How can I wear a button-down shirt casually?

I have a few shirts from H&M that are long-sleeved button-downs - they’re businessy enough for “the office,” but are definitely much more stylish than comparable garments from department stores. How do I wear these casually - say, with nice jeans and loafers?

I come from the school that says anything tucked into jeans looks herby, but untucked looks sloppy to me, especially since these shirts are the same length all around rather than having those cut-outs on the sides.

What’s the answer for looking good but casual if I want to wear these out to a casual dinner or for drinks?

Dark pair of jeans and untucked (sorry). Loafers? Well, ok if you are going for an…older look, but that isn’t the look sported by the youngins (either some shiny dress shoes or, better yet, some classed up sneakers).

I personally wear light-colored button up shirts with the sleeves rolled up and unbuttoned . Underneath I always wear a cute dark camisole so it’s cute and flirty, but not too flashy. And any kind of jeans and a nice belt ties off the look. It can look good with flip flops, sneakers or even heels.

If you have dark shirts, then a light tank top or camisole would go well with them because the contrast of the colors really do make the outfit. But it’s your style, so just play with the colors and see what you think looks best. :slight_smile:

Hope this helped!

Err the above post is applicable if you’re female! I wasn’t sure if you were or not so I used my own experience ^^;

I’m going to pretty much echo what DiosaBellissima said. When I “dress down” a button-up shirt, I leave it untucked (I actually always felt better about leaving shirts cut as you describe untucked, vs. shirts that have severe cutouts at the bottom). Then I go for the dark jeans and black shoes (square-toed, not formal). Occasionally, to jazz things up, I’ll wear a colored T-shirt under the button-up, and leave more than just the top button unbuttoned.

Occasionally I find that, when untucked, dress shirts fall too far below my belt, and look sort of stupid. In those situations, I switch out the jeans for a pair of flat-front slacks (at this point, things are getting a little bit more formal, I guess, but casual is what you make it) and tuck the shirt in.

It’s entirely possible that I have bad style, but I think I look pretty decent dressed up like this.

Heh. I was wondering the same thing. I actually resorted to digging through VCO3’s old posts to determine whether he was male (and hence whether my advice was relevant) or not. I’m fairly confident in my assessment that he is, in fact, a guy.

Yea, pretty much what everyone else said.

Hrm, you need to describe the shirts more. What color are they? Patterns? I’ve never been in one, but know H&M is a rather trendy store so I assume the shirts are cut to be somewhat fitted. Wear clothes that fit.

Stream of thought follows.

Don’t button it all the way up. Leave the very top collar button unbuttoned and usually the next one down also.

Dark jeans are almost universally better, but every once in a while you run an odd color that goes better with light jeans – judgement is needed.

If you’re going for casual, don’t tuck it in, period.
Roll up those sleeves.

I found that my hair drastically changed my appearance. I wear a fairly unique style of spikey hair and its changed my appearance from somewhat dorky to much more in tune with my current wardrobe.

Sometimes NOT ironing a shirt makes it look much more casual.

Attitude. If you FEEL casual, you will appear more casual. People who are self conscious are very easily recognizable.

Also the more you wear nicer clothes as casual clothes the more your friends(and yourself!) will acclimatize to your wardrobe and accept it as casual.

Tennis shoe or boots. I prefer sketchers myself as they are a good compromise between a comfortable functional shoe, low cost, and style. I also like diesel and steve maddens, but thats just personal taste( I can’t afford em!).

Ignore ‘fashion’, What you want is to develop your own personal ‘style’.

** PenChan**

I thought I knew about all the UCD dopers on this board. Are you a freshman?

Oh yea,

your skin color will help dictate what colors you can wear. I can’t really set any rules on this, but it’s just true. Some colors look dumb on white guys, while every color under the sun will look good on a well carried black man.

FTR i’m a fairly dark asian.

Jeans with that stone washed fade can help make you look more casuall… just don’t over do it.

Untucked dress shirts don’t look casual - they look sloppy. There’s a difference.

I disagree plnnr. Leave it untucked and roll up the sleeves. I like mine just below the elbow, but it’s a comfort and balance issue. You can either leave the top couple of buttons open or you can wear a colored T underneath it for contrast and just unbutton it and leave it open.

-Mike

I always wear button up dress shirts, and they are always tucked in, even with jeans. Untucked is messy. Leave the collar undone and maybe roll up the sleeves a turn or two.

But, as said above, find your own style. Decide how you’re comfortable and go with it.

Another thing, if you are looking for ideas check out sites for stores that you like. I shop at Banana Republic quite a bit, so I know that they have style that I like. Look at the sites and check out what the models are wearing and how. Lots of untucked dress shirts there.

Herby? Is that like nerdy?

I disagree regarding the tucking of shirts into jeans–tucking just demonstrates that you don’t have a belly to hide and should be a badge of honor. But if you want to go untucked, isn’t the kind of shirt tail you describe just the right kind for that?

I agree with Spectre regarding the shirt. If it’s the same length all around, it’s probably not meant to be tucked in. The scopped sides with longer front and back is the sign it’s supposed to be tucked in. Although I disagree with the few who have said it looks messy - it’s supposed to be casual. Tucked in is very preppy. If you like J. Crew styles (I still can’t get over their lobsters or crabs or puppies or whatever it was on their pants), then this is good for you. If you’re more “hip” (sorry to anybody I’m insulting here), untucked with dark colored jeans and rolled up sleeves is good. Put a sports coat or blazer or whatever they’re called on top, and you’re good to go!

I think the tucker versus untucked is a generational thing. (BTW, it’s the same for women pretty much. My aunts, mom, and older friends always tuck in their shirts, younger women never do.)

Anyway, here’s a pic of my gorgeous male friends dressed up for night on the town. You can kinda see the tucked/untucked age breakdown. (except my friend on the right who is actually the oldest of the group but exceptionally stylish) BTW, we made the guy in the T-shirt change into a nicer shirt.

I seem to recall the OP is around 25 so my vote is: untucked, sleeves rolled up, nice jeans, and either good leather shoes (example) or possibly some stylish trainers (but you need to know what you’re looking for).

We discussed that possibility in my earlier thread here, where I, as a tucker, noticed I was starting to be mistaken for a store employee when I went to places like Blockbuster, and assumed it was because of the tucked shirt. The general consensus seemed to be that it wasn’t generational, because a number of guys around my age said they’d never tucked their shirts in unless they were wearing a suit or something.

But I’m inclined to agree that it mostly is generational. I remember the 70’s were neat…you tucked your shirt into your striped bell bottoms (:eek:), or your Levi flares or straightleg jeans (which nobody called 501s in those days, excepting only LS&Co staff). The only guys I saw who didn’t tuck were fat guys with something to hide. If not generational, maybe it was regional then.

I’m a fan of wearing an untucked unbuttoned shirt over a tucked-in solid color t-shirt in a complimentary color. Done properly, it can look both casual and stylish.

Untucked is gong to look best if the shirt is fitted, and also you don’t have to roll up the sleeves. Just don’t button the cuffs and you’ve got a cool L.A./Euro chic look goin’.

tremorviolet, who is the doll in the brown number?