FUCKING DEER! They ate all my whole fucking sunflower garden! ERRRR!!!!

Woke up this morning looked outside at the soupy humidity wafting up from the cool lawn…and like always, I looked over to the large sunflower patch my wife and I are growing and :eek: :mad: Their all STUBS!! Fuck!

I knew right away it was the deer. I had tried everything to get them to back off including micturating in a large circle around the patch all Farley Mowat style! (just kidding) but I did put some human hair in bags in various spots and that worked for a while. But today…FUCK…I lost the battle. I swear to God I’m going to sit up in my treehouse with my fucking 12 gauge and wait for those little bastards and Fucking Annihilate them all! Well not really, I’m a passafist, but fucking still!! ERRR!!! :mad:

Anyone ever get a garden raped by the fawna around their house?

My mother lives in a small mountain town in Colorado. For most of the last 25 years she has tried to grow peonies. It seems that fresh peonies buds are an Elk’s absolute favorite food. Thing is in 25 years i think she has had one that actually got to bloom. They wait till they are just about to bloom then prune it right off.

The up side is that they got to watch an elk being born off their deck in the back yard this spring.

Looking on the bright side, you no longer have an insect problem.

12-gauge might wake the neighbors. Wanna borrow my crossbow? I’ve got broadheads…

My MIL uses frequent applications of dog hair from a local groomer’s to slow down the deer.
The only methods that I’ve seen work are fences.

There’s a product called “Plantskydd” (or something similar), which is liquified blood meal. It seems to work to keep the moose off my crabapple and birch trees, but nothing is 100%. My wife insisted on these trees, so when she complains about the moose my response is “If you plant food, expect it to be eaten.”

If you go with the product above, make sure you wear long sleeves and rubber gloves, cuz the shit stinks bad.

I got 2 for you:

a) My dad had a garden in the woods in which he grew, among other things, peppers. The really really hot kind. There were usually a few half eaten.

b) To solve the problem, my (very young at the time) sister suggested we hang those DeerAway horn thingies people put on their bumpers in the trees. :smiley:

Cute. I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt on that one! :slight_smile:
When I was growing up my dad spent much coin of the realm on a super-ultramagnificent cheery tree with grafts from 5 different types of cherry trees. We expected an absolute marvel of variety a couple years thence. And then came the deer and ate the whole god damned tree right dowm to the stump. Then they ate the 3 baby apple trees he’d planted at the same time. Deer are very short sighted. Deer are cute as hell when you’re hiking in the mountains, but they’re really no more welcome than a rabid weasel when they’re in the yard.

And where you are if it’s not the fawna (heh) it’s the slugs. But at least the slugs are easier to catch … and more fun to punish.

OOOOO…And a crossbow is relatively silent.

'round these parts the local nurseries sell some kind of liquid deer repellant. Supposedly it works, although I have no first hand experience with it. You have to put it on every day for something like 2 weeks, then after that just once a month.

I thought you were supposed to spread a perimiter of human hair by itself.

How about powdered coyote urine? It can be spread around the perimiter or bags of the stuff can be hung at their nose leve.

It’s simple. Buy a large sack of feed corn. Put it out for them each evening.

Mmm…venison!

I don’t know if that’d actually be a good solution, but it was the first thing that occurred to me. :smiley:

As in —

Mike Tyson: “I’m a pacifist.”
Interviewer: “You? A pacifist?”
Mike Tyson: “Yeah - you ask me too many questions, and I’ll pass a fist through your head!”

der phlospoher,

plse gro mre sunflawrs. tey wre verry gud.

luv, th der

der phlospoher,

u ppl mved nto r spase, we dint invit u, u cut dwn tha tres and bilt howses wher we livd fur yeers an dint cayr abut us. u wnt prtty flawrs? go lve in tha sittee an by a wndo bx.

bite us,
th der

Rats with antlers, buddy. Nothing more. Much is the garden I lost out in the Blue Ridge each year to those damn things.

City folk? They’re only cute as you pass by them on the highway. In person they’re pushy, aggressive bastards begging to be shot.

Don’t use the 12-gauge. Not enough stopping power at a distance. Use a good hunting rifle with a large caliber. Something with some pop. Then stock up for the winter. Salted vension ain’t that bad.

I plant my sunflowers in order to feed the deer. They are my buddies.

And it keeps them from nibbling my trees.

One thing you can do to save anything you might have left…

Make up a solution of water and some cayenne pepper. Not a whole lot. Maybe a teaspoon of cayenne to a liter of water. Then put it in a spray bottle and spritz your plants with it (you’ll have to re-spritz after it rains, too). Most critters take one bite and never try it again. I had a squirrel with a penchant for the cherry tomatoes I was growing. Cayenne cured him of it.

Do neighbors count?

If it makes you feel any better, I understand the mountain lions are coming back in record numbers.