Sambuca

I am not sure where this belongs, so please move if needed.

I like Sambuca but am confused as to the “correct” way to imbibe.

I was served it (the first time) w/ 3 coffee beans floating in it, and it was on fire–in a maritini glass. This was at a swanky place dowtown Chicago.

The next time I enjoyed it, it again had the 3 coffee beans in it, but is was in a small brandy-type snifter and it wasn’t on fire.

I have also had it over ice in a whiskey glass.

Help! I don’t mind it on the rocks, and I don’t mind it on fire–but what kind of glass should it be in?

And for all those who think that to be concerned as to what type of receptacle drinks go in augers a shallow mind–I say, thank you!

** could you help soon, am going out tonoc and planning to order a Sambuca…it’s 1:30 pm here.

Danke!

I have had it served in either a test tube as a shooter , or in a shot glass as a flaming asshole.

Declan

Um…I don’t want to shoot anything and am not interested in assholes!
Thanks for the help, though.

(could someone tell me if it’s not ridiculous to ask for it in a martini glass?)

maybe I’ll go wild and just do it!
:stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve seen many folks enjoy it in a shot glass. Now move up to it’s big brother Ouzo. That was an evening to remember, only portions of which I can remember. :smiley:

After taking the first step of the USMLE, I started with Guiness, moved to Jaegermeister and Tuaca shots, then to Sambuca (because the bar didn’t have ouzo…). We drank it straight, although I’ve also had it with the coffee bean thing.

I don’t know how many shots we did (a lot, though) but me and my buddy were drunker than we’d ever been by about midnight (we got there at about 9) and had to be dragged home by our SOs. I was asleep by 12:30. I woke up the next morning with a blinding headache and all kinds of interesting nausea. It lasted like 2 days – worst hangover ever.

The next week, a study came out that tied licorice ingestion with hyperaldosteronism (there’s also something about it decreasing testosterone but I seem to have missed those effects). I hypothesize that not only was I dehydrated with the regular effects of alcohol, but my water balance was all messed up as I was hyperaldosteronemic, with a high blood pressure and sucking all this fluid out of the tissues for extra intravascular volume. Woohoo!

And carrying several Sambucas (on fire) from the bar to one’s friends is an excellent way to guarantee an easy passage through any crowd there might be. :slight_smile:

Mmmm- nice stuff.

Don’t wanna try the ouzo–I’ll stick with the Sambuca.

Is it really usually taken as a shot?
I’ve only had one drink (when I’ve had it), so no hangover for me!

I thought there was a “right” way to drink this–mebbe not.
I’ll ask the bartender and get back to you all.

Well according to this, “Best enjoyed straight up with 3 roasted coffee beans in a sherry glass”.

Many many thanks!

I will get it on the rocks (could they also set it aflame, too?-I like to live dangerously!)

Sherry glass–hmmm. Never had it in a sherry glass (unless the small balloon glass qualifies).

What is the significance of the three roasted coffee beans? I can’t imagine that they impart flavor, do they?

Give Ouzo a try-Metaxa. Good stuff. Just don’t plan anything for the following 16 hours. :smiley:

Just back now. Sambucca good, but husband and I are not so…nother thread, sorry.

I asked for it on the rocks and it was served in a regular mixed drink glass (cannot think of name at present–room spinning slightly–this is a good thing).

Not to be maudlin, but would it kill you guys to say a girl looks nice, especially when I am wearing an off the shoulder, V-neck black shirt, Wonderbra and F me boots (with blue jeans–I’m not that bold!).

<sigh> I married an accountant–he’s a good guy–I just wish sometimes he had a little more razz ma tazz to him…

Somebody tell me I’m knockout, before I start crying into my keyboard…(shouldn’t post tipys-note to self).

I’m curious what she’s been up to for the past hour…

Did the accountant husband razz her tazz? The world may never know…

Sounds like:

Eleanor hottied, tipsy, horny.

Eleanor husband not interested, for whatever reason. Probably tired. I know I’m better in the AM for friskiness. But I’m an old(er) guy.

Eleanor and Sambuca meets SDMB. Penis ensues.

Poor eleanor, or should we say pour eleanor. It’s disappointing when puppies try to run with the big dogs and then fall over. :smiley:

Wishing your brain good feelings in the AM, dear. Hope you changed your clocks, or you’re late.

Almost forgot:

Eleanor, you’re a hottie. Loved the f-me boots (yow!). You go, girl. :slight_smile:

Sambuca is a cordial and as such should be served in a cordial glass. This may look like a narrow, high-walled shot glass or a very small cocktail (sherry) glass. If this is not available (many bars do not inventory cordial glasses) then it can be served in a small snifter. I don’t hold with serving cordials over ice (although some are best served chilled) but if you want to do so it should be served in a rocks glass over ice. No drink should ever be served on the rocks in a snifter or cocktail glass.

