Muscle injury gets worse after rest

OK, this is a new one on me. If any runners and/or other knowledgable folks can tell me… what’s the nature of a muscle injury that hurts worse if you don’t use the muscle every hour or so? I’m nursing this old injury in the calf area since about 6 months. It came from running too far after too long of a hiatus. So I lay off running and start up only when the pain is minimal.

After observing this injury for a while, I notice something very odd: the injury hurts worst when I haven’t exercised the muscle for an hour or two. It hurts when I wake in the morning. At the end of a day at the office, I have to warm it up a bit before I get going. Last night after sitting through the Harry Potter movie, I found myself limping out.

I know this must be achilles, calf, or soleus, but what kind of muscle injury gets worse if you don’t constantly use the muscle?

No idea, but that really doesn’t sound good. Go see a doctor.

I’m not a doctor but most every muscle pull or strain has been like that. Pulled back muscles, ribcage muscles, ass, bicep, and hamstring. Usused it just tightens up and hurts like hell when it gets used suddenly. But during the day it gets more and more loose and more freedom of movement without pain. Then the next morning is pain from hell again.

Are you streaching before you exercising? Muscles need to be streached, particulary muscles that were torn.