Music to Play on my Octave Mandolin

I have an octave mandolin. (Moderately) fair player, and I can read. Most of the more complicated stuff I’ve worked out is from the '20s to the '40s. I’d like to work on something classical for a good change and I can transcribe from other instruments. Any recommendations? Sources? Other ocave mando playre out there?

Is it something I said?

<bump>

Well, this is what you said that caused me to hesitate before contributing:

I really only ever hear folkies playing the Octave Mandolin.

The Irish Bouzouki is similar to the Octave Mandolin. I love Beth Patterson’s use of the Irish Bouzouki. If you’re not afraid of the folkies, definitely check out some of her music , she’s amazing (and currently homeless like evryone else from New Orleans :frowning: )

So is an octave mandolin a mandola?

Those are used here to play Irish music, though mostly as an accompanying instrument the same way as a bouzouki. There’s no reason you couldn’t play the tunes themselves though, though in a session you’d probably be drowned out by fiddles, banjos and the like.

Anyway, you might hate Irish music, but should you need any more help in playing that, just say so as it is my hobby horse.

One manufacturer’s set of definitions (scroll down)

Actually, scrolling down will NOT get you to the source of my quote.

You have to click on the title “Mandolin Family Explained”. For some reason I can’t link directly to the right page.

I play the mandolin at a few notches above the hacker level, mostly bluegrass and Irish, and I’ve played a (borrowed) octave mandolin in an Irish band. I’m not well-versed in classical and my reading is atrocious, and furthermore it’s not clear to me what “complicated stuff” you’re talking about. I agree with the Pooka that going to Irish music sessions might not be your cup of stout if you’re sitting at home transposing Stravinsky oboe parts, but you can at least play with other people, even if they are determined to drown you out.

You could check out the Classical Mandolin Society for more info. The Mandolin Cafe is a good source for general mandolin stuff.

I’d recommend looking into Bartok’s Roumanian Dances. The mandolinist Radim Zenkl (I think he’s Czech) might be of interst to you also.

Thanks to all for the replies.
I can and do play folk music with it, but mostly at a single line level. An example of the “more complicated stuff” would be the transcription of “As time goes by” that I’m working on, or a version of “Stardust” that I’m fairly proud of. I do a nice “I can’t give you anything but love”, too (if I do say so myself). I’m starting to get better at walking chords instead of just melody lines. But I need some stuff that I absolutely can’t do yet for a bit of a stretch.
And I’m beginning to suffer the “everything I play sounds the same!” problem.
I’ll check out those links when I have a few minutes.

Beth Patterson kicks ass!

even if she is homeless . . . aww, now I made myself sad again. :frowning: