Why are some wheelchair wheels at an angle?

Does it make the wheelchair handle better? Does it make it easier to move? More aerodynamic? Stylish?

Is there a practical use for the phrase wheelchair wheels? A band name? A snack food? Thanks.
Rhythmdvl

I only used to see angled-wheel wheelchairs at the special olympics wheelchair races. However, a friend of mine has one these days. I believe they were originally designed for aerodynamic reasons as you guessed. As a WAG, it also puts less strain on the arms since the wheel tops (where you push from) are closer to your body.

A little off-topic, the aforementioned friend of mine loves to tip his chair backwards to show off and then eventually end up on his back “accidentally.” When someone laughs, he looks very hurt and says, “hey, man! I can’t help it! I’m in a wheelchair.”

He’s such a kidder.

I think you got it there, you just didn’t put it together.

1. A wide wheelbase is more stable and avoids tipping when cornering
  2. The closer to your hip your grip is, the more efficient the “thrusting” motion becomes.

A tilted wheel provides the best of both worlds. This was needed for wheelchair athletics, and the design is spreading to the general purpose wheelchair as its benefits become clear.

You probably don’t notice, but you car tires are at an angle too. A precise one.

Angled wheels and the flexibility of new composite materials in wheelchair frames make a very good cushion suspension for outdoor wheelchair travel. The old classic style of wheel chair has a very unforgiving ride over rough surfaces. (Wheelchairs were originally designed to be used in hospitals, with very smooth floors.)

When the individual wheel strikes an object, the angled axis of the wheel transmits the force as torque to the frame, which is now designed to flex a great deal. This makes the ride smoother and the tracking of the wheels much better. For racing, it is a must, but even for parking lots, and sidewalks, it is a great improvement.

A wheelchair costs as much as cheap car. There is no earthly reason why it should be more than two bicycles, but the fact is that you can get three world class competition bicycles for about the same price as an average wheelchair. Now ask about motorized wheelchairs.

Tris