SNL 80- I salute thee!

The SNL nightmare thread inspired this…
Yeah, it wasn’t a great season. How could it be when they’re following the SNL Originals? BUT it wasn’t a total loss! It introduced Piscopo, Murphy & Kazarinsky!

And there was one skit I still remember- an Appalachian inbred family (with a daughter fixated on her imaginary babies crying) which is chosen to be part of a regional theatre, in which the audience just sets up chairs & watches them be themselves.

Now which season had the skit with “Amiable Dunce/Shrewd International Manipulator Reagan”?

Not sure, but I’m pretty sure it was Phil Hartman playing Reagan.

How many fingers are used in this salute?

Hate to nitpick here but Tim Kazarinsky wasn’t part of the infamous 1980-81 SNL cast and Murphy was initially just a featured player (I don’t think he was even in the disasterous season premiere in November 1980). SNL, after meeting with unanimously hostile reviews and free-falling ratings, was taken off the schedule after only 13 weeks for extensive repairs (i.e., firing the in-over-her-head producer Jean Doumanian and everyone in the cast except for Murphy and Piscopo). When it returned nearly two months later, SNL had a new producer (Dick Ebersole) and an almost-new cast (of which Kazarinsky was a member). However, they only did–at most–one or two more episodes that season. (I’m not 100% sure about that last fact since, by that time, I had stopped watching the show.)

That was about six years later during the time of Iran-Contra. As mentioned previously, Phil Hartman played the secretly astute Reagan.