what do I wear to a temp agency for the first time?

I’ve never temped before, but I’m going to try to bring in some extra cash while I’m waiting for my new job to start. Do I wear a suit to the temp agency when I go in for my assessment? The one that I’m going to is a bit higher class than those that usually stock secretaries and data entry clerks, so I’m not exactly going to be competing against welfare mothers and bored students.

Suit? Business casual?

IMHE, going to a temp agency to find a job is like going to a job interview. Wear what you would wear for an interview in your field. Or, rather, wear what you would wear for an interview in the type of job you want the agency to place you in.

I’d suggest, at the very least, a tie and jacket. I usually did temp agency interviews (and assignment interviews) with a tie, but we’re talking data entry clerk, Manpower type agencies here. If yours is a little higher-class, go with the jacket.

I should note that this was even knowing that in the actual assignments, I’d probably wear the business-casual polo shirts every day. I haven’t actually worn a tie on the job in at least seven years.

It depends on the type of job. If it is a basic clerical job, you don’t need to wear a suit. However, dress what they would call “professional.” I’ve worn a shirt, tie, and dress pants to most of mine. They will most likely have an appearance section on their internal interview form. Also, be prepared to fill out mounds of paperwork and to take lots of irrelevant tests!

It never hurts to err on the side of being overdressed.

Another vote for suit. When I was temping, I’d always wear a skirt and jacket to the temp agency and for the first day on the job unless there was something in the job description which indicated otherwise. Do wear something comfortable and, no matter how upscale the agency, be prepared for a bunch of basic skills tests, etc.

Good luck!
CJ