Quiche - Can I make it the night before?

Or will it get soggy in the fridge? Should I just plan on prepping the ingredients and baking it in the morning?

I have to make this for a bridal shower (and transport it about 20 minutes to my SIL’s house), so I’d rather not have to get up any earlier than necessary. :smiley:

I my experience, it’s not as good the next day.

Yeah, about the only thing you can do the night before is pre-mix the ingredients.

The crust is the problem - soggy crust a possibility. Prebaking it should solve most problems, but assembling and preparing the ingredients the night before then placing into the crust in the morning is best.

Thanks all, I was afraid of that.

Why, oh why didn’t I try harder to talk my mom and SIL out of a brunch shower? :smack:

This might be silly, but you never know until you ask.

Most quiche recipes don’t bake very long – 40 minutes tops. Is there any way you could take all the ingredients, ready to go except for assembly, and bake the quiche at your SIL’s house? It seems like there might be less chance for disaster in transporting the makings of a quiche than a piping hot, fresh-from-the-oven one. And assuming you have to arrive before the party starts to help with set-up, then it could bake while you are all doing that.

In my experience, quiche is fine the next day, and the next, and the next.

I should be more specific: leave it to cool on a rack, then, still in its dish, transfer into the fridge and leave it in the fridge uncovered. Make sure you use a short crust to repel moisture. You should be able to eat it sliced or cold, or return to the oven at about 200° for about 15-20 minutes to reheat.

There is of course a chance that the quiche you eat over there is different to that over here.

Damn, three posts in a row due to me being stupid. I have no idea why I said “sliced or”. Please ignore: I was too busy thinking of the two “brunch quiches” I just bought from the supermarket and was salivating and thinking about eating them.

Whatever you do, do not reheat it in a microwave. “Alas, poor Candice, we hardly knew ye.”

Not a bad idea, but I don’t think SIL has the oven space (she’s making a quiche too, as is my mom).

If I prep everything Friday night and assemble on Saturday morning, I can take a shower and get dressed while the quiche is in the oven. So I guess it really won’t take that much more time.

Thanks for the suggestions anyway! Now all I have to do is decide which recipe to make. :smiley:

One thing you could probably get away with is putting the crust in the dish and freezing it overnight. I make quiches with frozen crusts all the time. Making the crust is really the most time-consuming part anyway.

Yes, freezing is the answer. Whenever I make quiche, I make at least three of them (same work as doing one). Then I get a large, zip-lock bag, close it until it is almost closed, put a straw in the bag and suck out the air until it is as air tight as you can get it. Then, very carefully, walk it over and put it in the freezer (so you don’t spill it).

I find they last a long time in the freezer, and when you are ready for a fresh quiche some morning after a long night out, simply pull out the frozen one, slap it in the oven and voila! As if you had spent all morning preparing it, and it comes out just as good as the fresh one!

Wha? Quiche is meant to be eaten the next day… cold. Hot quiche is nice but cooling the quiche allows it to firm up more and creates a wondeful custardy texture. Just make sure to throughly cook any ingredients your adding in (especially mushrooms) so that they don’t leak and soggy up the crust. And also parbaking the crust before filling gives you a bit more protection.