Tell me about your home town

I’m sure we’ve done this before, but I did a quick search and I did’nt find anything until October of '04, which was a thread about what your town is famous for.

I grew up in Bristol, VT. A real small-town. Less than 4,000 people, lots of whom lived outside the village limits in real rural areas. At least half of my friends growing up lived in dirt roads.

As you can see in that photo, main street is straight out of 1955. Notable shops include Cubbers Pizza (the leftmost brick building in the “top row”), the Bristol Bakery (where my dad met John Ratzenberger, the guy who played Cliff on Cheers), and one of the very few actual “corner stores” I have ever seen.

Every year there is a grand Fourth of July parade, the largest in the county and one of the largest in the state. The town fire department (which my dad is the chief of, and several of my uncles and cousins and my brother are members of) brings out their 1936 engine and 1893 hose reel. In addition, there is a large festival on the green (village park in the center of town, a little to the left of that photo.) The town band (which I was a member of for a few years) plays some music, as do other performers, from African drumming, to country, to jazz.

The high school has students from four other towns as well, each one smaller (the next closest in population has less than 2,000 people.) It has a strong athletics program, with it’s basketball, baseball, soccer, and field hockey teams going to district and state championships often.

Notable businesses in the town include a couple lumber mills (lumber has a million uses), and the Autumn Harp factory, which manufactors lots of cosmetic products for stores such as Gap, Tommy Hillfiger, and The Body Shop, among others.

A notable landmark in town is the Lord’s Prayer Rock just outside the center of town. As you can see, it’s a rock, and has the Lord’s Prayer on it. For some reason, as a small child, I thought my mother wrote it. And no, I don’t know why I ever thought that.

So fess up! What makes your home town so damn special? And can it even hope to beat my home town’s awesomness?

(Hint: it can’t)

Brick, New Jersey – the main feature of my town is brake lights. It’s a small town, yet we manage to pack over 75,000 year-round residents (and that number really climbs during the summer). Everything I need is within two miles of my home, but it takes about a half-hour to get there.

As for what the town is famous for, that’d be safety. We’re always somewhere in the top three in the annual “Safest Cities” lists.

What else…ummm…oh yeah – the whole Mary Beth Whitehead/“Baby M” debacle went down here.

Kirsten Dunst lived here as a kid.

Jim Dowd was born and raised here before going on to help the Devils win the Stanley Cup (side note – I went to high school with him, and found him to be one of the larger assmunches you’d ever want to meet…of course, that was high school…who knows if he’s still that way.)

I grew up in Earlimart, Ca, halfway between Bakersfield and Fresno, halfway between LA and SF. They grow table grapes and alfafa and cotton and orange and stone fruit. 3000 people live in Earlimart and my mom and dad know all of them. I believe they were all at my wedding and the weddings of my siblings. I was baptised at the church I got married at by the priest who married my parents and baptised me and my siblings. Earlimart recently aquired a TacoBell and a mini mart called Earli-Mart. I laughed so hard I almost hurt myself. Very few people I went to school with still live in Earlimart. I haven’t lived there since I got married in '84 by the same priest who married my parents.
If you’ve ever eaten a Sunset grape, seedless and pear-flavored, it came from Earlimart.

Okay, then.

I grew up in Petaluma, California, from age 8-18, and then for another couple years after college. Hm, what can I say about Petaluma? It’s about 40 miles north of San Francisco, in Sonoma County, and about 55,000 people live there. It’s about 20 miles inland. It’s about 80% white, 15% Latino, 5% everyone else. It’s what I think of as a real town, not a planned suburban bedroom community. It was founded in the 1850s (I want to say 1855?), and back in those days it was a real trek into the city. Petaluma was largely untouched by the quake of 1906 (weird because there was major devastation to the north and south, and the greatest movement in the quake occured almost due west), so there are still a lot of old buildings from the 19th century standing, which is a little unusual in California. It shows up in movies and commercials from time to time as a result.

