What can I do with an acre of land?

I inherited an acre of land. it is like an hour from me, I already own a house and this land is in the sticks so I don’t want to live there. But I don’t want to sell it either…what are some ideas for things I could use it for?

Campground for the weekends. Too small for crops, and you’d have to be out there all the time. You could lease it to a neighbor. Build a house and rent it. Screw the house you already own and move to the new land. Build a secret room to hide kidnap victims under the ground. Store junk Camaros-on-blocks there.

I know what I would do with it!

(Notice what I use for my “location.” It is taken from this poem which I often escape to in my mind and would in reality if I could:

The Lake Isle of Innisfree by W. B. Yeats

If it were me, I’d plant it over in valuable hardwoods. The thing is, most valuable hardwoods start out as weeds, so you can get going for nothing. The wait may be a little long, but what the heck. If there are trees there already, thin out the ones that aren’t standing straight, or are deformed. Sell those for firewood. There you, silviculture 101.

I inherited about an acre around 25 years ago. It was a kind of camping time share kind of deal. Well, not really a time share, but an association deal. It was on a small lake. You could camp and/or build a summer cabin. Problem was you had to pay association dues, plus taxes. By the time I got it both fees were several years behind. I just let them take it back for what was owed.
You can easily check these things out, but most unincorporated areas require a minimum 3 to 5 acres for a septic tank and/or water well. Raw land is an alligator, it just costs you money in taxes and maintenance. Some places require that you keep the weeds and brush cleared for fire safety. Unless you have some specific plans for the, not to distant, future, or there’s a good chance it will dramatically rise in value, I’d sell it. The adjacent landowners will be your best bet.

You could build an airport with a giant treadmill for a runway.

I needed a good laugh. :stuck_out_tongue:

I rented mine out to the adjoining property owner for pasture. At the time it was transferred to me the neighbor asked to buy it but I kept it for sentimental reasons. I did promise him the right of first refusal. When the time came a real estate firm gave me an opinion of the value IF it weren’t surrounded by the adjacent owners land.
I offered it at that price and he was glad to accept it at that price. Came out in good shape except for having to pay income tax to the state the land was on as will as FIT. I never asked for an increase in the rent but he paid the going rate anyway.
Gentlemens’ agreements and only legal paperwork was the deed transfer stuff.

My suggestion is to do much the same. At some time you will have no use/need for it and then is the time to sell it to someone who can use it or wants it.

Use it as your own personal campground. When you aren’t using it, let friends and family use it. Let local Boy/Girl Scout troops know about it and let them use it for their outdoor activities.

Remember people, an acre is a pretty small area of land, about the size of 2 or 3 suburban lots. You could pitch a tent on a one acre lot, but unless the adjacent lots are all woodland you’ll be right on top of the neighbors, not much different than camping in the backyard.

What kind of neighborhood is it? That has everything to do with it.

Cityfolk like to tend a garden in the sticks sometimes. You could break it out into 1/8 acre spots and let folks plant on it for a fee (fresh veggies being the fee).

Fruit trees?

Build a log cabin and plant beans. Write an American classic on solitude and simplicity.

Helps if you have a lake nearby, though.

Yeah, like he said.

It would help to know a little bit more. What sort of terrain is this land comprised of? Forest, waterrfront, desert, what? What sort of land is around it? Would any local ordinance restrict what kind of buildings you could put up?

If it was me, the land was a quiet piece of woods, and I had the financial resources, I would build a nice little cabin (with a nice big whine cellar).

Contact local Airsofters and see if they want to use it to shoot in (BB’s, harmless for the most part).

Or paintballers, but be aware of the potential splatter of water soluble paint.

Build a pagan temple.

Put up a 10’ wall around the entire property, seal the gate, and don’t open it again for 10 years. See what happens.

Build the largest model railroad line ever.

or the smallest Maze garden.

Gold.

I like the way you think. Perhaps he could put up some kind of mini gothic cathedral made of black stone and iron, with spikes and gargoyls jutting out everywhere. And then he could put a ten foot up wall around the place, and only go in at night, and play a big pipe organ with the sound of women screaming in the background. And, maybe, have some kind of big, crazy dogs that attack people who try to sneak in… Oh, oh, and there’d have to be some kind of automated system that whenever it sensed movement on the property would make a lound scary voice boom out (from hidden speakers) "BE GONE FROM HERE, PATHETIC MORTAL CREATURES!"

Yeah, that would be awesome.

Where you could sit and complain that no one comes to visit you…

Depending on the shape of the lot, you could make your own personal football field. But you might have to skimp on the endzones a bit, as you’ll be 360 square feet short.

Build a brothel