Why don't these GTA: San Andreas cheats work?

I rented a PS2 just to play "“GTA: San Andreas,” and I want more firepower - but none of the cheats I’ve found on the Web work. What’m I missing? Is there some particular place I have to key them in? I tried one that went like “R1, R2, L1 L2, L, D, R, U, L, D, R, U” and did it as fast as I could - no new weapons.

Anyone know how I can get more weapons? Tell me how to use cheats!

If you hit pause, while entering the codes, they won’t work. Otherwise, they should be fine.

OK, I didn’t. In fact I didn’t even know there ws a pause function. Any other ideas? Do I have to hit them INSANELY fast?

I don’t know if you are, but you have to use the D-pad to enter the directional commands and not the stick.

You don’t have to enter them in really fast to get them to work.

Are you using this list (or similar)?

There are some bogus cheats on some web sites. I can’t say I’ve gotten all of the ones on the page above to work, especially some of the “spawn a <whatever>” cheats. I have gotten the “weapons” cheats to work, but you do need to do the sequence quite expertly. If you hesitate or wiggle the joysticks, it may not work. If you are using a wireless controller, that may be the problem: plug in a wired controller.

BTW, if you’re early in the game:

• There’s a 9mm in behind the host across the court from CJs. In the corner.
  • Go to the left of CJs garage, down into the drainage canal. Under the nearest bridge is a TEC-9. Under the next bridge north is body armor.

Also see this map. Broadband probably required.

Lastly, weapon “skill” helps. You can be a monster with lesser weapons if you’ve leveled them up.

A quick way to do so:

[spoiler]- Acquire the weapon you want to level up and plenty of ammo.

• Get a vehicle, park it in some out of the way place, away from cops who might take offense.
  • Empty clip after clip of ammo at the vehicle’s tire.

After a few minutes, you’ll have “hitman” skill with that weapon. Some weapons (pistols, small MPs) are dual-wielded at hitman level. You’ll shred everything.[/spoiler]

Thanks guys, great hints!