General Mariano Vallejo, the last Mexican governor of California, lived in the town of Sonoma, which neighbors Petaluma to the east, and his rancho was in Petaluma. It’s now a state historic park, and I believe it’s a national historic landmark, too. Was at one point the Egg Capital of the World, but the last hatchery closed when I was a kid, so it’s settled into anonymous suburbia, pretty much.

It’s a pretty nice, if boring sort of place to live. Not much to do if you’re a wine country tourist, although the vineyards continue their inexorable march to the ocean, so that might change someday. (For years Petaluma was thought of as too cool and foggy for grapes, but I guess they ran out of room everywhere else.) Still plenty of cows and other random livestock. Kind of a shame that the most memorable thing that ever happened there - to outsiders, anyway - was a notorious kidnapping and murder.

Not really my hometown, just the nearest civilization.

According to the last census, the population’s just over 10,000. One Wal-Mart, a movie theater that goes out of business every 3 months or so (and is now a part-time church) and that’s about it. Two school districts: one for the county (where I went to school,) and the city itself has one.

Famous for:

• Mayfield High School has won 7 state football titles (5 in Class AA, 2 in Class A.)

• Former Kentucky Wildcat and 1966 NBA All-Star Game MVP Adrian “Odie” Smith was born in my hometown.

• The Bruce Willis film, “In Country,” based on a novel by hometown author Bobbie Ann Mason, was shot here. Also, Jerry Seinfeld stayed at a Super 8 Motel just off the Purchase Parkway while traveling through the area. He bought ice cream and a newspaper at the Wal-Mart that night, and remarked that the place was nice. John Travolta is rumored to also vacation in the area, reportedly on the recommendation of Willis and Demi Moore.

• Continental General Tire had a plant in Mayfield for a number of years before finally stopping production about a year ago. Pilgrim’s Pride Poultry has a large chicken operation which produces chicken primarily for restaurants.

• Mayfield was the site of a convention in 1861 to discuss the secession of the Jackson Purchase from both Kentucky and the Union to join Tennessee.

My home town, Sydney, the capital of New South Wales, is fairly large (population approx 4.2 million) and pretty well known, with these two being its most obvious images:

Sydney Harbour Bridge

Sydney Opera House

I grew up in Salt Lake City, Utah. Home of the three M’s: Mormons, Mountains, and…uh…Magcorp, yeah.

The first adds an interesting zest to the social atmosphere.
The second makes for a beatiful sight no matter where you look.
The third injects a hefty dose of pollution that they’re going to clean up any day now.

I was in high school during the Olympics. It meant two weeks off, since the school was two blocks away from the medals plaza. Not that anyone would have gone anyway. I lived a couple blocks from the main arena, too, which meant a continuous deafening roar of helicopters overhead. Plus bone-shaking fireworks every once in a while. I did not go to any events, but I did go to the awesome art exhibits that came along with it.

It has the amenities of any large city, and a very wide variety of extremisms. Strong culture produces strong counterculture. In addition, there are a hell of a lot of nice restaurants, and some interesting architecture. I believe SLC is also the home of Maddox, a minor internet celebrity.

Hailing from Utah gives one a curious mixture of embarassment and pride. No, I don’t know any polygamists.

I grew up in a little town in Southern Ontario, where the population sign read 2200 for as long as I can remember. It had one stoplight, the intersection of which was “downtown,” two competing grocery stores on opposite corners, two banks, a laundromat, a Five and Dime store, a hardware store, a furniture store, a post office, a TV/appliance store, a bowling alley, a pool hall with ancient pool tables, three barbers, a car repair shop, a shoe store, two womens’ clothing stores, two gas stations, two doctors, a hospital, a Canadian Tire, a Stedman’s department store, a library, a hockey arena, three restaurants, an IDA drug store with a soda fountain, a convenience store with a soda fountain and lunch counter, a park that eventually got a swimming pool, four churches, two public schools and one Catholic school, a high school, three bars (one was a Legion hall), a liquor store (anybody remember when it was the Brewer’s Retail and the LCBO?) and a grain mill. Not much else, really. There was a working CN train station a couple of blocks from me, where I used to go visit the guys who worked there. The town was basically an intersection of two train routes. This isn’t really germane to the story, but to indicate how sheltered it was, there were no people of color there until 1973. The folks who weren’t of English, Irish and Scottish descent were Italian, French-Canadian, from the Netherlands/Scandinavia or Polish/Slavic.

