I'm learning how to play poker. Og help me...

There has been a Friday poker game at work for the past couple of years. I’ve never so much as watched poker on TV, but lately I’ve been getting to know a bunch of people who are regulars at the weekly game, and a couple of weeks ago I finally went and watched a tournament. And, of course, decided that I might just have to try playing.

I got busy last week and forgot about the game, but today I played. Apparently there has been a lot of interest from people new to the game, so the guy who organizes the weekly game set up a “beginners” tournament where the buy-in was only $1 instead of the usual $20. They also allowed people to buy more chips for the first 90 minutes, which they usually don’t allow at all. (The game is no-limit Texas hold 'em, btw … of course, right?)

I had so much fun! I’m struggling with the betting: I know when I have a good hand, but I have trouble keeping track of when the bet is to me and what the minimum is, and what it means for me when someone raises. And it took me a few hands to realize that I can only check if no one else raised. But I had so much fun! I had a couple of hands that I played really well (if I say so myself), and I know I’ll get the hang of the betting the more that I play.

Now I just have to get the hang of pissing away $20 every week, because I’m hooked! :smiley:

Ahem.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1585676543/qid=1126915774/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_3/002-0134869-0783238?v=glance&s=books

Forgive me for being skeptical, but let me give you some tips anyway, just to make sure you’re on the right page. I’ll start from the beginning (I’m not trying to be patronizing, if I come across as such, I apologize in advance), but I promise to make it worth your time.

Right away, when you look at your cards, you should note two things: (1) how high your cards are, (2) whether they’re paired or suited. The very best hands are both high cards and either paired or suited. Of course, the best hands are high (A-J) and paired/suited. Very few people have problems telling what the very best hand to start with is: AA.

If you stick to playing only the very best hands, you’ll basically play only those, end up sitting around 95% of the time, get bored, and piss off your friends because you stretch the game out.

So, basically, which hands are “good” depends VERY VERY VERY much on your individual situation. If you’re playing with friends, you’re entitled to play more hands than you might otherwise. If you’re playing for fun, you’ll want to play more hands than if you’re playing to make money. If you’re on the button, you have good position (you get to see everyone else act before you have to commit), and you can play more hands than if you’re in early position.

For certain hands (high pairs), you’re in a good position to start off, in the sense that you have a high probability of winning, and a low probability of splitting the pot. For other hands (suited connectors and low pairs), you’re in a bad position to start off – but you have a slim chance of getting lucky, and although you’ll be losing 90% of the time when you play them, when you do win, you’ll win big, so overall you come out positive.

When you’re in early position (under the gun, for instance), you want to stick to the best hands and leave out the speculative hands. When you’re in late position (on the button, for instance), you have the freedom to play more hands.

A good book to read is Dan Harrington’s book on No-Limit Poker. It’s expensive, but will likely pay for itself in the long run.

Well, the easiest way to tell when it’s your turn is when people turn and look at you. :stuck_out_tongue: The second easiest is to go when the person to your right goes. :smiley: (that is, unless you’re the small blind)

The easiest way to keep track of the bets is to remember them as multiples of the big blind. For example, if you’re playing 10-20, then the big blind is 10, but count it as one bet. The minimum for betting is one “bet” before and after the flop, and two “bets” after the turn and river.

The minimum for raising is one multiple of the last bet or raise. So for example, if someone bets 10, you have to raise at least 10. If someone bets 10 and someone else raises to 50, then you have to raise in multiples of 40. Keep in mind that sometimes people like to raise “to” a certain amount (i.e. bet 10, raise to 100 = bet 10, raise 90), while some people like to raise a certain amount (i.e. bet 10, raise 10 = bet 10, raise to 20).

As for knowing how much it is “to” you, there’s no easy way to tell. It’s the current bet minus what you’ve already put in. You bet 10, someone raises to 20, someone re-raises 60 more, and there’s no easy way around the math – (20-10)+60 = 70 to you.

With a little organization, you can make the process a little easier: don’t let people “splash” the pot (throw their chips haphazardly), and force everyone to keep their bets in nice piles in front of them. When the betting is done, collect all the chips into the middle, freeing up space for the next round of betting. This way, it’s easy for everyone to see what was bet this round (as opposed to what was bet last round).

Next time you watch TV, note how the dealer will sweep everything into the muck, giving players space (and also to prevent cheating!), and players will be nice and stack their bets into appropriately-sized stacks (i.e. if they bet $1000, they will put out 10 $100 chips stacked in two stacks of five).

or, for the quick answer, the “dealer” of the tournament will tell you when it’s your turn to bet and what the minimum is
as for what a raise means to you - it means that the person who raised believes he can beat you - take a good look at what the common cards are and think about hoe good your hand really is - if it’s only a “6” or “7” on a scale of “10”, you may want to fold, unless you’re very good at bluffing, in which case ‘bump’em back’ (raise again) - if your hand ranks an “8” of “10” or better (ie you have a pair of kings or aces in the ‘hole’) bet your little heart out
MIND YOU - this is my personal strategy - YRMV
If you have the time, there are a myriad of texts on the subject, and many free on line poker sites where you can practice (a ‘google’ will list them)

Or play with us. We’ll only take 60 cents of your money each week.

