When did ghosts start rattling chains and moaning?

Has this been an occurence for all times or a creation of the Gothic or Victorian years?

I’ve always wondered about this every time I see an episode of Scooby Doo.

Traditional Japanese ghost stories feature spirits moaning.

Well, Marley’s ghost (in A Christmas Carol) had to drag around a chain of money boxes, but that was a poetic punishment, not just to make spooky noise.

Perhaps the Marley ghost began the stereotypical chain thing. Anybody know if ghosts had chains before A Christmas Carol?

Not long ago I read a book of Medieval ghost stories, going from the 700s to the 1400s. It’s surprising how far back the ghost story tropes go, including the moaning and groaning, usually associated with a violent death.

The chain rattling goes back even further to ghost stories in Ancient Roman literature. Pliny the Younger wrote a haunted story, circa A.D. 102, with a chain rattling ghost. The ghost’s corpse is found in chains. It was believed by the Romans that chains were one of the few ways to keep a ghost from wandering about. A 4th century author asserts,

For further reference: Magic, Witchcraft, and Ghosts in the Greek and Roman Worlds: A Sourcebook, by Daniel Ogden.

Good stuff Walloon, thanks.

How can a ghost carry chains?

Why does a ghost wear clothes?
How do a dead person’s clothes turn into “spirit” clothes?
I would thing ghosts would be nekkid.

“What am I, some sort of blind ghost with clothes ?” - Geordi LaForge.