The “let’s light the drink on fire” is a bad idea, except for brandy on pudding. Serving flaming drinks to drunk folk is a good way to have to explain to a bar owner why he has to close down shop for a week and make a $50,000 insurance claim. It doesn’t make the drink taste better.

I’m not sure what the deal is with the coffee beans but it seems to be a popular thing with the hipster bars these days. Ouzo (also a licorice liquor, but Greek instead of Italian) is not served this way, so far as I know.

Stranger

Setting fire toalcohol? Gees, what is this - Club Med 1978?

Sambuca is a liqueur and the ‘right’ way to drink it is as a digestive, with an espresso, after dinner. The coffee beans are just decorations, really. Apart from anis, I believe elder gives it that distinct flavor.
As with all liqueurs, the connotation is ‘girlie’ - traditionally men would have brandy or grappa as digestive, and the ladies would order something sweeter and less potent.

I get a feeling that every now and then some market wiz kid comes up with a plan, that makes a certain brand of alcohol very popular with a larger crowd. I remember a Frangelico, a Jägermeister, a Fernet Branca craze. Many consumers want to try it, not everyone likes it and bartenders invent ways to sell the stuff that’s not traditional.

I’m kind of a traditionalist when it comes to these things, but wouldn’t try to force my way on anyone else - if you like the stuff in a certain way, have it that way. It’s not gonna be a big breach of etiquette in a rowdy bar.
Sitting down to a fancy dinner in Italy and ordering the waiter to set flame to your Sambuca, will make you look very weird, though. As they say, when in Rome, drink Sambuca straight.

Sambuca maker Molinari has quite a good site. For legal reasons, they want you to say that you’re 18, to enter. Drinking age is lower in Italy.

Ouzo (and arrack) is actually different from sambuka- not as sweet and syruppey, more of a “man’s” drink. The proper way to drink it is either straight or with ice water.

The correct way is to pour a shot into your mouth and have a friend light it while it’s in your mouth.

Ever other way is lame.

No, no, no! no flames in the mouth! Gack! :eek: That wins you a trip to ER and the stupid award for the evening! double gack!

I had in on the rocks in a whiskey glass–that’s how it came. My mother has sherry glasses–meh. The sherry-Not so much, eh ya know? double meh.

I did not ask for it to be lit b/c it was on the rocks–also, I tend to agree with the poster who said that there is something juvenile about wanting flames and alcohol to mix (stranger ?). That’s why I asked about it.

Anyhoo-I was much more worked up about the dead balloon of an evening. Hubby this AM apologized (sinus headache). I slept like a baby (love the lovely Sambucca for that) and am fine today–not a scrap of a hangover.

A few things:

I like to do things “the correct way” as much as anybody, but I am not in Rome at present; I loathe “digestives” (it sounds like a treatment, instead of part of a meal!) and I don’t drink espresso.

Also, I am not into “trendy” drinks, nor do I think that Sambucca qualifies as one. I was asking for direction–not judgement. Didn’t realize that I could only imbibe after a huge pasta meal and on a patio somewhere in Tuscany–I will take that under advisement.

I don’t know why I have had it served with 3 coffee beans, I didn’t ask for them–I didn’t get them this time-and I didn’t say, “hold the beans”. The first time I had Sambucca was about 15 years ago (cute waiter, martini glass, alight, coffee beans). The next time was about a year ago and then last noc. Doubt highly I am trendsetting with that track record.

Maybe I am just snarky today (see squeegee’s post for reason why), but I sense a superior tone to the Gaspode’s post that ticks me off a bit.

And what is with the ouzo? If you ordered chocolate pudding with me, would you like it if I kept pushing chocolate mousse? I didn’t want ouzo–maybe someday I will (doubt it since I have heard it can strip paint).

God, at leat I didn’t order milk! :smiley:

I had quite a surprise(it involved a recent lingerie purchase etc) in mind for my husband and it didn’t happen. I was bummed and posted about it. No biggie.

Thank you all (all those who did) reassure me that I am a hottie, even though you have no idea what I look like. I appreciate such a show of solidarity in Dopers. I will be certain to return the favor at the earliest possible time! :slight_smile:

And thank you for the info re: how to serve Sambucca. Personally, I cannot see how anyone could drink it straight and room temp. But that is probably my poor palate and lack of sophistication coming thru for all to see. I wish there was a sticking tongue out at you smiley, but there isn’t. :cool:

Ooh-am really bitchy now. I’ll shut up.