What comic book characters have held public office?

Inspired by the latest Iron Man comics, in which Tony Stark has just been confirmed as the new Secretary of Defense, it seems.…I was just wondering: how many comic book characters,* hero or villain, have held public office?

*Fictional politicians, by themselves, do NOT count. So Senator Kelly’s out, but Harvey Dent is in.

The ones I can think of are:

•Lex Luthor—Elected President of the United States. Is he STILL President, or did he get impeached or something after recently going nuts?

•One of Marvel’s “Squadron Supreme” (Nighthawk?) was elected President, I think. (Before helping take over the world, no less.)

•Bruce Wayne, in an Edwardian-era Elseworlds (“The Devil’s Workshop”) apparently became a U.S. Senator, later in life. No word on whether he was still Batman or not. Or what political party he belonged to. (I’m thinking “Bull Moose.”)

•The above mentioned Harvey Dent. (Aka “Two-Face,”) former D.A.

Is there anyone else that I’m forgetting?

I don’t think they actually said he was impeached, and I don’t think it happened on-screen, but yeah, he’s no longer president

I think he (and a huge chunk of the country) was mind-controlled by the Overmind. Once freed of the Overmind’s control, he resigned (and then fought against the Squadron Supreme when they tried to take over)

Green Arrow ran for um…mayor? Governer? or something in the '70s. IIRC, he lost.

Barbara (Batgirl) Gordon was um…a senator? Congresswoman? for a brief period also in the '70s.

If you’re allowing Elseworlds type stories, then there are probably dozens: Superman’s been president in at least one story (with Waverider).

Fenris

Does DC’s Prez, the world’s first teenage President, count?

Captain America was president in one What If story.

Howard the Duck ran an unsuccessful campaign for President, running for the All Night Party.

Superman once took over as President of the United States (circa 1969 in Action Comics). He wasn’t elected, of course. It was one of those Red Kryptonite-induced amnesia things, and he honestly thought that he was the Chief Exec., but he did spend time actually doing things as the President. (The real president was detained elsewhere, in an unbelievably fortuitous coincidence.)

Luthor, of course, was the (legitimate) savior of the planet Lexor (in the pre-Crisis continuity), which seems to be higher than any elected office.

Dr. Doom is the ruler of Latveria, and has diplomatic immunity.

Let’s not forget Luthor’s VP, Superman-Pal Pete Ross.

Or his Secretary of Education, Jefferson Pierce AKA ‘Black Lightning’.

Superman’s been dictator, president, yadda yadda in so many Elseworlds that it’s almost useless to discuss.

Foggy Nelson (Daredevil) was a district attorney for a while.

Kind of begs the question of your definition of “public office.” Doctor Doom became ruler of Latveria by bumping off the legitimate ruler and usurping the throne.

If you allow for that, then Doom has also briefly ruled the entire planet at least twice (until circumstances made everyone forget). The Incredible Hulk, in his Maestro persona, ruled a future postapocalyptic Earth, and as himself, co-ruled Jarella’s microscopic realm for a time (although in that instance, he married into the role, instead of usurping a legitimate authority).

Bruce Wayne pretty much rules Gotham City in the future posited in “Kingdom Come.” In an alternate future, Superman pretty much took over the world, although he allowed local governments some autonomy (as seen in an episode of the cartoon series, as well as one of the Zero Hour crossovers).

And the Batman of Earth-Two was the Police Commisioner of Gotham City, if memory serves.

Perry White was appointed (to finish an unexpired term) Senator. It was a stupid plot device in one respect, because Perry didn’t figure in any story lines during the peiord. On the other hand, it gave the writers an excuse to put Clark behind the editor’s desk for awhile, which was probably the idea all along.

In the current arc, the New York Democratic party asks Matt Murdock to run for mayor, despite (or because of) the fact that virtually everyone knows he is Daredevil.

Aquaman, Wonder Womam, and Geo-Force are all, or have all been, titled monarchs.

In “A Death in the Family”, the Joker is appointed Ambassador to the UN for Iran by Ayatollah Khomeni.

In the original Wild C.A.T.S. limited series, B’Lial, a Daemonite Alien poessessed Dan Quayle while he was VP

Why, Super President, of course. OK - that was based on a Saturday morning cartoon and wasn’t published as a comic book. How about Lyndon Baines Johnson as a costumed superhero in the Great Society comic book. Here’s the back cover.

Mommy! I’m scared!

LJB in tights is something that no human being should ever have to see…

Re: Nighthawk – There were two Nighthawk’s. The one on the “real” Marvel Earth never held elective office. The other Nighthawk lived on a parallel earth with his teammates in the Squadron Supreme, where he was elected president. I’m pretty sure he was legitimately elected before the Overmind took over most of that parallel earth.

–Cliffy

P.S. The Squadron Supreme TPB, which reprinted the miniseries that took place after the Overmind was defeated, was printed with writer Mark Gruenwald’s ashes in the ink.

Yes.

But Teen Prez was published! Ranks up there as one of the worst comics ever, but it was published.

And let’s not forget that Prez was further enshrined in the pages of Sandman.

Adam West is the mayor of Quahog. Does that count for anything? :dubious:

If we’re including usurpations, the Authority are currently in charge of the United States in the same way that the US are currently in charge of Iraq.

In The New Statesmen, one of the Statesmen was a presidential candidate.

Mr Magoo was the former mayor of our town.

… well, OK, it wasn’t actually Mr Magoo, but it was a look-alike and act-alike.