Just that it's not, never was, never has been, and probably never will be "kitchen fresh."

Try telling that to the jackasses who sold me a box of chicken parts that had been sitting under their heatlamps for the better part of the day. "Fresh" sure has a peculiar definition in the Bluegrass State.

Official Doper Brat Inductee, 2004
Old 01-30-2004, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Ah, but it originally was. My mother and father grew up in Corbin, KY, and used to go to the Harlan Sander's original restaurant just outside of town. He definitely had fried chicken there.

And no, before you ask, my parents were not related. There were some non-cousin marriages in the state back then. Two generations up from though there was a first-cousin marriage, but there's no lasting eff... Look, a doggie!
Old 01-30-2004, 11:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chastain86
While it's long since been debunked that KFC changed their name from Kentucky Fried Chicken due to concerns about fried things being bad for you...
Where'd you get that idea?
Old 01-30-2004, 11:52 AM

Meh. No new news here.

Remember the McD's commercials from about a decade ago? Good wholesome music reminiscent of Copland played over images of wheat threshers. And the tagline "Good food from the good earth." As if we are to associate ground pig anus on a stale bun with wholesome farmhouse freshness.
Old 01-30-2004, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdn
... As if we are to associate ground pig anus on a stale bun with wholesome farmhouse freshness.
Great. Now I'm all hungry.
Old 01-30-2004, 12:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieu
Unfortunately, they could call it Kentucky Fried Coronary and I'd still eat the damn stuff. I'm afraid that when I kick the bucket it will, undoubtably, be theirs.
Amen! I stay away from most fast food mainly because I don't like it and not so much out of health concerns. But every once in while, there's a certain craving that only KFC can satisify. Yummmmm!!
Old 01-30-2004, 02:35 PM

Is the "Kitchen Fresh Chicken" thing an official corporate name change issue, or just the latest cutesy-commercial-gimmick-of-the-month to come from their ad agency?

(Only KFC stuff I enjoy are the honey BBQ sandwiches and the mashed potatoes. The fried chicken itself is take it or leave it for me.)
Electric Escape -- Information superhighway rest area #10,186
Old 01-30-2004, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdn
Remember the McD's commercials from about a decade ago? <snip> As if we are to associate ground pig anus on a stale bun with wholesome farmhouse freshness.
See, that's why I prefer Wendy's patties and will continue to do so until I see my first square pig anus.
Old 01-30-2004, 02:51 PM

I don't really understand the new BBQ wings ad, with the dethroned wingmaster. Why is he no longer the wingmaster? Why is that new guy the wingmaster? Was the first guy supposed to watch the wings and then all of a sudden the second guy swooped in and ate them? Or did the second guy just eat more wings?

Also, "get the taste on your face" is a little more than mildly suggestive.
Old 01-30-2004, 05:39 PM

You don't know what a heart stopping meal looks like until you actually work at and/or have "backroom" access to a KFC.

My friend's sister used to manage a KFC (it has since been closed) so we had free reign to "design" our own "food".

We would create double decker big crunches covered in yummy gravy with a few fries tucked inside, or poutin layered twice with gravy and cheese...

I normally had hot wings and the poutin. Heart stopping goodness!

BTW KFC chicken isn't fried (in the store at least) but placed in a oven-like thing (that pressure cooker mentioned in the link I'm sure) and AFAIK doesn't really touch any oil except however it's prepared before it gets into the resturant.

And incase anyone gets pissed, we had friends make our food "our way". We didn't just walk around the food prep areas with our street clothing.

Badmana
Old 01-30-2004, 06:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjung
Is the "Kitchen Fresh Chicken" thing an official corporate name change issue, or just the latest cutesy-commercial-gimmick-of-the-month to come from their ad agency?
I could look it up if I was at work today. Slipped on some ice last night and sprained my ankle.
Old 01-30-2004, 09:39 PM

Fried or not, "Kitchen Fresh" or not, as long as they keep putting that addictive chemical in it that makes me crave it fortnightly, I'll keep buying.

Jammer
Old 01-30-2004, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judith Prietht
Also, "get the taste on your face" is a little more than mildly suggestive.
Yeah, it's fucking gross. I hate that wingmaster commercial. I mean, yeah, wings are messy, but come on.
Old 01-30-2004, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer
Fried or not, "Kitchen Fresh" or not, as long as they keep putting that addictive chemical in it that makes me crave it fortnightly, I'll keep buying.
Aye, damn that Colonel with his wee, beady eyes...
Old 01-30-2004, 10:46 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer
Ah yes, the 11 secret herbs and spices:
Quote:
So , what's in it??

