Will a Rhinoceros Actually Stamp Out a Fire?

Is this a myth or do these wacky guys really get upset by fire and try to stamp it out?

“Remember, kids, only you can stomp out forest fires” – Smokey the Rhino

I presume that you are referring to the scene in The Gods Must Be Crazy.

I have never heard any such thing. I assume it was just made up for the movie.

I thought it was made up on The Simpsons, I guess the Gods Must Be Crazy reference is earlier (and perhaps was what was being spoofed, which I didn’t get at the time).

From The Gods Must Be Crazy (1980)

Narrator: The rhino is the self-appointed fire-prevention officer.
When he sees a fire, he rushes in and stamps it out.

Kate Thompson: Do you work here in Botswana?

Andrew Steyn: Yes, I-- Yes. Yes.

Kate Thompson: And what do you do?

Andrew Steyn: I-- I collect manure. I–

Kate Thompson: Get away from-- Get away from-- Leave me alone!

AndrewSteyn: Miss Thompson? - Miss Thompson? - Miss Thompson! Miss
Thompson! Oh, it’s all right. He’s gone.

Kate Thompson: Who’s gone?

Andrew Steyn: The rhinoceros.

Kate Thompson: What bloody rhinoceros?

Andrew Steyn: Didn’t you see him? He stamped out the fire.

Kate Thompson: You stamped out the fire. I saw you.

Andrew Steyn: No, he did it first. I didn’t want him to come back, so…
-But didn’t you see?

Kate Thompson: Keep away.

Andrew Steyn: Miss Thompson, if you make a fire, and a rhinoceros sees it… …he comes and stamps it out. Rhinos do that. It’s a most interesting phenomenon.

Well, these guys seem to know a lot about rhinos and they call BS:

They just forgot to include the part about stomping out all the white English hunters crouched around the fire. Extinguishing the fire was merely a side effect.

-rainy

I suppose they could find some rhinos in the wild, start a fire and see what happens. :stuck_out_tongue:

Research, man!

I hear there’s a Darwin grant waiting out there for people wanting to do close-up research with Rhinos…

Q. Why do ducks have flat feet?

A. To put out forest fires.

Q. Why do elephants have flat feet?

A. To put out flaming Ducks.

I just saw that part of The Gods Must Be Crazy recently. (The Antichrist winching itself into the tree; brilliant!) They show a rhinocerous walking to the campsite and stomping around in the fire for a couple seconds. If that’s not natural rhino behavior, it would be interesting to find out how they did it.[sup]*[/sup] Can you train a rhinocerous?

• Camera trickery, quick editing, or two people in a rhino suit[sup]+[/sup]; it’s probably something pretty mundane. Still a good movie, though.
  • I know what I want my next Halloween costume to be.

Quote: "Of course, the rhinoceros in South East Asia has become very rare is hardly ever met nowadays, as it keeps to the deep forest and high mountains. "

Stamping out fires might, perhaps, BE the reason they’re very rare!

A word tot he wise…

Fike made a Rhino fire alarm panel at one time. That’s a cached link, the system doesn’t show up on the current site. Note the Rhino logo.

It’s been a very long time since I saw the movie, but as I recall the shot of the rhino actually stomping on the fire was clearly two guys in a rhino suit.

In the event that a rhino ever joins my volunteer fire company, I’ll be sure to post to this thread. :wink: