Old 07-01-2005, 04:05 PM
Charter Member

How does one get red wines stains off of a white cat?

I was drinking wine and watching TV late last night.

Unbeknownst to me, my tuxedo cat (Tuna) stalked his way across the back of the couch, attacked the wine glass as I raised it for a sip, then bid a rather loud and hasty retreat, waking up Mrs. Dooku.

Tuna emerged several minutes later with red wine stains on his little white bridge-of-the-nose fur, as well as a rather large red wine stain on his rather large white belly fur. Tuna was not pleased with this development. Mrs. Dooku was, of course, also not pleased with this development, having no regard whatsoever for my lack of culpability in this matter.

I valiantly tried to remove the stains, despite the rather aggressive protestations of Tuna. I tried soap and hot water, then shampoo and water, to no effect. Then I tried dishwashing detergent, and finally Goop. No change, except for one seriously pissed off yet spotlessly clean cat...with wine stains. Googling didn't give me any help beyond what I'd already tried.

I was hesitant to spray Wine Away in Tuna's face, or use any other sort of strong cleanser out of fear of its toxicity.

I'm now tasked with removing the wine stains before Holiday Guests arrive. Tomorrow. As of this morning the stains hadn't faded away in the slightest. I got some stuff from the pet store that removes pet stains from carpet and furniture, but it didn't do jack shit. Pet store did confirm that Wine Away and OxiClean were not good things to put on a cat's skin.

Is there anything at all I can do? Any sort of home remedy that someone may know about? It's no picnic having every living creature in my household pissed at me.

• Errors in geography:
Krakatoa is west of Java.
Old 07-01-2005, 04:10 PM

Really. I'm not laughing. 'Cause, you know, this is serious.

I think you may be SOL, given the use of hot water which, on clothing at least, sets the stain. Have you tried club soda? If you can't hold dear Tuna in a tub of club soda (even with the rubber gloves to protect you from dear Tuna's claws and teeth), perhaps a washcloth soaked in club soda and applied to the affected areas?

My only other suggestion is one that will require Mrs. Dooku's assent: in honor of the fourth of July, get out a blue magic marker . . .
Old 07-01-2005, 04:16 PM

Did you try brushing really, really well? I think your only hope is to shed the stain out.

At Target, in the Dog section, they have this thing called a shedding blade. A long flexible piece of metal with small teeth, and two handles. Should cost under $5. I'v never known the cat that didn't love to be groomed with this tool, and it is very effective at pulling out fur gently.

Personally, I like Campion's suggestion. Most patriotic cat... evar.

PS - I think your wife is a little bit off her nutter. Who cares if the cat is stained when guests arive!?
Old 07-01-2005, 04:17 PM

Maybe you should just dip the whole cat in some wine.
Old 07-01-2005, 04:31 PM

My first thought was "Let it grow out" but I doubt that'll work overnight.

If you can't brush it out, shave it out or wash it off perhaps a little dab of animal-safe black dye to the tummy, just make the tuxedo a little more black than white :-)
Old 07-01-2005, 04:35 PM

Maybe try a little disolved Oxyclean or equivalent. It usually works well. Just wash it off before the cat tries to lick the cleaned spot.
Old 07-01-2005, 04:48 PM
Charter Member

HaaaaaaaaHaa Ha! Haaaaaaaaaawawaw Haa Ha! Haw ha ha!

Haaaaaaaaaaw Haaaw Haa!

-Wipes tear away.
This is one for the archives.
Old 07-01-2005, 05:00 PM

I have heard that pink-and-black tuxedo cats are the height of fashion this year.

Seriously, my suggestion is to do nothing. After a few days of tongue-grooming by the cat, the stain will probably be gone. We had a white cat who was temporarily turned orange by spaghetti sauce (it fell on the kitchen floor and he rolled in it). The discoloration was barely perceptible in about a week.
Old 07-01-2005, 05:01 PM
Charter Member

I'm down with the whole "dye the cat" idea that Gangster Octopus had. Or you could go for a whole Jackson Pollock effect. Abstract Expressionist Kitty
Old 07-01-2005, 05:04 PM
Charter Member

vinegar
Old 07-01-2005, 05:20 PM
Charter Member

Or you could shave the entire cat. Also I hear that white wine gets red wine out of carpets, so maybe it works on cats too.
Old 07-01-2005, 05:24 PM