The main industries were the gypsum mine and the limestone quarry. Next to that, it was farmers. One farmer became wealthy running a dairy. He bottled milk in his dairy on the far east end of town, and they still operate a dairy bar on the northern outskirts, on the highway into town. They make the world’s best ice cream. I believe that Todd, with whom I went to school, runs it now. The town had a newspaper, with a printing press that must have been a hundred years old when I was a kid. I remember they poured molten metal into moulds to make each letter, in reverse, and set the letters by hand in a frame, rolled ink over it and pressed newsprint on top. You could go to the post office several times a day and find new mail in your mailbox.

It was pretty idyllic for quite awhile. Nobody had to lock their doors until 1975 or so, when the native teens from the reserve started coming into town to steal peoples’ cars and walk into their houses to steal stuff. Before that, there was so little crime that the police station, with its three cops, closed down and moved to another town. The big, old grain mill closed down when they built a giant grain elevator next to the tracks at the end of my street. The other train route went by the other end of my street. People always used to ask us, “how can you sleep with the trains going by so close?” After awhile, you didn’t notice it. Really, the only time you became aware of the trains was at 3 AM on a summer night, with no air circulating in your room, and the trains would be running a few blocks away, pulling forward very slowly, stopping, starting up again to run backwards to smash into another set of cars. Then they’d screech to a stop and repeat the process until they had a big, long train of cars. Then it’d be time to get up. Damned trains.

Because of the limestone bed the town sits on, the water was scary hard. You couldn’t drink it without going “yeccccchhh!” It would leave lime deposits on your pipes and stain your sinks and toilets. Eventually your kettle would become unusable because it had an inch of hardened lime sediment on the bottom. Just inside our back door was a really old water purifier that was always a lime-encrusted sculpture as long as I can remember it. I don’t think it worked. One year they tested the water, and found it to be the second-hardest water in North America, next only to Salt Lake City. Nowadays, decent, soft water is pumped in from the nearest city.

The school where I did grades 1, 2, 6, 7 and 8 was so old that there was surviving grafitti carved into the outside wall from the 1880s. The property backed onto someone’s farm. They had a couple of horses, which would amble up to the fence at recess and lunch, when there would always be kids there to feed them handsfull of grass or apples, or give them sugar cubes through the fence.

Every year, there was a Dominion Day parade (July 1). One year (1967?) my friend Mark and I built a go-kart out of spare wood and buggy wheels, and decorated it all cool, and entered it in the parade. We won a ribbon for it. Then there would be a fair at the park, with a few rides, and food, and musical entertainment, and a beer tent for the grownups.

I don’t think anyone famous has come from there. The closest we got is a guy I went to school across town with, who is now a Member of Parliament. There was a fire at the tire dump outside of town that burned for weeks, sending up a column of thick, black smoke. People still remember that, and there are T-shirts to commemorate it, but it happened after I had moved away. I’ve only been back twice since 1976; once to show my wife-to-be all these places I’ve described, and once when I got my green card and went back for the last time.

It has changed radically in the time I’ve been away. The big field across the street from my house is now the site of a Tim Horton’s. The grain elevator at the end of the street was torn down and is an empty lot. They have cable TV. Only one set of train tracks survives. My best friend from childhood still lives there, and so does his dad. Other than them, I don’t think anybody from when I was a kid is still stuck there… we all escaped. Hopefully, anyway.

