Can SamClem stand a few more old coin questions?

Actually, anyone with an answer is fine. When my son passed away, I ended up with his ragtag coin collection. It is to “collection” as Mickey D’s is to fine dining. It was basicly a bag of old and interesting coins. I have just recently pulled it out to go through them.

I looked at this numismatic page, but it didn’t answer all my questions.

A couple foreign coin questions:

First, I have a 1911 Canadian half dollar. His little book that’s several years old, indicated it was rare, but the coin dealer I asked about it said it was worth a dollar, and he’d be happy to take it off my hands :dubious: It’s pretty worn, you can see the beading on George’s crown but not much other detail.

Second, he has a coin about the size of a nickel, on one side it has 1KR and some sort of game fish. on the other side It has a very stylized picture of a bearded man holding a staff. To me, it looks like Father Time. Around the edge, at the top, it says EIN KRONA, around the bottom edge it has ISLAND 1996. My question is simple where is it from?

One more on the foreign coins. I was planning to take a picture of this one, but my husband has the camera with him. The coin is octagonal, maybe brass. on one side it has a building, maybe a mosque. On the other there’s an irregular shape that is vaguely reminiscent of an anatomical heart. There are lines radiating from the center, and some other graphic, but I have no frame of reference, so I can’t discribe it. There’s no recognizable writing or numbers on either side. Was that vague enough? :slight_smile:

Now the regular coins:

He has a 1971 Eisenhower proof in a box. Do I need to increase my insurance coverage?

My grand father gave me an 1865 three cent silver piece when I was a child, but it has a hole in it. Is it worthless now?

I have an 1890S Morgan dollar, the eagle still has its chest hair, and an 1879S in not quite that good shape. You can see about half of lady Liberty’s curls. Are they worth anything significant? Oh, and a 1922D Peace dollar about the same shape as the 1879 Morgan.

Last question. I have one commerative coin, a 1946 Booker T Washington half dollar. Anything?
Also some silver thingys, one is a Thomas Edison "Gallery of Great Americans"1970. It’s the same size as the liberty dollars, but it doesn’t have a value printed on it. It’s in a cardboard holder, hand written on the holder is “Sterling .8 of an Ounce.”
Then there are the things that don’t even pretend to be coins. There are 6 rectangular pieces weighing an ounce each that I acquired during the Hunt brothers silver fiasco. They are also “Great Americans” I know they aren’t worth what that old boyfriend promised to pay me back. ( sorry, I digress.)

I think that’s it. There are lots of other stuff, Indian head pennies, Franklin halfs, Kennedy halfs and Eisenhower dollars, Mercury dimes, Buffalo nichels, and thousands of “wheat” pennies. I’m pretty sure the rest isn’t worth much over face.
It would sure be nice if you’d tell me we can retire, but I guess that won’t happen.
:smiley: Thanks for your time .
M

1911 Canadian half is pretty common in low grade. If you had one that looked like new you’d have a winner. I’m guessing that in low condition worth $4-10. It melts for about $3.50 right now.

You old US silver dollars we pay between $8-12. each.

ISLAND on that coin=Iceland.

1971 Brown Box Ike buy$4/sell $7

Three cent silver with hole=yep, no value. Maybe a buck for the history.

1946 BTW half-- buy $5/sell $9

Silver coins before 1965 are currently doing well, as silver is way up. We buy at 5.5 times face value.

More later.

Thank you.
I’ll try to get a picture of the octagonal piece.