What are the health consequences of too much phosphorus

If a person drinks alot of soda and gets what I assume is alot of phosphorus in their system are there any health consequences to that or does diet soda not contain enough to do anything negative.

Too much phosphorus is hard on the left kidney (not the right, if you have both) and can lead to “osteoporosis, arthritis, gout, dental problems (loose teeth, caries), skin eruptions, lowered WBC, higher risk for several cancers, kidney stones.”

From this site (bolding mine):

My WAG would be that for someone with a strong, healthy, efficient left kidney, the kidney can handle the stress of extra phosphorus in the diet, and the body simply excretes it as nature intended. If the kidney isn’t so strong or efficient, bad things happen. If you have any of the medical conditions listed above, perhaps those would be warning signs that your own particular body isn’t handling extra phosphorus so well.

So I guess the answer is “maybe, maybe not, check with your doctor.”

I am unaware of any normal metabolic process for which there is a significant difference between the left and right kidneys. The site is just plain wrong (about the left and right kidney business. And it overstates the connection between dietary phosphate intake and osteoporosis).

Yeah, I wondered about this too. It’s not like your system is saying, “Yo, left Kidney, you take the coca-cola, and the right, well… you just sit back and wait for the brownies.”

You have to wear a sandwich board that says “Close cover before striking”?
:smiley:

After posting my response above, and having a bit more time, I wanted to shore up my comment that “the connection between dietary phosphate intake and osteoporosis was overstated”.

In fact, there does not seem to be any convincing evidence that high intake of dietary phosphate promotes osteoporosis (in people with normal kidneys).

The current state of affairs in this regard was nicely summed up last year by Heaney in the Mayo Clinic Procedings, from which I quote: