Secret Santa 2005

Has anyone thought about the Secret Santas for 2005 yet? I realize it’s a bit early, but since we do have folks from around the world, it’s probably good to get a head start on it. And no, I’m -not- volunteering to run it!!! LOL I’m just hoping that there will be one this year.

Could a kindly MOD please change that D to a B in the title?!

I’ve thought of it in a very general way, as in…

(while unloading new shipments at work) “Gee, that box would be perfect size to ship to my SS this year… wait, if the present I can get is that small. Hoo, boy, nevermind.”

and

“I wonder if I should buy my SS present locally, or wait to go to Portland and hope that the recipient won’t be too irritated at getting a late gift. Oh, wait, some of those people like ‘something unique to your area’ crap, and Portland’s not my area. Nevermind.”

Yeah, my brain is constantly jabbering at me, about the most mundane things, too.

Er, so, yeah, I’ve thought of it. I’m not volunteering to put it together since I hogged the valentine’s card exchange this year. :slight_smile:

I did the T-shirt exchange, so that lets me off the hook, doesn’t it, oh little red hen?

I believe green bean has been the organizer once or twice…

sits down and joins the waiting throngs

I’ll wait here, too.

I was planning to start a “Doper Christmas Ornament Exchange 2005” thread in a few days. I can’t explain why I’m willing to organize that but not Secret Santa.

Is there room for both? I don’t want to step on Secret Santa. Opinions please.

Done.

Thanks, SkipMagic!

laina_f, I think there will probably be enough interest to do both SS and a Christmas ornament exchange - at least, I don’t think there’d be any toes-stepping-on or whatever. :wink:

so … I’ll just wait until some nice someone shows up and gets things rolling too. :slight_smile:

I’d be willing to assign partners if this gets any more interest.

Possible rules could be:

1. ~$10 limit
  2. Dec. 10th deadline to sign up?
  3. Mentioning whether or not you’re willing to send things overseas, or have two giftees if there’s an uneven number of participants.
  4. Not sending anything that someone would be ashamed to open in front of their grandparents.

anything else?

People don’t usually send to who they’re getting from, to make it more of a secret. Thus you don’t need an even number of people.

Usually there are two separate pools, “domestic” and “international.” That way, the people who ship overseas also get from overseas. That’s only fair. I think Canada and US are usually lumped together though.

People will post likes, wants, etc., here for their Santa’s assistance.

The organizer will often set up a separate freebie email account to handle the logistics.

Yay **Omega Glory!

Muchas gracias, and Feliz Navidad!

Okay, sounds good to me. If you want to participate, send your name, username and address to santa.sdmb@gmail.com (please note the period between santa and sdmb). Hopefully, we’ll have enough interest to be able to generate seperate pools and everything.

Yay! I’m in – email sent.

Santa: Something from your area would be cool, or I can always use another calendar. My T-shirt size is XL. If you want to do books or CDs, my Amazon wishlist is in my real name – there’s plenty of stuff under $10 if you go used, which would be more than okay with me. My favorite color is green, and my totem animal is the flamingo.

Yay! I love Secret Santa!

Thanks again for organizing this, Omega Glory!

Email sent!

I like froofy girly things (bath stuff, hair stuff, shiny stuff), all things pink, anything horse-y or squirrell-y, food of all kinds (except fish, mushrooms, and marmite/vegemite), coffee mugs, Christmas decor, and I wear size Large shirts.

That should give my Santa plenty of ideas.

No problem twickster. Oh, some of you have sent emails, but you haven’t posted in the thread yet! Please drop in and let people know what kind of gift you’d prefer. Unless you don’t care of course.

Another thing: what about guest participation? I’m thinking that it souldn’t be allowed, just to stop random people who have no intention of giving signing up to receive, then just letting their membership lapse. I’m open to being persuaded otherwise though. Sorry, no hard feelings, guests.

I agree - must be a paying member. Don’t we usually have a rule that they have to be over 18 as well?

YAY for Omega Glory!
As last years organizer I would like to make the humble suggestions of:

1.State things you are interested in in your post to help the SS shopper out a bit.

1. After you mail off your package, post it in the thread.

2. This is important for the Organizer: When you email your info, but in the subject thread your SD name and your real name. It makes it much easier to figure out who is who when you have to re-send someone an address because they deleted it.

3. Print out everything or save to hard drive. Somehow since Xmas , I lost everything ( paper and the file. Dunno how it happened.)

4. If you have no problem signing up for International mailings or any Forgotten Dopers whose SS never got with The Program and would like to get a gift for them, say so in your signing up post.

5. International Mailings should be out by December 12-15. This is anything that is not the 48 contiguous. (Internation inclds Canada Too, as you have to fill out a customs form.)

6. All Domestic Mailings ( US) probably should be Priority Mail. It really is not that much more ( a few cents to a couple of quarters.) and gets there faster.

Yes, no one under 18 is a board rule. (It’s not a good idea for minors to give their names and addresses to online weirdos.)

And more important than posting after you mail is posting after you receive!

Don’t forget to stick a note in your package with your username so your recipient knows who the coolest Santa in the universe is!

Okay here’s the official rules for SDMB Secret Santa 2005

(Open to all paying members 18 and older) To participate, send an email with your real name, screenname and address to santa.sdmb@gmail.com

1. ~$10 limit

2. Dec. 5th deadline to sign up (note the date change!)

3. Keep the gifts family friendly

4. .State things you are interested in in your post to help the SS shopper out a bit.

5. Print out everything or save to hard drive.

6. After you send a package, post in this thread. Do the same when you receive
    your gift.

7. When you email your info, put in the subject thread your SD name and your real name. It makes it much easier to figure out who is who when you have to re-send someone an address because they deleted it.

8. If you have no problem signing up for International mailings or any Forgotten Dopers whose SS never got with The Program and would like to get a gift for them, say so in your signing up post.

9. International Mailings should be out by December 12-15. This is anything that is not the 48 contiguous. (Internation inclds Canada Too, as you have to fill out a customs form.)

10. All Domestic Mailings ( US) probably should be Priority Mail. It really is not that much more ( a few cents to a couple of quarters.) and gets there faster.

11. Send a note with your gift that contains your SDMB username.

several rules taken from Shirley Ujest’s post and other’s posts. Thanks everyone!

I’m in!

I like things that are only available where you live… um, I guess you’d call that local. I like snacks. I collect artistic representations of skulls. I’d be willing to send internationally too.

Hey! How about a Christmas Card exchange for the kids.