There is no batter as such. The chicken is submerged in a dip made of skimmed milk (or similar) and beaten eggs. The dipped pieces are rolled in flour, to which salt and the other flavourings have been added. Then the chicken is cooked as per the above method.

Here is where the lab comes in. After analysing the seasoning mixture, they found only four ingredients. With today's technology, if there had been one grain of any other compound it would have been identified immediately. So, four ingredients. They are; Flour, Salt, MSG and Black Pepper. So, no herbs at all. And no sugar either. There was nothing in the sample tested that could not be identified. According to the interviewees there is nothing else added in the cooking process either, which leads us to the conclusion that these four ingredients are the only ones in the mixture.
The link above also describes exactly how it's cooked.
Old 01-30-2004, 10:55 PM

KFC = Killer Fucking Chicken

And the requisite band name:

Quote:
square pig anus
Old 01-30-2004, 11:10 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmostylus
Ah yes, the 11 secret herbs and spices:The link above also describes exactly how it's cooked.
Desmostylus, I'm just going to have to be mildly dubious about that link. It also states:
Quote:
Most food labs refused requests to analyse the mixture. Fair enough, but one was found that would do it. They were supplied with a small amount of the mixture, which was a strong smelling white powder with black and brown flecks. The results may surprise you.
Why would any lab refuse? Was the "one" a reliable lab? Was the strong smell flour? Mind you, I'm not trying to say that KFC is healthy or anything, but I just don't get what that page is all about. And BTW, my experience of fried chicken "batter" is just how KFC does it: dip it in liquid, roll it in the dry. Some cooks roll it in plain flour lightly before the dipping.
Old 01-30-2004, 11:33 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by This Year's Model
Why would any lab refuse?
Presumably because the "11 secret herbs and spices" is a closely kept trade secret, and because the sample had been obtained without the permission of KFC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by This Year's Model
Mind you, I'm not trying to say that KFC is healthy or anything, but I just don't get what that page is all about.
The site isn't pro- or anti-KFC, it just describes what's in it and how it's cooked.
Old 01-30-2004, 11:48 PM

This_Years_Model, while I wouldn't take that link as gospel without some corroboration, (particularly as I too have a hard time getting my head around the concept of a "strong smelling" combination of flour, pepper, salt, and MSG,) you're picking on things you ought not to.

If there's no flour in the dipping mix, it's not a batter. Dipping in egg/milk and rolling in flour is sort of a poor man's breading. There really is no batter involved there, if it's as described.

Also, it's quite probable that many labs would choose not to turn down the job. Huge corporations are notoriously litigious, and the benefit from such a small piece of work is negligable when compared to the (even remote) possibility of a lawsuit, whether it be for helping someone to reverse-engineer a protected product, or defamation if the sample turns out to be modified, or whatever.

As for the findings that the lab gave them, the authors of the page are working from a false premise:
Quote:
After analysing the seasoning mixture, they found only four ingredients. With today's technology, if there had been one grain of any other compound it would have been identified immediately.
Nope, sorry. These folks watch too much Star Trek. Of the substances that the lab tested for, they positively identified four. That's all. Likely they identified capiscum, and said "pepper." There might also be paprika, cayenne, chili, etc. Sodium is easy to verify, likewise monosodium glutamate. You can bet your ass that whoever put that ghetto site together didn't pay them enough to test for every herb and spice known to culinary man, so they got what they payed for.

Oh, and "Kitchen Fresh Chicken?" It is to laugh.
Old 01-30-2004, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Also, it's quite probable that many labs would choose -n-o-t- to turn down the job.
Strike that "not." And I see Desmo got in there while the board was shunning/mocking me. Yaaar.
Old 01-31-2004, 12:49 AM

Chastain, I wept while reading this marvelous vituperative rant against Kentucky Fried Chicken.
Old 01-31-2004, 12:58 AM

bleh! While it smells good, I can't stand the taste of KFC. No reason to buy that garbage of you can get Popeye's.
Old 01-31-2004, 03:23 AM

Stupid question but what does "ktichen fresh" mean to you? To me it sounds like "chicken fresh from the the kitchen" ie "it wasn't a very long time between it emerging from the pressure fryer and getting to you" which doesn't seem to be saying very much at all
Old 01-31-2004, 04:06 AM

A while ago there was a documentary on a business news programme that talked about KFC trying to change its image. Mind you, this was in Japan, but it was interesting because they had really good access to high management types.

Anyway, lately business has not been good for KFC, it seems (at least in Japan). Competition is fierce and they're having a really hard time getting rid of their greasy, unhealthy image that's hurting them. Here, they tried opening stores with faux-fancy interiors and changing their menus to have more health-conscious items, like wraps and such. I almost genuinely felt sorry for those vice-presidents, I really did. It might be denying your roots, but grease just don't sell like it used to.

I don't really have a problem with the name change, although it's very lame IMO, as long as it's somewhat mirrored in their menu. If the food is still stale and greasy, it's probably hurt them more than anything.
Old 01-31-2004, 05:43 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Mudd
Likely they identified capiscum, and said "pepper." There might also be paprika, cayenne, chili, etc.
I interpreted it to mean pepper, not chili. That is, the ground dried berries from Piper nigrum.
Old 01-31-2004, 06:31 AM

Maybe I should start an "Ask the Former Chicken Queen" thread here...

I worked at KFC for two years in the early 1980s, back before Pepsi bought them out. In the course of doing so, I was involved in every aspect of food production and sales. In fact, I started there when they had those little buns (like Hawaiian bread) instead of the biscuits they now sell - I remember when the biscuit-making gear came in and some of us were trained on making the things. Only problem for me was, the vinyl apron that was supposed to protect our brown uniforms from the flour wasn't quite wide enough for my boobage, so I inevitably wound up with one white tit. Which our customers seemed to find intriguing.

But I digress...

It's entirely possible that things have changed drastically in the production and manufacture of KFC's headline product, but back in my day the chicken arrived at the store in a fresh state, i.e., not frozen hard. It was generally very, very cold, but it was not frozen and was stored in the walk-in cooler with the produce, not the 0-degree freezer with the fries. Once in a while a case of bird would go bad and there is no mistaking the smell of something that is no longer fresh. One of the tasks that the cooks shared was the "breaking" of the chicken, which meant separating the chicken into appropriate bags of pieces (9 pieces to a bag, with two wings, thighs, drumsticks, breasts, and one "keel" or center breast) and breaking the thigh in the process. Oh, I have broken many a chicken thigh in my day. Nowadays they use an 8-piece cut, which is probably only fair because the old breasts didn't have much meat on them.

Original Recipe chicken was prepared pretty much as described above, with a brief dipping in the milky "batter" followed by a dredging through the flour/11 herbs and spices mix. They're then "dropped" into the pressure cookers, which had varying holding capacities (one "tray", or four birds, versus five "trays"). Of course the little bags of 11 herbs and spices didn't have ingredient labels, and I strongly suspected pepper and salt as main ingredients, but the packets were sufficiently multi-colored that it's entirely possible for eleven different items to have found their way into it. I remember a distinct greenish tint to the dry mix.

Extra Crispy chicken is prepared in an entirely different way, from the sauteeing through the breading and frying in open fryers.

Neither product is supposed to be held for more than 1.5 hours. I always thought it would be a lot easier to accomplish that if we weren't expected to account for sales of 96% of what was fried - given the hour lead-time required for preparation, it wasn't easy to "call" how much bird to "drop" in advance of the lunch or dinner rush. After some months on the job I became pretty adept at calling chicken. Some days nobody in the neighborhood wanted any bird, but other days, it was just a feeling in the wind, a tingling in the spine...ah, yes, time to drop some chicken.
Old 01-31-2004, 07:27 AM

Quote:
The site isn't pro- or anti-KFC, it just describes what's in it and how it's cooked.
Of course, the site does contain large passages (including part of the KFC one) lifted directly from the book Big Secrets by William Poundstone with no credit or attribution. It's also got a come-on for a multi-level marketing scheme. Not an unimpeachable source.
Old 01-31-2004, 07:57 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godot22
Of course, the site does contain large passages (including part of the KFC one) lifted directly from the book Big Secrets by William Poundstone with no credit or attribution. It's also got a come-on for a multi-level marketing scheme. Not an unimpeachable source.
That's not a sensible argument. The stuff about KFC probably was copied directly from Poundstone. If you want to dispute the accuracy of it you'll need to attack Poundstone directly.

Otherwise, all you're saying is something along the lines of "That site can't be trusted. They just copy stuff out of the encyclopedia."