I was born in and continue to live in Lancaster, California. That’s Lan-caster, not Lanc-aster, like those people in Pennsylvania will tell you ;). The aerospace industry is huge here; we’re close to Edwards AFB, where Chuck Yeager broke the sound barrier in the X-1. Sometimes the Space Shuttle still lands there; the noise is unmistakable. Burt Rutan is also located in the general area (a bit north of me, in Mojave).

On the other hand, the Flat Earth Society is based out of here. That’s Lancaster for you.

Outside the aerospace industry, most people commute to LA. Lured by the promise of low pollution and low(er) housing costs, more and more people are moving out here. More and more rolling hills, alfalfa fields, and wildflower-strewn desert is making way for tract housing.

Oh, I feel I should also mention that my hometown has never had, and still does not have, any fast food joints, no Wal-Mar,t M-Mart or any other box store, and very few national chain stores at all and lots of local shops. There is a Shaw’s (a northeast grocery store, the only one in town), a Brooks pharmacy (again, the only one,) a Mobil gas station and a Shell station, and a True Value hardware store. Every other store is owned locally. There’s not even a national bank chain, just two statewide banks. They have one Chinese take out place, and it only got there my junior year of high school (I’m 23, for a referenceto how lnog ago that was.)

There is a laundromat/coffee shop in town called “Sip 'n Suds.” On its sign is an anthropormorphic washing machine and coffee cup. The washing machine is a guy and the cup is a girl, and I always thought the washing machine was “making eyes” at the coffee cup.

I should also point out that oen of the big thing to do on Saturday in Bristol is go to the dump. For those who are confused, in many rural areas, there is limited or no curbside trash pick-up, you have to bring your garbage to the landfill (“dump”) yourself. Our town does have curbside pick-up (picked up by a couple of guys in a horse drawn cart, no less, featured on the NY Times and one of those morning shows (i want to say Good Morning America)), but only in the village proper, not on the rural areas, and it costs more money to do curbside than to drop it off yourself. So you’d load up your truck (because everyoen has a truck with all your trash and recyclables and head on over. Recylcing is considerably less expensive than normal garbage (I think you pay about $20 for a yearly permit to recycle, trash is a couple of bucks a bag, or by the pound if you want.) To keep overhead down on the recycling side, everyone sorts their own stuff at the center. You bring your bag of cans to the can area and empty it, then your glass to the glass area, newspapers over there, etc…This causes you to be there for a while and odds are you’ll stop and chat with all your friends and neighbors also at the dump that day. Good times had by all.

I grew up in Palos Park, Illinois. The population back then was around 3,300 - my Dad was the Village Treasurer for a number of years, and after retiring from the Phone Company, worked as the Village Manager. Most everyone commuted into the city for work - Palos barely rated a stop sign, let alone an industrial district. :wink:

Hmm - things to say about Palos - we have a lot of Forest Preserves - Swallow Cliff Toboggan Slides (recently reopened!!!) is there - I used to walk to it from where I lived. Here’s a good picture of the slides. Other things I remember - eating ice cream at The Plush Horse every Sunday after church - bike riding all over town - “come home when it’s dark” was what all our parents said. :slight_smile: We were all over the paths by the CalSag Canal - that was always fun. And hoo-boy could we get ourselves in some trouble. :smiley:

We used to go to The Matterhorn for special occassions - Frank Pellico played the organ there as the entertainer - I have one of his albums. I had my very first kiddie cocktail at The Deacon’s Bench - it was a restaurant/shopping center that was on 123rd St across from the Lumber Yard/Train Station (they shared) - it’s not there anymore or it has another name - I haven’t been there in 15? years so I’m not sure…My mom knew Dianne Masters - she had had dinner with her shortly before her disappearance AT the Deacon’s Bench, FWIW.