My advice is just to play more.

Eventually you will learn to play situations rather than just hands and it will be a big leap in your play. Later if you are lucky you will learn to play the other players and that will be another leap in your game.

For now…
Raise with your premium hands before the flop.
If you do play a small pair remember “no set no bet” after the flop.
Fold, fold, fold then fold some more.
Watch the hands you are not in.
Learn to read the board.
Develop a pattern for how you look at your cards, place your card protector, and handle your chips the same every time no matter what action you are going to take in that hand.
Fold again.
Your AA will get cracked.

Bias conformation is a bitch…bad beats are often not as “bad” and people remember them if you reconstruct the hand.

Something that’s been touched on a bit but can’t in my estimation be stressed enough is position, position, position. Hands that you can play in later position are hands you don’t think twice about playing earlier.

One rookie mistake to avoid is over-valuing marginal hands, especially small-to-mid pocket pairs (tens or lower), suited large-gap cards (e.g. K6, J3, etc.) and weak Aces. They all look pretty but the odds of improvement aren’t great, and in many cases even if you do improve you’re still going to be behind. If you’re not able to give them up you’re going to lose big and often.

Sorry, y’all: I appreciate the advice, but I didn’t mean for this to be a “tell me how to play poker” thread. I already heard all of this, from several people, during the 2.5 hours that I played today (and the 1-hour lesson/practice game I went to yesterday that I didn’t mention in the OP, and the 3-hour game that I watched two weeks ago). :slight_smile: I also appreciate the book recommendations, but there’s no way in hell I’m going to read about poker. It’s just not something I’ll ever take that seriously, plus I’ve always been one to prefer learning by doing: I’ll figure out what I need to know by simply playing.

Of everyone’s advice here, only yours seemed condescending. So, apology accepted. :wink:

Like I said, I just need to learn by doing. I’ve learned a lot already, it’s just that betting is where I still tend to get stuck – though from what everyone in the game told me, that’s a common thing for beginners to get stuck on. As for keeping the game “organized,” we do. Everything you wrote, we did today.

“Next time?” I’ve never watched poker on TV, and I don’t intend to ever watch poker on TV.

Yes, that part seems fairly obvious. :wink: What I meant is that I had trouble keeping track of what it meant in terms of how much I needed to bet in order to stay in the hand.

I understand your point – really, because I’ve heard it several times in the past couple of weeks – but just feel the need to mention that the biggest pot I won today was courtesy of a K6 pocket. And they weren’t even suited. :wink:

Jeez, can’t a person simply express joy about discovering a new vice anymore? :smiley:

I too recently started playing weekly poker with my collegues. I knew the game beforehand, but really didn’t get a hang on betting strategy and reading other players until the last couple weeks. We play a lot, and a few people play in on-line tournaments when they’re not playing in our group. We play $10 buy ins for $1000 in chips. Then the winner takes about 70% of the pot, with the 2nd place person taking home the rest. Last time we played was Thursday. I won all 3 games, and took home about $100. (we played $5 buy in on the first game, and there weren’t as many people as ususal…darn) :slight_smile: So far, I’m about $115 ahead all told, so I feel pretty good. We only play no-limit Hold’em. Great game…love the strategy, reading your opponents, etc.

The major change I did this week is I folded any time I got the feeling I was going to lose the hand. I had previously been stupid and played out hands I had large amounts of chips in, even though I knew I’d lose…just because I didn’t want to give away the money. For instance: playing pocket 3’s out the whole way when there’s J, K, 8 on the flop and a hard betting opponent. Stopped doing that, among other things, and started winning more consistently.

Good job. That’s a lesson it can take people a long time to learn. Be careful not to play too soft, though. You don’t want to let people tag you either as someone who only plays made hands or who will fold to a big bet or raise. Also be aware of the pot odds, which may dictate a call even if you know your hand isn’t the best.

I’m starting to learn how to play Omaha and Omaha Hi/Lo. You want to talk about a game that makes your head hurt, it’s Omaha Hi/Lo. I wound up in hands (all play money) where if it was just high I would never have been in past the flop but because I had a good shot at the low stuck around, only to lose the low to a guy with an ace to beat my two.

Ooh, I loves me some Omaha 8! I feel like I have more of an instictive feel for OH8 than I do for hold 'em, but no one I know plays offline so I’m stuck playing online with the yutzes who don’t know the meaning of the term “pre-flop hand selection” (although they have no trouble at all with the phrases “suck out” and “miracle card”). Staking your claim on the low without a shot at the high is bad strategy. You’re at best going to take half the pot, and you could easily end up chopping the low or losing it outright.

I shall remember that. So, the best hand would be like A2QK, of two different suits?

For OH8 the best starting hand would be AAK2 (or AAT2) double suited. Top pair, nut low, two straight draws and two nut flush draws.