Shut your festering gob, you...

tit.

Where is this quote from? I have a friend who, inexplicably, insists that this quote is:

Shut your festering, gob your tit.

He insists that this is correct.
Please correct him. None of us knows what this line comes from and his whole argument is based on the “fact” that the people uttering the line aren’t speaking proper English.

(Can you tell we’ve all had a few?)

It’s from Monty Python’s Argument Sketch. Gimme a sec and I’ll come up with the relevant bit.

-Monty Python’s Flying Circus: The Complete Unexpurgated Scripts of the Original TV Series (except for the animation bits)

Thank you. I guess I’ll have to have him look up the audio of this. He still doesn’t believe that it’s

Shut your festering gob, you tit.

vs.

Shut your festering, gob your tit.

I don’t know. He’s a little lit. We’ll work on him.
I’ll have him look that up.

Thank you!

Monty Python’s Argument Clinic skit

Transcript

Audio clip (shutyourgob.wav)

GorillaGirl

Shut = close
your = belonging to you
festering = generating pus
gob = British slang for “mouth”
you
tit = breast

Share with your friend the good news about http://dictionary.com.

:slight_smile:
We did actually explain the meaning of the words (he didn’t know that gob = mouth), but even after that he claimed that the pause was in the wrong place for our parsing of the sentence to be correct. :rolleyes:
I’ve sent him the audio (thanks GorillaGirl). We’ll see if that convinces him. If not, I give up. This guy is a very, very smart man and, apparently, very stubborn.

That can’t possibly be true.

FWIW ‘gob’ can be a verb as well as a noun (meaning to spit), but SolGrundy’s post is correct for the quotation. Your friend’s parsing of the sentence is meaningless.