Astronauts: why pilots

Why is there a preponderance of pilots as astronauts? I know that pilots played a crucial role in the early days of the space race, but surely the maritime fraternity would be much more suitable? Psycologically speaking, particularly submariners in the case of long-term space station inhabitants

Bleh! ‘Psychologically speaking…’

Actually there was very little “piloting” to be done in the early space capsules. They mostly flew on automatic.

However, military pilots were accustomed to the g-forces and pressure variations that accompanied space travel. So it was natural to recruit them as astronauts.

I believe that most of today’s astronauts are actually scientists, not pilots.

Probably because pilots are already pre-selected for most of the physical and mental characteristics required for the early astronauts, plus I believe that the US space program began as an Air Force program, so likely had a pilot bias built in from the beginning.

True of Mercury, less true of other spacecraft. There were significant piloting challenges in the Apollo missions, for instance, such as docking, rendevous, and landing on the moon’s surface, and the same is true in many shuttle missions in which docking with a space station is necessary.

–Cliffy

Indeed, Neil Armstrong needed to be a pilot, he found the LEM was over a boulder field.
Link

There’s a great scene in the movie “The Right Stuff” where the recruiters consider various types, including, as I remember, the guys who shoot themselves out of the cannon at circuses.

And I might add that they are very nice people…