An Interesting Day, indeed (Bush on the morning of 9/11)

This could go in Great Debates, but I’m not a debater, so I hate to start a thread there. It could go in MPSIMS, but since it could get heated, I’m putting it in the Pit.
“It was an interesting day.” - President Bush, recalling 9/11

My husband found this fascinating page. It might have been mentioned before, but I haven’t seen it. It’s the most complete account yet, jam-packed with cites, of what Bush did that day. There’s a lot of information that I had never heard. The time in the classroom is only a part of it. After reading this page, I realize that Michael Moore went very easy on Bush in that part of Fahrenheit 9/11 (other parts too, but…).

An Interesting Day: President Bush’s Movements and Actions on 9/11

Some highlights:

These are just cut and pasted bits. I’d urge everyone to read the original page, since I cut so much out. Bolding in all cases is MINE. The cites in brackets are hot links on the actual page.

Paragraph after paragraph tries to pin down exactly what Bush knew before he went into the classroom, and when he knew it. There are so many wildly differing reports that it makes your head spin.

Leave it to Bush to clear things up though…

There’s more, much more, but all that alone is enough to make my head spin. He was even more irresponsible than I knew!

How can anyone defend this man’s actions (or rather, non-actions) on this morning?

It may make your head spin. To me it simply looks like the typical responses of a great many people who are called to provide testimony (or recollections) regarding a horrendous event that caught them unexpectedly in the middle of a routine day.

I’m willing to believe that Bush was informed of the first plane strike before entering the classroom. Barring solid evidence that the president was informed of the hijacking and diversion of that plane before the crash, I would guess that he (like most of the people watching the news interrupting their lives) thought it was a tragic accident that should not be used to cancel an event for which a great many people had already invested time and energy to set up. (Even if he knew of the hijacking, it is unlikely tht he could have ducked into a closet and emerged as SUPERPRES to race off and save the victims in the other three planes.)
As for the rest of your citations: please go watch Rashômon a few times.
There are any number of issues for which to oppose Mr. Bush’s re-election, but his actions on September 11 do not comprise any significant portion of thoise reasons.

Some people do find this significant (I guess particularly since it was featured in Moore’s film).

It’s part of the Bush pattern of lies and ineffectuality. There’s no reason to deny the pattern or support Bush’s actions on the day.

The thing about him having watched the first plane attack the WTC on TV makes me so embarrassed! Only a scared fool would lie about something so easily disproven!

Oh sure, I agree with that.

He definitely was informed before he entered the classroom. It’s just unlcear if he learned about it in the motorcade on the way there, or after he arrived.

Well, being the president and all, he would have been more aware than people watching the news interrupting their lives of the threats and warnings that had been given in the days and weeks prior. Also, it was the World Trade Center, after all, which had been bombed 8 years earlier. I would have expected him and his handlers to be a little bit more on the ball than you or I.

Oh that just pisses me off. OF COURSE he couldn’t have saved the people in the other planes or on the gound, but after hearing about the second plane he could have found a way to gently interrupt the teacher and take his leave without upsetting the children, then he should have gotten the hell out of there. In my mind, they should have evacuated the school as soon as they knew there were other hijacked planes.

No, hijackers didn’t target the school, BUT NO ONE KNEW THAT IT WOULDN’T HAPPEN AT THE TIME!

a) he wasn’t in the least bit curious as to what the hell was going on,

b) he put those kids and everyone else there in jeopardy by staying there

c) isn’t it just a little bit scary that the leader of the free world THOUGHT HE SAW THE FIRST PLANE CRASH ON TV, weeks later?

I’d just like to say that, although I respect you tremendously tomndebb, it’s tiring to hear people trivialize the obvious failures and shortcomings of the current Administration, even if they do seem “small potatoes” compared to say, the huge mistake known as the Iraq War. Many people think Bush was the Golden Child on 9-11. Bush thinks so himself (lookit the campaign commercials). The information cited in the OP challenges this bigtime.

Their priorities may be misplaced, but for many what happened on 9/11 is much more important than what’s happening halfway across the world. These people may be foolish enough to vote for the Prez simply because he put up a brave and courageous front on that fateful day. They may not do this if presented with the truth.

It is a big deal.

From the website in the OP:

Bolding mine.

