Seasonal food, drink, clothing and activities

C’mon on people-what do you enjoy about this time of year? Southern hemisphere Dopers, this is your chance to make the rest of us jealous.

Me, I like:

hot whisky
warm cider
mulled wine
open fires
wooly hats
snuggly pyjamas
pumpkin soup
roast beef, with roast potatoes and gravy
hot chocolate and marshmallows

Bleurgh, whiskey. The “adult” desire for something that tastes like wood or burnt leaves is beyond me :dubious:

But open fires, however environmentally unfriendly, are always nice. Especially with the extended holidays I get through work at a university :smiley:

More for me! :smiley:

The snow is about to fly here (a matter of hours, they tell us), so it’s time to break out my big, black, sheepskin coat. Soft and toasty. Add in my thick wool sweaters, and I’m all set to be padded and warm.

It’s also soup season, especially for my signature chili. Yum.

Peppermint stick ice cream. Yum! Hojo’s made it, back when Hojo’s existed – now a regional premium brand makes it for a month or so at the end of the year, and I’ll buy a couple of half gallons.

Heh, I started a thread on the same topic over on NADS the other week. Here’s some of mine:

• Being indoors when it’s horrible outside: I noticed this yesterday. Is there anything nicer then being snuggled up all warm and cosy when it’s blowing a gale outside and the rain’s lashing against the window?
  • Doing nothing at weekends: Technically, I can do this during the summer too. But then I have to contend with the voice of my inner Grandma, which keeps a constant muttering of “Look at all that lovely sunshine, and you’re cooped up indoors. You should be out in the fresh air. You’re wasting the best part of the day, you know”. In winter, I can stay in bed till midday, then do nothing for the rest of the day but sit around in my pyjamas watching Labyrinth for the 200th time, eating biscuits, entirely without guilt.
  • Jumpers: I love jumpers. So soft and warm and snuggly.
  • Winter drinks: Mmmm, mulled wine. Or hot chocolate with marshmallows, or with a slug of Baileys and a sprinkle of cinnamon. And whiskey with ginger ale.
  • Hot baths: Not a fun activity in the height of summer. But I decided last night, as I lay in about of foot of bubbles, surrounded by scented candles, with a large glass of wine to hand, that in winter they truly are the business.
  • Anticipating Christmas: Yes, I know not everyone likes it, and in truth the actual event can be rather stressful and anti-climactic. I’m going to be particularly on edge this year, as my mum’s spending it with me and Crusoe and his parents – it’ll be the first time they’ve met. But I love the anticipation of it. Planning the perfect presents for your loved ones, gathering recipes for lovely things to be baked, thinking about when you’ll put the tree up – I can’t get enough of it.

Word to the Peppermint Stick ice cream. Best flavor ever, especially with a fudge ribbon.

Persimmon cookies.
Pumpkin pie and roasted pumpkin seeds.
Pumpkin pancakes/pumpkin bread/pumpkin muffins/pumpkin soup
Cranberries.
Squash.
Pomegranates.
Scarves and hats.

Yep! It’s already flying (Sideways mostly. Darn wind!) on my side of the state!

I love:
Cinnamon candles
Flannel PJs
My foot-warmers (the cats)
Sitting in the hot tub when it’s snowing outside. If you’ve never tried this, you should! Just wear a stocking cap, please.
Cuddling up on the couch with a good book or movie under a nice, big blanket and listening to the wind howl outside.
Baking. Baking is no fun in the summer because it heats the house up too much
My fluffy scarf, even if it does shed on me
My collection of sweaters!
Also, I’ll second the anticipation of Christmas. The build-up is definitely better than the actual thing.

Hmmm, I didn’t know you guys eat pumpkin soup in Ireland!!!

The best thing is: Staying home from work because you can tell your manager you’re afraid of the dangerous driving conditions!!!