As far as the multi-level marketing goes, I'll admit that I didn't notice it. It could well be there. Who'd have thought that free web-hosting services would stoop to advertising shit unrelated to the stuff being hosted?
Old 01-31-2004, 08:56 AM

Quote:
That's not a sensible argument. The stuff about KFC probably was copied directly from Poundstone. If you want to dispute the accuracy of it you'll need to attack Poundstone directly.

Otherwise, all you're saying is something along the lines of "That site can't be trusted. They just copy stuff out of the encyclopedia."
I wasn't saying you (or the link) are definitely wrong, I was just pointing out that it's not crazy to be dubious about the veracity of a website that: a) has derived a significant chunk of its editorial content from a lame-o uncredited rewriting (the Poundstone stuff on KFC is not taken verbatim, or at least is not the entire chapter) of a twenty-year-old book, b) also uses that same editorial content to talk about how to duplicate PlayStation disks and c) has information about how to start your very own transparently illegal multi-level marketing scam.

Quote:
As far as the multi-level marketing goes, I'll admit that I didn't notice it. It could well be there.
It's there. Click on the link to the "home" page, or the "marketing" page. Sample quote:
Quote:
There is also a special section on Internet marketing secrets. We will show you the scams, the schemes and the ins and outs of how people use the Internet to make huge amounts of money without even having a product!
Quote:
Who'd have thought that free web-hosting services would stoop to advertising shit unrelated to the stuff being hosted?
A valid point--if the aforementioned wasn't clearly the work of the author and the hosting service, which it is.
Old 01-31-2004, 12:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godot22
It's also got a come-on for a multi-level marketing scheme.
Not exactly. The come-on for the MLM scheme is there to debunk it. What it does have is a come-on for a hi-tech version of the old envelope stuffing scheme.
Old 01-31-2004, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Ah yes, the 11 secret herbs and spices:The link above also describes exactly how it's cooked.
I should point out that this is old news, since the unattributed source for that cite is William Poundstone, who wrote about it in Big Secrets way back in 1981. The website you linked to uses a quote from the book almost word for word.
Old 01-31-2004, 12:34 PM

Desmo, of course you're right about true pepper/hot peppers. I tripped over the word.
Old 01-31-2004, 12:53 PM

Sorry, Godot. You said it first and I missed it. Funny, I didn't think those books were that popular.
Old 01-31-2004, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zweisamkeit

I still call it Kentucky Fried Chicken. Everyone I know does. Well, it's either "Hey, he got Kentucky Fried" or, "Hey, he got Kentuckehfrychick'n" (sounds like all one word).

And I still say "Sugar Smacks" and "Super Sugar Crisp" and that change was, what, almost 20 years ago?

Who do Kentucky Fried Chicken think they're kidding?
Old 01-31-2004, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaElle
Aye, damn that Colonel with his wee, beady eyes...
Ha! The coffee shop here on campus really is known as "The Meadows". That joke comes up at least every other time I go there, it seems.

LC
Old 01-31-2004, 02:08 PM

Fessie beat me to this for the most part, but I also worked at KFC for about 2 years when I was in high school... I met my wife there even! (She didn't work there, but was a friend of someone who did.)

Just wanted to point out again, for anyone who bought what AHunter3's assertion that "KFC doesn't fry it's chicken," that this is completely wrong. They do use pressure cookers for the original recipe, but they are really pressure fryers, as they are filled with (wait for it)... piping hot cooking oil!. The original recipe is deep-fried in a special sort of pressure-cooker, which is the only part of the "secret recipe" that my aunt wasn't able to figure out until I told her.

The Extra Crispy chicken is definitely deep-fried in traditional oil vats, without the pressure-cooking.

And KFC is only "Kitchen-Fresh" chicken if people who make it in their kitchen also a) drop it on the floor now and again, and b) leave it laying around under heat lamps for 2-3 hours. KFC doesn't deserve much of the criticism they receive, but "kitchen-fresh"? Yeah right.

This from someone who used to defend them against the blatantly stupid accusations of using genetically-engineered boneless chicken meat that they grew in industrial plants... yes, people actually believed that one for a while.
Old 01-31-2004, 02:12 PM

Oh, and I worked at KFC before they made heavy use of the acronym (all the signs still said "Kentucky Fried Chicken"), but we all called it "KFC" anyway.

And it was also before they made a cartoon character out of Colonel Sanders, but I always found it vaguely creepy that a dead Colonel's likeness was staring at me from everywhere in the place. His face was on the boxes, on the cups, on the ketchup packets, even embossed in the napkins. *shiver* Kind of morbid, now that I think of it.