Absinthe?

(I have been given permission to ask this question.)

I am looking for a bottle of Absinthe to give as a gift. Having done some research I discovered that Absinthe is sold in both America and Canada. However, the Absinthe sold in the US does not contain Wormwood; as it is prohibited. But what I couldn’t discover for certain was whether Wormwood was also illegal in Canada. From a few sites (none as creditable as the SDMB) I’ve read that Canadian Absinthe does contain Wormwood, but in very low volume.

So I am wondering if there is actually a difference between the Absinthe sold in the Czech (or Europe in general) and the Absinthe sold in Canada. And also, I as know of nobody who has actually drank Absinthe, if anybody who has can suggest a particular brand.

(Please do not include any information on how one could buy/import illegal Absinthe.)

From Embassy of the Czech Republic in Canada website:

They’ve begun importing the Czech-made liquor to Canada, where unlike in the United States, absinthe has never been illegal. (Hill’s sits calmly on the shelves at the LCBO in Ontario with a price tag of $85.95. It is also available in Quebec, Manitoba, Alberta and B.C.)

They mention Hill’s, a Czech brand, is sold in Canada. Presumably, there’s no difference from Hill’s sold in the Czech Republic. From Hill’s website:

Our Absinth contains just under 10 mg per kg of Thujone (chemical compound in the herb, wormwood) as is required in the UK and the Czech Republic, although there are 18 other herbs that contribute to the overall effect.

Never had, but I wouldn’t mind. Except for the fact that I’m in the States. :frowning:

True absinthe is made from wormwood and is prohibited in the US. You can buy it over the internet from international vendors, but don’t try to have it shipped to the US because customs will likely be enjoying your gift. A variety of vendors can be found at the Absinthe Buyer’s Guide.

That’s all from me. Perhaps someone with actual absinthe notches in their belt can recommend a good brand…

On the suggestions - I’m no expert, but people who allege to be claim that Hill’s is “no good”. I also have mixed sources that say either Hills does or does not have any thujone - in fact, they say that the label on Hills and what is on Hill’s website is both misleading and truthful, in that it does contain just less than 10mg/kg - in fact, “0”. There seems to be a lot of uncertainty in this, and as there’s not standards for a minimum level of thujone, it might be hard to prove if one doubts the company’s text.

“Deva” is a brand that people often tout, as well as “Havels”. However, given the extremely strong flavour and high alcohol content, I wonder if you can trust the judgment of many. I do not think these are legal to import to Canada or the US, or available anywhere in North America, however.

Personally, I think Absinthe is a pretty nasty drink to begin with; I don’t see how any of it could be good. Fierra and I even have two (doubtfully but reputedly) authentic bottles which we never intend to drink. But the green sure is pretty, and it makes an interesting conversation piece.

I don’t really have much to add but a little story. A customer of mine had two bottles, both labled abisinthe, both green. Both were gifts to him, one was purchased in Japan the other In Europe somewhere.

I have never really tasted two more disimilar drinks in my life. The one from Europe, poured over ice and sugar got semi cloudy and reeked of licorice.

The Japanese one has a slight scent of anise to it but get this, ice sank to the bottom. It also stayed quite clear.

My customer informed me that I was the only one he ever saw stay conscious after drinking it. Lemme tell ya I almost didn’t, but I did have a beer after I shook it off, ya know, gotta be macho.

With that in mind I suggest you pick a reasonably priced “abisinthe” whether or not it is the same thing our artist buddies drank in French cafes or Hemmingway imbibed it in Spain isn’t the point.

The point is you cared enough to go out of your way to find a special gift for your friend.

As far as I know, you’re probably going to have a very hard time getting your hands on a bottle of “genuine” Absinthe unless you travel to Portugal, the Czech Republic, or England (maybe a couple of other obscure places, but these are the only places* I* know of where Absinthe is legally sold… and I’m not even sure if the Absinthe you’ll find in England is the real stuff). You can get a version of the drink in other countries (in the US too), but it’s not the “real thing.”

As for my experience with Absinthe, it is an absolutely rancid tasting drink. I tried it in a bar while I was in the Czech Republic - the bartender held a spoon containing a sugar cube over the drink, put some of the alcohol in it, caught it on fire, poured it in the drink, blew the flame out, and I drank it. And it was absolutely awful. Of course, since it can’t be bought in the US, I had to bring a tiny bottle home with me (for novelty’s sake). I never drank it, and one day I discovered the bottle empty in my brother’s apartment. (one of his friends had stolen it from me, drank it, and agreed with me that it was a horrid tasting drink) I’ve also tried to “fake” absinthe, and it doesn’t taste much different to me. Still awful. In fact, I just learned that the word Absinthe is derived from the Greek word apsinthion, meaning “undrinkable.” Sounds about right to me. I think the only reason this drink has become so “popular” (or whatever) is because of the mystery associated with it. As a drink, it actually tastes like total shit. But anyway, I think I’ve made my point.

You might want to try this site Vaults of Erowid - Absinthe for more factual info or to hear about other peoples individual experiences with it.

Logan.

A couple of recent threads on Absinthe that as a guest you won’t be able to search for. They don’t contain any import links.

Why is absinthe illegal?
Absinthe (Specifically the legalities of importing to the US)

The relevant section of Logan’s link is here.

It’s not much use though, as it doesn’t note that the “low levels” of thujone are still the same as the maximum permissible in the EU. From the same page:

The only brand that I’ve drunk is Sebor, which apparently contains ~9mg per litre. As the Hill one sold in Canada contains ~10mg per litre (assume 1 litre absinthe=1kg), it would seem that Canada is just as relaxed as the UK. That’s not to say that Sebor is the best - I’m sure that Hill’s is fine and it’s locally available (thus avoiding the huge shipping costs). The only difference appears to be that Hill’s will not cloud whereas Sebor does.

EvilGhandi. As you may already know, it appears that the aniseed level is what affects the cloudiness.

It almost certainly isn’t. I’ve hardly ever seen absinthe sold anywhere here in England, and if it is on sale you can bet that it will have any psycho-active ingredient removed. We’re very strict about this kind of thing, and I’ll bet there are entire armies of otherwise useless civil servants devoted to cranking out endless rules and regulations just for this one drink.

I’m talking about high street liquor stores and all other legal sources, of course. If you don’t mind dealing with ‘dodgy’ sources then you can probably get hold of the real stuff, but you could say that about almost anything.

:confused: It’s on sale everywhere! Just look for the bright green bottle among the spirits, the one that isn’t creme de menthe. It’s also in my local Tescos.

Mind you, it is the Czech stuff, which has no psychoactive properties whatsoever. At least, no more than any other 80% vol. alcohol :wink:

Personally, I would avoid Hill’s. It has quite a different taste from classic absinthe. Absinthe is normally very aniseedy/licoricey, but Hill’s flavor lacks this classic herbal kick and tastes much more minty. Absinthe should taste like a very concentrated pastis/ouzo/ojen.

So, those of you who have tried absinthe, is it true that it makes the heart grow fonder?