Early Decision--deferred

Ok, so you apply to a real good school, let’s say Harvard or Princeton, early decision and get back the information that you have been deferred. Does this mean you have a) no real chance of getting in but they didn’t want you comparing yourself to others who may have gotten in b) have a better than average chance of getting in when thrown in with the masses, or c) they will look at you anew in the mass of applications, with the fact that you applied ED having no effect. And yes I realize Harvard is an “early action” school, but since I have never figured out what that means, I put early decision, which is what most schools have.

If you are deferred you have a *very * small chance of getting in. Less than your chances of getting in regular/early decision, at least in most cases.

Basically, it boils down to this:

1. A you apply early.
  2. Most aren’t rejected outright, but are deferred. They are put in the general applicant pool. Rejections are usually just bad/underachieving students who wouldn’t likely succeed at that school. Deferrals would do fine, but just may not make the cut.
  3. You are deferred. You’re put in the general applicant pool. This means that there are more students applying for fewer positions. If there happens to be fewer/lower caliber students applying than expected, a few deferrals may get accepted.

For most elite schools, only a handful of deferrals will get accepted. If they didn’t think you’d make the cut, they’re usually right.

Also,

When I visited MIT they said 95%+ early applicants who aren’t accepted are deferred. The 5% is rejected, usually because of bad grades/test scores/something else horrible.

Deferrals get no special treatment at all after they get their deferral letters.