Oxnard, California here I come!

We will be relocating to Oxnard, California in mid May. I am still trying to convince myself that this will be a good thing, so please, help me out here! Tell me all the wonderful parts about living in the northern part of southern California (Oxnard/Ventura is southern, right? Or is it the southern part of central?), and maybe just lightly gloss over the not so wonderful parts, if you could.

I have been assured that the ocean breezes keep the coast cool (I hate heat – anything over 80ºF is icky), and I’m not particularly worried about earthquakes, and am in a state of bliss dreaming about the produce. What else should I be anticipating?

Thanks – D

There’s only one thing you need to know about Oxnard – It’s “Drano” spelled backward without the X.

Well, since I’m currently in Butte (Montana), that’ll be slightly less toxic.

The office is in Oxnard, but we might be living in Ventura. Maybe. Depending on if whats-his-face vacates the “good” condo in time. Is there a huge difference in that 10 miles?

I sense a big difference, but it might be hard to explain. Ventura is a bit groovy and touristy but not Santa Barbara–a bit of a strange place. Oxnard seem to me much more suburban tract neighborhoods in the outskirts and town itself is more or less run in Spanish, which is totally fine but the economy doesn’t seem all that great and it just seems a bit grotty (to me-- I haven’t lived there but in SB country nearby). I find Ventura OK but dislike the parts of Oxnard I’ve seen that weren’t downtown/ Spanish-speaking. YMMV.
Someone from Ventura county will arrive to correct my misconceptions, however. My knowlege is pretty superficial.

Oh, that’s true about the weather-- it’s pretty fair because of the east-west coastline. The avocados will be great, and the cherimoyas, and Mexican food.

Talk about yer’ culture shock!
Oxnard/Port Hueneme/Ventura was a cool place to be in the 60’s, early 70’s. I’ve traveled through the area several times since and I’m always amazed at the change. The climate is good. It gets hot in summer, but year round you will find it very mild. Look for the bottle brush trees, they always amazed me. L.A.'s only about 90 minutes (including traffic) w/ all it’s splendor. :slight_smile: Great beaches, terrific scenery along the coast, even some mountains nearby, not the Rocky’s though.
What takes you there?

Forget driving south if you can avoid it. From Oxnard, the best drive is north to Pismo Beach, Santa Barbara and the Santa Ynez Valley.

‘Oxnard’ always makes me laugh. Sounds like a bovid penis.

Bonus points (worth absolutely nothing) to anyone who knows how to pronounce that. (Incidentally, my ex-fiancée was born there.)

I’m assuming that since I went to UCSB undergrad, I’m not allowed to play?

Y-knee-me, what do I win?

Nice to hear about the weather, and the avocados (yum!)

The culture shock will probably be pretty intense at first. My entire California experience consists of a week in Disneyland 30 years ago. I’m a bit of a hick :wink: but I adapt fairly well.

We’re going there for work. Hubby will be West Coast Director of Operations for a smallish but rapidly growing construction company <I’ll pause now for the gasps of awe & joy> I’m not thrilled about leaving Montana, but I’m not going to miss this little corner of Butt at all. In theory, we’ll retire and go back to Twin Bridges, in 5 or 10 or 15 years. Until then, I get to be a yuppie (old-uppie?)

Are bottle brush trees the twisty ones? I’ve heard about those.

(“Oxnard” sounds like a Bulgarian sneeze word to me)

Absolutely worthless bonus points! And here they are. (…)

According to Cynthia Fox and Paraquet Kelly, it’s pronounced “Port Why-Not-Me.”

Bonus points to anyone who can name the station.

Ventra County is wonderful. The weather is great year-round. Oxnard is famous for its strawberries.

I grew up in nearby Camarillo. Its a nicer town, and now very expensive. Oxnard was the fast growing big city in the area. Other cities had stronger growth controls.

Oxnard does have a more Latino population. Camarillo is less economically and ethically diverse. Oxnard began as a farming community and still is to a large degree. You will likely see a lot of migrant farm workers in the Oxnard area.

Venura is great. I would love to live there. The history of settlement of the area revolves around the mission in downtown Ventura. The shops on Main Street Ventura are very nice for strolling around. The pier and the city hall are nice too.

The Dallas Cowboys have training camp in Oxnard in the summer if you like that kind of thing.

The beaches are great. I seem to recall 5th Street Beach and Silver Strand being the better beaches in Oxnard. Point Mugu is a nice day trip, or any drive along PCH (Highway 1).

Santa Barbara is another nice day trip. The beaches are nice, and State Street is an interesting shopping experience. However, I prefer Ventura to Santa Barbara. I like it, but just about all the architecture in downtown Santa Barbara is mission style adobe type stuff. Some people find it monotonous. Also, Santa Barbara seems more snooty rich than Ventura. The Santa Barbara mission and courthouse are also nice.

Ventura is officially San Buenaventura (Saint Bonaventure) by the way. I seem to recall that the name was unofficially shortened in the late 1800s because it would not fit on the train schedule.

DO NOT equate Ventura with “L.A.” You will make enemies quickly. :slight_smile: The mess that is LA begins roughly in Calabasas or Woodland Hills. The Santa Monica Mountains separate LA and Ventura areas.

A nice thing to do is to go bike riding along the Old PCH near Seacliff exit off Highway 101.

One thing to know is that when you drive toward LA from Camarillo and Highway 101 climbs up a mountainside from Camarillo to Thousand Oaks, that climb is called the Conejo Grade or simply “The Grade.” When you hit The Grade with a small engine, it’s a good idea to pick up some momentum just before you start your climb. It’s not unusual to come up quickly at 60 MPH behind small cars going 40 MPH approaching the top of the hill.

Oh, and I would say that Ventura County is the southern part of the Central Coast or “Gold Coast.” Ventura is not generally considered to be the northern part of SoCal. The dividing line for SoCal is generally considered the Tehachapi Mountains. On the coast, this means San Luis Obispo (aka “SLO” pronounced “slow”) is generally considered the northern part of SoCal or the Central part of the Central Coast. SLO is also a very nice place to visit with another nice historic mission.

Port Huneme = Port Why-Knee-Me

Paraquat Kelley was on KLOS

Oxnard’s Chamber of Commerce used to say, “Oxnard, more than just a pretty name.”

ethnically * :smack:

It was more accurate the first time. :smiley:

KLOS = wrong!

Holy Crap, KMET :smack:

Ojai (pronounced “O-hi”) is a cute little town back in the hills near Oxnard, with one of the bestest ever used-book stores.

Bow three times in the direction of Jim Ladd as penance.

Too late Johnny, my favorite barmaid already gave me the credits! The tab is in the mail.