I’ve not been back as I said for some time - the last time I was there there were Apartments going up by the school I used to go to - it used to be nothing but cornfields! Everything down there has changed - and I don’t like change all that much - it makes me sad to think that all the stuff I knew as home is now different. When my parents sold the house I grew up in it was the last straw - the year they adopted me, my dad planted an evergreen in the front lawn - I have a picture of him standing next to it my first Christmas putting the top Christmas light on it - by the time I moved away, he had to get on the roof and then use a pole to put the top light on. The first thing the people who bought my parents house did was chop down that tree. :frowning: I don’t think I’ll ever go back.

Ravenna, Ohio, pop 12,000. Probably down to 10,000 now. It’s always been largely a bedroom community, being not far from Akron and Cleveland, but when I was growing up it was almost entirely self-contained. Three or four clothing stores, three hardware stores, drug stores (two with soda fountains), bakery, sporting goods, etc., plus it’s the county seat. We had a cool 19th century courthouse that was torn down and replaced with a big ugly box.

Early claims to fame were glass and grain (Quaker was originally a Ravenna company. The Quaker mill was not one of the larger mills that formed Quaker Oats, but it had the coolest name). Merts and Riddle (later Riddle Coach and Hearse) was the main company in the late 19th and early 20th century. A few presidents took their last ride in one of their hearses. Still later, a lot of small rubber factories sprang up. These included Oak Rubber, which produced most of the toy balloons of the time, and Pyramid Rubber, which made Evenflo baby bottles. And still later, there were a couple of companies that made all the plastic panels in airliners. And then, of course, was the Ravenna Arsenal, which was a huge deal in WWII, and also (to a lesser extent) during the Vietnam war.

Ravenna was settled by people of British (and later Irish) decent, but the founder called it Ravenna because (supposedly) his wife or somebody visited Ravenna, Italy and was thorougly impressed. When waves of Italians started immigrating, they looked at the map and said, “Hey, must be a lot of Italians there.” And so, in the end, there were. As a result, we had some really outstanding restaurants and pizza joints. And there was a mafia presence, too. I lived next door to a guy who ran slots around WWII. One of his relatives had the best restaurant in town, which blew up under mysterious circumstances.

Nowadays, of course, most of the stores and industry are gone. Downtown is mostly junk shops. There’re a few small rubber and tool & die places, but not enough to keep the town going. But the location is still attractive as a bedroom community, and real estate prices are low. The county is growing, as Streetsboro and Aurora, which are closer to Cleveland, attract a lot of people, but Ravenna is shrinking. But they just built a new stadium, they’re going to build a new high school, the town has the county’s hospital, and there’s a med school just outside of town. So don’t shed any tears.

I grew up in Lake Oswego, OR. It’s the “wealthy” suburb of Portland. Perfect combination of modern suburbia and occupied “forest.”
We could ride our bikes down to Rosewood Market and spend every penny of our allowance 'cause we could add and not worry about sales tax.
The high school was at the top of a hill, and if it was snowed in (ie, busses couldn’t get up) the whole district got a snow day, even if the bottom of the hill wasn’t too bad.
At least south of the lake, where we lived, too many people were jerks.

Well, at the moment, I can still win the smallest hometown award. According to the Census data, the population was 1404 in 2000. There are no stop lights, and when I grew up, no stores, no gas station, no library, no nuttin’. There are 3 churches - a Methodist (where my family went until I was a teen), a Baptist, and one of the really conservative types but I don’t remember which denomination. There is one bar… because you can’t live in such a rural place without drinking heavily.

My school had K-12 in one building, and there were only about 300 students total. I graduated in a class of 25, but that number included 4 exchange students. Half of the class had been together since kindergarten. A few of them still live in the area. One of them teaches at the school we went to and another has a kid in her class.

We had to drive 1/2 an hour each way to go to the grocery store (well, actually there was one about 10 min away but it was really small and overpriced and had crappy food) and the same distance to go to the movies. But that town only had one movie theater (as in one screen, not one big theater with lots of screens) so usually we went a bit further to the town with 3 whole theaters, one of which actually had 6 screens IIRC.

