How do I get the back off of a timex watch so I can replace the battery

I have a Timex Expedition watch similiar to this . On the back is a metal plate with a small arrow pointing towards a piece of the backing, I guess you’re supposed to put something under there to get the backing off but I don’t know what.

The instructions on the Timex webpage say ‘it is strongly recommended that a retailer or jeweler replace battery’ so i’ll probably have to do that instead.

CAVEAT EMPTOR, i.e. proceed at your own (and the Timex’s) risk.
The jeweler will use a short blunt knife like blade set in a heavy duty wood handle, so as to maintain control of the blade. Then simply pry the back off. You may need some small jeweler’s screwdrivers to remove the battery retaining clips, if any. Remove old and install new battery. Reset system if needed. You do have the instructions that came with the watch, do you not? If that doesn’t work take it to a jeweler.

I strongly urge you to take it to someone who knows how to do this without asking questions. Watches are extremely easy to damage, and prying the back off is one of the riskier things that will ever be done to it.

Besides, if you have to go to a jeweler to get the battery, you may as well have them do it - usually, they don’t charge anything beyond the price of the battery.

I’ve had bad luck with doing it myself. Several times, I successfully replaced the battery, only to ruin the watch the next time it was immersed in water. Somehow I damaged the waterproof seal on the watch.

I just had the battery replaced on a Timex Expedition. My local independant jeweler charged me $7 and had a hard time getting the back off.

The battery probably retails for $4, just write the check.

Your jeweler will probably use a “watch crab” to remove the back:

http://www.pinnaclesupplies.com/largeviewwatchback.htm (top photo).

I use a Swiss Army knife, small blade, applied very near the hilt.

The battery will have a code on it (ex: R30101). Take it to the wristwatch counter at Target. Tell the nice lady you need a watch battery. She will tell you they have the Energizer® version of that battery, ER30101. Give her 3 or 4 dollars.

Go home, drop it in, snap the back on.

That’s how I just did it… Good luck.

I had almost the exact same model of watch, and several jewelers refused to do it. They said that Timex watches were a pain in the @ss to service and said it needed to be sent in (at a cost of $75) to service. The watch was only $35!

I threw it away and got a Casio with a 10-year battery.

Another vote for taking it to a jeweler who will do it for $5 or so. Find a little shop; stay away from chains. That’s what I do with all of my newer watches nowadays. The problem is not so much in getting the back off; that can be done with some care and diligence. The real difficulty comes when you have to put the cover back on with the right pressure without damaging the rest of the watch! It’s not worth the trouble to DIY.