Rub it with some Camembert.
Old 07-01-2005, 05:25 PM

Your mistake was using hot water. It set the stain.
Old 07-01-2005, 05:26 PM

Show dog person here

If you really REALLY BADLY want to take the stains out, the only product I can recommend is Chris Christensen's "White on White" shampoo. You can buy it at the 3cdog.com website (go under "grooming", then shampoos and cleaners - it's on the third page). It can take nasty stains out of white coats like nobody's business. It might be worth a shot...
Old 07-01-2005, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkfreud
Seriously, my suggestion is to do nothing. After a few days of tongue-grooming by the cat, the stain will probably be gone. We had a white cat who was temporarily turned orange by spaghetti sauce (it fell on the kitchen floor and he rolled in it). The discoloration was barely perceptible in about a week.
I’m sure that will work. This Easter my wife and I were dyeing eggs and pounding a few brewskys. After a few too many of the aforementioned brewskys, I did a cool little blue number on the poodle’s head while my wife wasn’t looking. Needless to say, my wife rolled her eyes and muttered something about ‘men’. The blue wore off in about ten days.
Old 07-01-2005, 05:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawdirk
Your mistake was using hot water. It set the stain.
Actually, I think my mistake was...nevermind.

OK, I tried the shedding blade....he does not like the shedding blade. That seemed to take some of the stain off, but his skin underneath still has red spots on it. Also, the hair on the bridge of his nose is too short for that.

pinkfreud and Washoe: you may have missed that I'm tasked with getting rid of these stains before my wife's family comes to visit TOMORROW. I can't just wait for it to go away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hello Again
PS - I think your wife is a little bit off her nutter. Who cares if the cat is stained when guests arive!?
That's a great idea. I'll tell her that when she gets home. She gets really freaked out around her parents, plus they're tea totallers, so she's really worried about them noticing wine stains. And they're definitely noticeable.

Elenfair, I will go try and find some "White on White" today - thanks for the suggestion. I can't wait around for it to arrive off the internet, but I know some places that specialize in show dog type stuff, so I may get lucky.

Further updates as events warrant. I may get around to posting a picture - it is rather amusing seeing the shaved spot, the red fur, the ears back, and the total shit-eating look he's giving me.
Old 07-01-2005, 06:01 PM

this thread is meaningless without pictures.
Old 07-01-2005, 06:05 PM
Charter Member

Cover the wine stains with butter, and your cat will lick himself clean.

Go forth! And butter your cat.
Old 07-01-2005, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooku
they're tea totallers
Tell 'em it's cranberry juice.
Old 07-01-2005, 06:27 PM

Hydrogen peroxide maybe? Of course, be careful not to let him lick it off, but I shouldn't think it would be harmful. It does whiten teeth and bleach hair.

Failing that, I second what the other poster said. Pick up some nontoxic hair dye and dab a little on the spots.
Old 07-01-2005, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervaise
Tell 'em it's cranberry juice.
Tell 'em you were trying to convert her into a Catholic cat and she fell into the Communion cup.
Old 07-01-2005, 06:46 PM
Charter Member

Ginger ale. If it can get a wine stain out of a carpet, a cat should be no problem. And it's non toxic.
Old 07-01-2005, 07:16 PM

Congrats Dooku for the damndest thread I've had the pleasure of reading in a while. Perhaps you should change your username to drinkswithcats.
Old 07-01-2005, 07:23 PM

A second vote for hydrogen peroxide.
Old 07-01-2005, 07:33 PM

If all else fails, I think the answer is obvious—haven’t you ever seen Meet the Parents?
Old 07-01-2005, 07:44 PM

If it's a question of not freaking out the parents, maybe just put the cat up at the vet for a day or two. He might complain, but you can make it up to him later with a nice Bordeaux.
Old 07-01-2005, 07:48 PM
Charter Member

Or tell the parents to defer their visit until another time - simply cannot be helped, as there is an outbreak of scarlet fever in the area.

Poor kitty.

Poor Dooku

I dunno, the things the kits get up to these days.
Old 07-01-2005, 08:35 PM
Charter Member

Oh, hell, I'd be totally amused. What's the big deal? In college our neighbors had a tux-colored cat who was getting too good at sneaking up on birds, so they did a 'manic panic' organic hot pink dye job on his front-- no bird ever failed to notice him again.
Old 07-01-2005, 08:44 PM
Charter Member

White spray paint ?

