Molosters

I really don’t have anything to say on the subject, but in the interest of keeping this new word alive and well, i figured I’d start a thread with this word as the subject.

For those of you who haven’t seen the “thread killers” thread, a moloster derives from and is defined by the words MOst Last pOSTer.

Molosters are the one’s who typically post thread killing replies. Everyone’s killed a thread here and there. But molosters do it to a fault.
But being a moloster is nothing to be ashamed of (I keep telling myself), after all, one could just be coincidentally posting the last post to threads at the time that it was their [the thread’s] fate, their destiny (if you believe in the sort of thing) to die.

Actually, posting this is more of an ego thing for me. If the word happens to stick in some long term sense I just want to be able to say that I was a part of it. Anyone else want to help me make history? Post now or forever hold your peace.

Nah, I won’t post here I might kill the thread.
Wait a minute, you tricked me.
sigh fooled again.
Keith

What do you have if a ten-year old kills off a thread, then?

[hijack]
Are there other words just used at SD?

(NO- don’t give me a link to generic web term sites. I know those!)

I personall never saw Sock until I came here. Any others?
[/hijack]

Fascinating. **moloster **you say? I’ll add that to my webcabulary. Thanks for the tip. :slight_smile:

I have trouble with a lot of things here.

But the only one coming to mind right away is UBB.

What is that?

What is a ‘sock’ anyway? Someone who lost their partner under mysterious circumstances?

As in, “I hab a code. By doze is very stuffy. I ab too sick to go dowd to get sub DyQuiw. Wiww you brig sub ubb for me?”

Well, I’ll be dillywiggered!

>>>Fanny May wrote: “Well, I’ll be dillywiggered!”<<<

Right here in front of everybody?

Sincerely,
MysterEcks

I coined the term “moloster”…and don’t think I’m gonna let anyone forget it.

I’m NOT talking, OK?

She has a reputation to maintain!

The nominees, via audited MSN search database, are:

1. United Bankers’ Bank
  2. United Blacksmiths of Britannia
  3. UBB - alt.games.warbirds
  4. UBB Technical Manual - Intro Page
  5. Universitetsbiblioteket i Bergen

Envelope, please.
[*drumroll, stuck card, the tension mounts… *]

And the winner is… 4.UBB Technical Manual-Intro Page!
Accepting for the award is Ultimate Bulletin Board’s producer, Home Page:

“Thank you, thank you! Some of you know us as the Old System, but let me assure you…”

1. Sock-- short for Sock Pupper. A Sock Puppet is a Screen Name created by an idiot or troll to support hheirmself[sup]1[/sup].

Ex.

DumbAss: X is obviously true!

David B: No, it’s not. Here’s proof: PROOF.

Sock Puppet: No, I’m a sientest[sup]2[/sup] and X is so true. And you’re all terrible people for making fun of Dumbass. He’s the smartest guy alive.

1. UBB-- short for Universal Bulletin Board. The last generation software used to hold this board together. Crashed a lot. UBB supplied its own HTMLesque-but-more-limited code for owners who wanted to shut off HTML.

UBB has been replaced by vBB, and the UBB codes are replaced with vBB codes that look and act exactly the same except:

a) We have superscript and subscript
b) You can nest quotes now.

–John
[sup]1[/sup] This is a word I made up so I didn’t have to type himself or herself.
[sup]2[/sup]I misspelled this on purpose.

OK, since you want somebody to ask, what/who is a sientest? Someone from Tuscany?

I believe there are manny, manny, words used only here in the SDMB. :slight_smile:
Rose

Creativity with language embiggins even the newest doper.

Well, I just found the source of oldbie, which wasn’t in my vocab class:

Here’ some words from Wired’s Jargon Watch (see their magazine/site for full definitions)
Chumming The indiscriminate distribution of your business card, media kit, etc., in the hope of attracting someone important.

The Grid A next-generation internet where…(I just hope it doesn’t contain command line structures like http://www.nospacesallowed.com/nospaces_again/ .)

Mutter Machine makes noise so your office sounds busy to callers.

Wall Humping The act of rubbing one’s thigh against a priximity card reader to unlock a secure doore without removing the card from your pocket. (If you’ve never seen this one, you’re in for a treat. It is so funny to watch.)

I thought that UBB stood for Ultimate Bulletin Board. I am sure that the small print on the bottom of the page stated this. Opalcat’s site uses the same software, so far as I know, as SDMB’s previous incarnation.

I just hab a stuffy doze. It’s dot by fault. Haben’t you eber had a stuffy doze?

Here’s a good definition of Sock Puppet:

Someone who loves and defends you from the cold cruel world.

Most posters have one, if only for insurance from the day they get a reputation they don’t deserve.