What TV? The first plane? ASFAIK there was no video coverage at the time off the attack. Why did he lie?

The level of Mr. Bush’s “curiosity” is a matter of wild speculation (for those interested) and is not demonstrated by the testimony presented. Public persons develop the ability to dissemble regarding their actual interest in events (for both good and ill) for the purposes of maintaining the public persona demanded of them at any given moment.

If an assassin had intended to attack the school because Mr. Bush was there, there is no reason to believe a bomber (or plane hijacker) would have called off the attack had Mr. Bush fled (since it is unlikely that the attacker would know of Mr Bush’s departure).

(There is also the issue of the time required to reschedule Mr. Bush’s departure. Previously established parade routes need to have their timetable changed; if Marine Corp 1 was sent in to pluck him, someone needs to be sure that the school is not surrounded by high tension wires and trees so that the chopper can safely land and take off; etc. While those emergency changes are being made, why should not the president continue with the planned event, rather than encouraging panic by cancelling, then standing around, idle, until he can be extracted?)

Mr. Bush’s memory may not be the greatest. However, between his noted propensity for grabbing the wrong phrase when speaking and the nature of memories (especially when witnessing catastrophic events), I do not find a comment that he “witnessed” the first crash to be more than a casual reference to what most Americans recall after seeing various films and videos replayed hundreds of times in less than a week.

Again, I strongly urge you to go watch Rashômon a few times.

I’m sorry. I just have a different view of what the president “should have done.” The immediate needs of air security were being addressed (if, in retrospect, ineffectively) by the people who are trained to do so. Do you really think that an executive (of whom you have a low opinion of his administrative capabilities) would actually be better suited to throwing orders into the situation? Having dealt with a few real-time crises in my career, I will state that I would much prefer that executives stay the hell out of my way while I am dealing with a problem. The failures of September 11 were failures of preparation and anticipation not of response. Once the events are in motion, there is nothing an executive can do to actually change the course of events. Heck, even in TV’s 24, the president basically waits around for Jack the super hero to get things done.

Want to criticize the Bush crowd for failing to heed Mr. Clark’s advice?
Go for it.
Want to ridicule Bush for trying to turn an al Qaida attack into an excuse to “get Saddam” when he had no clue what really happened?
I’m there with you.
Want to bash Bush for pouring hundreds of millions into Star Wars II instead of trying to co-ordinate the inter-service rivalries that caused our intelligence to fail?
That seems to be an argument that can be made.

Blasting Bush for not running out of a school in a panic while waiting for actual functional people to gather information and make on-site decisions?
Sorry, I can provide no support for that reaction.

Perhaps this goes in the “Pitting Bush for stuff that doesn’t seem to rate its own thread”, but this sentence is vintage Bush.

What do people, especially little kids, do when they lie? They nervously insert unnecessary information. Like “the TV was obviously on”.

Why did he feel it necessary to remind us that he used to fly himself? Surely it doesn’t take having a pilot’s license to be able to identify a freakin’ disaster. Another clue he’s an idiot grasping at straws.

He’s too stupid to realize that this categorically contradicts what he told the press earlier, about him having started the ball rolling on emergency response plans right after the first attack.

If Presidents had to give all of their speeches and interviews under oath, Bush would have been impeached a hundred times over by now. People jumped on Clinton for lying about having sexual relations with “that woman”. Yet the same folks pray every night for God to bless the bubblehead we have in the WH now. A bubblehead who’s lies drip with blood.

Good way to put it succinctly, monstro.

Also, those prayers are bubbleheads also, you see.
Must pray for one of their own.

The point is, he could not have seen the plane hit the tower. There was no immediate video of the first plane hitting the tower.

Maybe he was told to say that. :confused:

Ha, that reporter isn’t exactly on the ball either.

He doesn’t even mention that THERE WAS NO VIDEO of the first plane hitting the WTC.

Sure, but his staying there, and staying there, and staying there seems to indicate a lack of curiousity to me.

All the more reason to get everyone out of there.

Aren’t these people trained for several different scenarios? In an emergency, say, a fire, is the president supposed to sit there while parade routes and high tension wires are checked out? I’m sorry, I don’t buy it.

