Why am I so hungry?

It seems like I keep getting hungry early on in the day. Why is this? I have something for breakfast, like toast or a turnover, and I have two sandwiches and a piece of fruit (usually) for lunch. Why do I keep getting hungry after (and sometimes before) lunchtime, then? Am I just a big eater? Is there something wrong with me?

This is really irritating me. Stupid 2000 calories!

Blue Smiling Bandit Need Food BADLY!

If you don’t want to eat, you can just pop more quarters in the machine instead.

Seriously though, no one really knows what causes people to be hungry when they don’t need to eat so much. Atkins says it’s from eating too many carbs, which affects your blood sugar levels, but there’s a lot of debate about this.

Mmmm…2000 calories.

Okay, yer best shot is to eat foods low on the glycemic index (look it up) and to eat foods that are heavy with fewest calories (whole grains, full size pieces of fruit).

However, all that is nice, but if you are still hungry, your liptun (??) levels are screwed up. Dieting and then changing diets, and then thinking you found the right diet, and then trying Atkins will do just that: it’ll throw off the one or two key chems that regulate hunger. You are missing a key hunger controller.

Dieting should be approached very slowly, controlled and carefully, usually by eating balanced meals and focusing on nutritional density w/out very low cals. This regulates the body chems better than anything else.

So, long term success is tough because to lose weight, you run ahigh risk of f-in up your bosy chemistry.

(cites: Scientific America/PBS, and years of knowledge on the subject)

Low-carbing (this does not mean “no-carbing”) significantly reduces - if not rids altogether - those vertiginious blood sugar plummets that leave some people almost faint and nauseous with hunger.

Seriously: try it and see. Spend a couple of days eating less refined carbs (sugar, wheat, pasta) - eg swap toast in the morning for an omelette, swap your apple mid-morning snack for a bit of cheese or some olives, cut out the potatoes at lunch but eat a bit more chicken, have broccoli instead of peas and carrots, and cut out sweet treats and sugar in your tea/coffee. Just try this for two-three days, and see if you notice the difference.

It could be just out of habit. Your body is used to getting food at that time so it tells you it’s hungry.

Try this. Eat one of the fruit items from your lunch in the mid-morning or mid-afternoon. In other words take the same amount of food and spread it out over the day. Instead of 3 medium to large meals. Have 6 small meals. You can satisfy those cravings and not disturb your diet.

How did this become a discussion on low-carb diets?

I would suggest more protein in the morning. If I eat protein in the morning (instead of my bowl of Grape Nuts, for example) I feel more full throughout the day.

I suggested good carbs, not low carbs.

**smiling bandit{/b], did you go on/off diets? That might be the single most important piece of info in this thread.

That would goof up your hunger control mechanism, which makes all the fine-tuining talk pale in comparison.

I don’t know how many calories you’re talking, but toast as a sole breakfast food could be the problem right there. That’s not a very big breakfast, and it involves no protein. Your body can burn through a couple pieces of toast really quickly.

Consider adding an egg to the toast, or (in my opinion better) two eggs instead of toast.

Well try eating more protein, more fiber, and lower GI foods.

Also supplements may help. Green Tea extract does alot to suppress my appetite. So does satietrol.