Growing up in the country is great. There was lots of open woods to explore and play in (and for some people to grow pot in… not me though!). It was safe. But that’s about it. I would never move back and I never want to live in a rural area again. It is way too inconvenient to do ANYthing, and there are no jobs. It’s one of the poorest counties in the state, and lots of the people who still live there are on welfare. Which also means that a social life revolves around the bar or church, neither of which are really where I want to spend my time.

I was born and raised in Kingfisher, Oklahoma. A town of about 4,500 population 40 miles northwest of Oklahoma City. The economy is based on wheat, beef and oil/gas production. Kingfisher is also the headquarters for a electric cooperative and a telephone company (where I am employed).

The populations is 85% white, 6% hispanic, 2% black and 6% native american.

Some of Kingfisher’s claims to fame are:
[ul]Kingfisher was a station on the Chisholm Trail[/ul]
[ul]Sam Walton, founder of Wal-Mart, and at one time the richest man in the world, was born in Kingfisher. The local Wal-Mart has a display in the lobby about this.[/ul]
[ul]Mr. Coleman invented his lantern in Kingfisher, but couldn’t get any financial backers there so he moved somewhere else to start his company.[/ul]
[ul]Kingfisher was one of the towns established in the original Oklahoma Land Run of 1889.[/ul]
[ul]We had a Parade All-America Linebacker last year - Curtis Lofton.[/ul]

I grew up in Tinton Falls, NJ ages 5-18.
A small town that was called New Shrewsbury but changed its name when I was little, around '75.
At least one other Doper went to Monmouth Regional with me. She is mainly a lurker though.

There are now 15,053 people in Town, When we moved in it was around 6000.
The Town borders two military bases and has the Country Dump. It is a long skinny town and was farm land originally.
It has 4 parkway exits because the Parkway bisects the town.

I grew up in a neighborhood with a large Horsefarm in it, a small Creek, a Marsh, an old cemetary and a Navy Railroad. It was a pretty good place to be a kid.

Four years ago I moved nearby. I live only 4 miles from where I grew up.

Jim

My first hometown (Geyserville, CA) is famous for the wineries that have become more notable over the last 10 years in Northern CA. It’s about 80 miles north of San Francisco, in the same county where Kyla grew up. (In fact, my friends and I used to drive to her hometown to see ska shows)

The population (when I lived there) was about 850 people. I think now it’s a little higher, maybe 1000 or so. There used to be a gas station but that closed down at some point. There is also a post office, several bed and breakfasts, a couple of schmancy restaurants, a little corner store where I used to get popsicles, a PG&E (Pacific Gas & Electric) station and a volunteer fire department.

The schools are K-5 and 6-12 and there average between 15 and 30 students per grade level. There’s one church and one daycare and one preschool. To grocery shop, go to the doctor, or see a movie you drove to Healdsburg, a much larger town six miles to the south.

My second hometown (Cloverdale, CA) is 88 miles north of SF (northernmost town in Sonoma County) and used to be the first stoplight on highway 101 north of SF. It’s most famous for being the place where Polly Klaas’s body was found. Also notable was when two kids in my sister’s class hacked into the CIA in 1998 (my sister was interviewed by the Washington Post!).

When we first lived there (the late 80s) it had truckstops, gas stations, greasy spoons, and not much for a kid to do. The movie theater closed down and didn’t reopen until maybe 1999. In 1995 the freeway bypass was finished so 101 didn’t go through town anymore and a lot of the truckstops and greasy spoons closed down. Also, some of the local industry shut down. The town has spend the last decade trying to bring in money and revitalize the downtown. There are now 3 stoplights in town (not one). Population is about 6500 and when I lived there about 5000.

There’s a K-2, a 4-8, and a high school (though they really need new schools as the current ones are waaaaay overcrowded - unfortunately, there’s no more land on which to build schools). Class sizes range from 150 kids to 80 kids or so at graduation. There still isn’t much to do in town, but there are some restaurants (no longer any greasy spoons, really), about 16 formal churches, a city park, and an active community invested in kids. I was bored when I lived there but I had a lot of people rooting for me and all the kids in town.

