If Julius Caesar Was Never an Emperor--What Was He?

I have to admit, it has been a while since I took a history class. But I know most dictionary entries list Caesar Augustus (63 BC-14AD), Julius Caesar’s grandnephew, as the first Roman emperor. And yet, Julius Caesar seems to have held some important political role. I know I read some place that he instituted the Julian calendar reform in 46BC. And whenever you see statues, movies, etc. of him, he is seen in the quasi-emperor’s role, with a garland around his head, etc. So what was the highest political title he ever achieved, if not emperor?

:slight_smile:

Julius Caesar was Dictator for Life.

Minor point: he was elected to a six-month term as dictator, and made himself dictator-for-life. He was the head of government, with the same level of power as an emperor or king (a real king, not that silly figurehead-with-little-involvement-in-the-actual-governing setup that Great Britain has :stuck_out_tongue: ).

Then his associates got tired of his arrogance and stabbed him to death. There’s a lesson in there somewhere.

All you ever wanted to know about the Roman dictatorship but were afraid to ask.

Understand that Dictator had a somewhat different connotation back then. A Dictator was appointed by (Praetors or Consuls?) for a term of 6 months, during a military emergency. The idea was a single authority figure, with greater-than-normal powers, would be better equipped to deal with certain crisis. Ol’ Jules took it a bit far though…

Gee, that has a certain familiar ring to it. “Plus ca change …” (I don’t know how to get the “c” with the little curlyque on it."

Ç.

Like another?

Ç.

Plenty more where that came from.

ÇÇÇ.

That’s enough. The Ç is not to be misused.

(I can’t do it either, but I can copy/paste it…;))

Ç like that? Alt+0199 see the “Character Map” a basic part of Windows for a long time I believe.

Cæsår was the dictator but the how did the name become a title? I recall one of my first tech jobs the other tech was a history major, lots of stories but I don’t remember much.

I should be reported for character assassination…

Oh I kill me…
Though I do note the board is seemingly deficient in character recognition? I’m not even able to use the font tag to force the font…???

On an interesting note, Augustus Caesar never refered to himself as “Imperator”, but rather regarded himself as “primus inter pares”, or “first among equals” - a kind of caretaker of the state who’s job it was to protect the fragile state from itself in the aftermath of the civil war.

It seems that Augustus was well aware of the dangers of having a King / Emperor, since Rome had lived through a time of Monarchy some centuries earlier, and had expelled the last King and instituted the Roman Republic, and it was actually stipulated in Augustus’ will that, on his death, the power that was at the time vested in him, be returned to the Senate. This never happened for a few reasons - most notably his wife didn’t want it to.

Anyhoo, there is about another 10,000,000,000 pages of history on this subject, so I won’t bore you with it all - suffice it to say that anyone interested should have a bit of a read.

H.H. Scullards “From the Gracchi to Nero” is a great book on the subject, as is Suetonius’ “The Twelve Caesars” - especially the chapters on Augustus.

Enjoy

Et tu, Brute ?

It’s that very Ç that you used to stab the great Caesar’s back with, isn’t it ? And now you want to come after us. Oh, the pain.

You off all people, you Brutus?

The name became a title because patronymics was a big thing in Ancient Rome. To signify that you were actually the rightful inheritor of the position of Emperor / Ruler you took the name of the previous guy - “same name, same family”, was the (spurious) reasoning. This even happened where it was patently obvious that the next-in-line was in no way related to the guy in question.

After it happened a few times, “Caesar” became synonymous with Ruler - and it stuck. All the way down to “Kaiser” in Prussia, and Czar in Russia…

If certain histories are to be believed, it wasn’t in the back that he was stabbed…

That’s too true. Although there were probably some stab wounds in his back, Caesar was stabbed IIRC 42 times. There were quite a few wounds in the neck and face, and the groin and genitals apparently came in for quite a stabbing too…

Makes you think…

That’s a corona. The Romans would award various coronae for valor in battle, most notably the corona graminea, the crown of grass, which was awarded to a soldier for singlehandedly saving a legion. Winning a corona would bestow social benefits, and, after Sulla, also political benefits.

The first Roman emperors were relatives of Caesar, either by birth or adoption, and they wanted to harken back to their famous progenitor. After a time the name simply became another word for “emperor”.

Yes, but what Gaius Julius wore was a corona civica [sub](No, that’s not a japanese car)[/sub], made of oak leaves, awarded in 80BC.

At the siege of Mytilene.

And Roddy McDowell’s character in Conquest of the Planet of the Apes.

IIRC, the Oak Wreath / Grass Wreath was only on statues of Divius Julius Soter (the saviour). Triumphal wreathes were usually made of Laurel.

OK, everyone here who has read the Coleen McCullough series, hold up your hand.

:smiley: