Addictive properties of licorice?

For years I could take or leave licorice. Then I went to Denmark and had licorice ice cream. Mostly because I wanted to find out what battleship-gray ice cream would taste like. (Answer: licorice.)

Well, couple week ago I saw these Sugar Free Licorette Pastilles in the store and I bought a pack. Then another. Then another. NOW I CAN’T STOP POPPING THE DAMN THINGS! They’re yummy and tingly and freshen my breath and they’re ever-so-slightly chewy, but if you just suck 'em they release this mind-searing burst of shiny black flavor.

I just wonder if there is any medically addictive substance in them, and whether I’m headed for licorice withdrawal unless I order the full store display tray. Help.

I think you should just up the ante and go hard core. I especially recommend Dutch salted liquorice, or the double-salted for the truly addicted.

Yet another reason Holland is one of the most civilized nations on the face of the Earth.

My only stipulation on licorice is that it be sugar-free. (I’m diabetic.) Are the salted varieties also sugared?

I love the double-salted. Not this guy though.

The salted licorice is something of an acquired taste. Tread lightly. :slight_smile:

I don’t know. Perhaps it’s the same thing in sugar free dentyne fire gum? I’ve been chewing so much that I have suffered chemical burns on my tongue. Seriously.