- Tamerlane
Old 07-01-2005, 09:01 PM

Just borrow a neighbour's cat for the day.
Old 07-01-2005, 09:32 PM

This is a no brainer: you'll have to help the cat lick it's fur clean.

It's the only thing that'll work.

Honest.
Old 07-01-2005, 10:00 PM

Ah, parents. Believe me, I can relate.

Have you tried rubbing alcohol? (rub it on the affected area and keep using a new clean spot on the cloth to avoid smearing). It works wonders on grass stains on horses, might as well give it a whirl if you have some in the house. Unfortunately if the skin is rubbed red, it might be a bit stingy at this point.

If you are unable to find dog-grooming products, you have a few options.
1. Horse stores (including PetSmart stores, Tractor Supply and many garden-center type store serving a general agriculture clientele). There is a whitening horse shampoo called QuicsSilver. It is very effective and may even come in a sample size.
2. There are bluing (whitening) shampoos available for human hair (they aren't as strong as QuicSilver) available wherever shampoos are sold. Look for the ones that look kind of... blue.
3. In the laundry aisle, there is a product called Mrs. Stewart's Bluing Agent. It's in a small b lue bottle with some red on the label and a drawing of Mrs Stewart. Mix a couple of drops with your normal pet shampoo and go to town.
Old 07-01-2005, 10:46 PM

Try Crest white strips or some other kind of tooth whitening stuff. Kitty will be minty fresh!
Old 07-01-2005, 11:10 PM

We use bleach solution around here to clean our counters, and it can do a number on clothes if we happen to lean over the counter. We're not dead yet.

Conclusion: would a solution of bleach in water kill kitty, as long as she doesn't lick it?
Old 07-01-2005, 11:14 PM

Can you post a picture of said cat after you’ve tried every single solution we’ve suggested?
Old 07-01-2005, 11:15 PM

..and a pic of yourself after your wife gets a hold of you?
Old 07-01-2005, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washoe
Can you post a picture of said cat after you’ve tried every single solution we’ve suggested?
Done!

--Cliffy
Old 07-02-2005, 03:44 AM

I empathize, really I do, but I have now laughed so much that I can hardly see to type because of the tearspots on my glasses, and I woke up one of my dogs who is now looking at me like I'm a total lunatic.

That aside, would hydrogen peroxide really be advisable around the nose of poor stained Tuna? That's pretty close to the eyes, and given the way cats can protest, that's a little worrisome to me.
Old 07-02-2005, 04:08 AM

Dust your cat with flour. Instant camouflage, and the cat will want to lick it off, so there's your cleaning taken care of. Better still, dust your cat with cocaine. Then you can both lick it off.

But whatever you do, don't shave it, or you'll be getting the same tired old 1970's era Playboy magazine jokes from everybody who walks in your front door.

4th of July cat
Old 07-02-2005, 04:59 AM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

While researching how to get red wine stains out of fabric, I found a lot of people recommend white wine. I've since found that vinegar works well too (well, it's all related isn't it).

However, after the hot water and the time that's elapsed, I don't think either will be very effective. Still might be worth a go. Poor kitty.
Old 07-02-2005, 11:02 AM

Just tell the folks it's beets and move on. After this the cat will be in hiding throughout their visit anyway.
Old 07-02-2005, 02:26 PM

Try vinegar, or seltzer water.
Old 07-02-2005, 02:49 PM

Just tell your guests that the cat is entering a twelve step program, and offer no further explanation.
Old 07-02-2005, 03:08 PM

Did you get the stains out? Or does poor Tuna now look like this?
Old 07-02-2005, 03:56 PM

I guess all jokes with the punchline "a sun-burnt nun" are out of the question for a few days too...
Old 07-03-2005, 01:51 PM
Charter Member

Hoo boy. Nothing like a little hysterical drama to get the holiday weekend started.

I'd like to thank everyone for their suggestions - this board just paid for itself for the next five years.

And the winner was......Elenfair's "white on white" solution. It just about got rid of it completely - huzzah! I owe you one.

The In-Laws said not one word about it. Little did they know what I (and Tuna) went through in the 24 hours before their arrival.

So here's some pics, just to put things in perspective:

Go here and you'll see:

"Pre-Accident": An older picture before the madness

"Post-Accident": After trying soap, shampoo, dishwashing detergent, Goop, carpet stain remover, and vinegar.

"Final": After using the "white on white" solution.

Lesson learned: be aware of attacking kitties while drinking red wine.