My first hometown - From the ages of 4-18 I lived in Monroe Twp., New Jersey. Monroe is just about 40 miles south of NYC, exit 8A off the NJTPK. It’s a little over 40 square miles, with, according to 2000 census data, a population of about 28,000. When I lived there the population was probably a third of that or less.

When we first moved there, and up until about my teen years, many of the roads, including the road to my elementary school, were made of dirt. It was mainly a farming community with small developments springing up. There was no real downtown area, the closest thing to one being in Jamesburg , a town that was at one time part of Monroe, and I believe is sort of surrounded by it.

There were no stores of any significance until my pre-teen years when a couple of small strip malls opened up. There were no grocery stores or any kind of department stores until my teen years, when the Township became a place known for it’s gated retirement communities like Concordia, Clearbrook, and Rossmoor and a FoodTown opened up down the road from my high school in another new strip mall. The area was originally populated by the Lenni-Lenape, I used to go out and find arrowheads on walks through the woods behind my house. There’s really nothing spectacular about Monroe, it’s just an average Central Jersey suburb/farming community. It is a beautiful area though.

My new hometown is in between Kyla’s hometown of Petaluma and mlerose’s hometown of Geyserville.

Santa Rosa (pop. about 155,000) is just about 50 miles north of San Francisco in the heart of Sonoma’s wine country, covering about 40 square miles.

The town started as the rancho of General Vallejo’s mother in law, Dona Maria Carrillo.

It became the seat of Sonoma County in 1854 when a couple of businessmen sensed the growth of the area and held a lavish BBQ (Santa Rosa BBQ!) to woo voters. Until that winning vote, the town of Sonoma, home of the Bear Flag Revolt, had been county seat.

Santa Rosa was nearly flattened in the earthquake of 1906 and suffered greater damage and loss of life proportionately (by the earthquake) than any other city in California, including San Francisco.

Some notable residents have included Luther Burbank, Robert Ripley, Charles M. Schulz, Levi Leipheimer, and “Deep Throat” William Mark Felt.

It’s a gorgoeus area. Rolling hills and vineyards, farms, a lively and yet still quaint downtown area, gourmet shops, fabulous restaurants, and quite possibly the best brewpub in America. :wink: It’s close enough to the city, the coast, the country, and the mountains, making it comparable (to me) to the general area of NJ I grew up in, only with better weather. And more expensive.

I grew up in Chagrin Falls, Ohio (hi Kelly5078!), which was a sleepy stand-alone village which has now become another bedroom community of the Cleveland area. It still has less than 5000 people. It sits in a very pretty area east of the big city, in tree-covered rolling hills and with a picturesque waterfal in the center of town. It was a quiet place in the 60’s, although it had some wealthy people and a lot of cliques. It also had (and has) one of the best public school systems in the US.

It is now ridiculously expensive, a really hot property for wealthy people. My old house in the village is worth something like TEN TIMES what we sold it for in 1972.

Perhaps as a function/reaction to its sad-sounding name, it has spawned several funny people. Tim Conway is from there and was usually the grand marshall of the annual Blossom Time parade. The late Doug Kenney, the co-founder of National Lampoon, grew up there. And Bill Watterson, the creator of Calvin and Hobbes, was my friend and classmate throughout elementary school and junior high. (My parents moved to Kentucky when I started high school…)

Chagrin is still quaint, but is more manuafactured/yuppie quaint now, rather than the real thing. I still like to visit now and then, even though I know practically nobody there.

Wasn’t Doug Kenney Stork in Animal House? I know he died young. But he wrote two of the funniest movies ever. Along with Animal House he did Caddy Shack also. Probably others I don’t know of.

More importantly: That is so cool you knew one of the greatest Comics writers ever. **Was he at all like Calvin? **
Does **Susie Derkins ** or **Nivlac ** know this about you?

Jim