It would have been easy enough for someone in charge (which obviously Bush was not) to come in, say “hey kids, we’re going show the president how we conduct a fire drill! Won’t that be fun?” or something, then pull the fire alarm. Something. I don’t know. I’m not smart and in charge of the country and people’s safety. I thought these things were supposed to be handled. I don’t think it was.

Forget Rashomon (I’ve seen it), this is the President of the United States we’re talking about here. He didn’t just say it once. He said it at least 3 times. If he’s too much of a doofus to know he couldn’t possibly have seen the first plane crash into the WTC, you’d think someone on his staff would have told him before he repeated the embarrassing gaffe.

There again, with that panic bit. No one is suggesting that the president panic and run out. Perhaps stepping into the next room to see what information WAS available would have been prudent?

Which was a lie in itself.

Fair enough, tomndebb. It’s not like I’m going to head out to Union Square today and join the looney guy with the bullhorn who thinks Bush planned 9/11. I just think people should know how the truth behind the myth.

In my eyes, he became president on 9/11. I don’t think he should have run out of there like a chicken without its head. But I don’t think his staying there and yucking it up in front of the cameras was appropriate given that the rest of us thought the end of the world was coming.

I think it’s important to find out when Bush knew the shit was hitting the fan. When did he know that the first plane wasn’t just a “bad pilot” in a “horrible accident”? Did he know, before even stepping foot into that elementary school, that we were being attacked? I don’t think this is a trivial question. The answer could reveal whether or not he put a photo-op over this country’s security.

Politicians get called to the carpet over more trivial things. I don’t see why he should get a pass on this simply because there are bigger fish to fry. Simple Americans–of which there are many–don’t understand the “bigger fish”. But they do understand stuff like this.

That’s immediately what I thought when I read that, monstro. Yeah, the TV was obviously on, Dubya. It would be quite silly to assume you saw the event on a TV that wasn’t. But thanks for that extra info.

It was clear the question that triggered this answer made him very nervous. I’m thinking it was because he wanted to make sure it looked as if he had been fully on top of things that day, and in his haste to create that impression, he overcompensated by lying. One could say that maybe his brain had had a memory fart and had conflated his recollections of seeing the second flight with seeing the first one, but why would his mistaken recollection read like a poorly delivered lie to me? I just keep finding it hard to give this man the benefit of the doubt.

Well, he didn’t see the second plane hit the towers either, since he was fixin’ to read “My Pet Goat” with the kiddies. So he couldn’t have conflated anything.

I’m not going to quote the OP since it’s so long but one part I want to take issue with is the comment about Bush moving around the country during September 11th. It seems few people remember just how hectic that day was. Everyone is focusing on the Trade Centers being hit but I don’t hear mention of all the other reports being made that day. The Capital Building was evacuatedfor fear of plane headed toward it, there were reports that Camp David had been hit and ABC reported car bombs being detonated in front of the State Department. There were also reports of attemps to destroy Air Force One.

I was in D.C. that day and even after being let out of work I was stuck because the Metro had been shut down. The Blue Line runs under the Pentagon and people were talking about bombs being used in the Metro Line. The news was confused and it seemed no one knew what was going on.

So while I don’t know what Bush was thinking while sitting in front of the classroom or why he didn’t jump up right away, leave the room and take charge, I won’t fault him for flying to different military bases instead of flying right back to D.C.

[nitpick] I didn’t realize until I read that page, and my husband went looking for confirmation, that it was actually The Pet Goat (cite). Michael Moore and others got it wrong.
I don’t fault Bush for not coming back to Washington right away either. I have no problem with that. I think it would have been irresponsible if he had come back immediately.

On September 11, 2001, I wasn’t in charge of much of anything outside the reach of my arm…

…and I can tell you EXACTLY what I did, pretty much, between 7 a.m. and twelve noon, as well as when I did it. It’s etched in there pretty good.

I am inclined to wonder about a guy who has umpteen handlers, guards, and hiney wipers, who can’t seem to remember exactly when he did what during that same time frame.

In the event that it matters at all to you, the so-called Center for Cooperative Research is nothing more than a glorified message board where practically anyone who registers with a CCL license can add and edit whatever they want. Note, incidentally, that CCR links to an old version of CCL which does not cover new work. The board’s owner holds a BA in anthropology, and is not a credentialed journalist or researcher. The article you cited was written by a Village Voice writer whom the site calls a “freelance researcher”. Among its disclaimers, the site says this: